Picking a cat / fostering a cat

Old March 24th 05, 05:20 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
David via CatKB.com wrote:
Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering

cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong

with
that?

There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
just fine with you again.

He wants a problem free cat. He is intent on hedging his bets, not
willing to take the gamble we all take. If he had brought my Cheeks
home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack.

....or he would have conjured up a story and/or exaggerated the seriousness
of her condition to justify killing her because she didn't live up to his
expectations.

He actually resents spending money that he might need for *himself* on 'his'
cats.

And she
is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.

That's because you have a natural affinity with cats. He doesn't.

Old March 24th 05, 05:39 PM
CatNipped

"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I'm aware of that - this is a little more simple, it's just space related.
The adoption agency only has so much room at the pet store, they can't
keep
pets in certain areas overnight. Weekends are the big adoption time (they
get really busy, which is nice)..So they really just need people to keep
the cats during the week when it's slow.

The cats have all been pre-screened, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for
adoption...So there's not as great a chance of behavioral/health
issues..It
also lets people "try out" a cat and if it doesn't work out they can
return
it. If it does work, then they can drop off a donation check.

Not a bad system, I think.

Yeah, just like buying a pair of shoes - if they don't fit or don't match
your outfit just return 'em for a money-back refund. ****NOT****!!!!

Adopting a cat is like adopting (or birthing) a child - you take what you
get, warts and all, and you make accomodations in your lifestyle to
integrate that new life into your family! If they have problems, mental or
physical, you do *EVERYTHING* in your power to correct those problems, but
even if those problems can't be fixed you *STILL* don't give up on them but
love them even more and take care of them in whatever way they need. Would
you take a child who stops eating to a pediatrician and say, "here, kill it,
it's too much trouble!"???!

Fostering a cat is like fostering a child - most children (or animals) need
to be fostered *BECAUSE* of problems they have that make them unadoptable at
the time. It's *YOUR* job to work *EXTRA* hard to fix those problems while
they are in your care.

Do all the cats in the world a favor please - buy a goldfish instead - then
you can pick a color that matches your decor and try to remember to throw it
a few fish flakes now and then if you're not too busy!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 24th 05, 05:52 PM

David via CatKB.com wrote:
I'm aware of that - this is a little more simple, it's just space

related.
The adoption agency only has so much room at the pet store, they

can't keep
pets in certain areas overnight. Weekends are the big adoption time

(they
get really busy, which is nice)..So they really just need people to

keep
the cats during the week when it's slow.

The cats have all been pre-screened, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for
adoption...So there's not as great a chance of behavioral/health

issues..It
also lets people "try out" a cat and if it doesn't work out they can

return
it. If it does work, then they can drop off a donation check.

Not a bad system, I think.

Geez. You act like behavioral issues are like a terminal illness,
something that can't be fixed. They can. I don't think you should
foster. No one should foster a cat unless they're prepared to keep it
for as long as it takes, no matter what. You can't just bounce cats
around like that. It isn't right.
Sherry

Old March 24th 05, 06:34 PM
David via CatKB.com

I'm not adopting cats and then euthanizing them when they don't work out. I
had my last cat for 14 years. She developed a liver tumor. I made the
mistake of posting my thoughts to this message board.

It was helpful at first, then started to get wierd when Phil started
screaming at me "cut it out! cut it out" and calling my vet a moron - which
he is not. It was time to get her euthanized because at her age and weight
a second vet's opinion was that she would not survive surgery.

The ADOPTION AGENCY was the one who suggested fostering a cat for a while.
They told me they encourage it because it helps them out space-wise, and if
the people decide to keep the cat -great. Are they self-centered *******s
too?

I visited my sick cat at the vets at lunch today. He is still not eating
well and they are taking good care of him and monitoring him. If he needs
intravenous they will administer it.

I've spent about $1500 in the past month and a half for cat care, including
over $400 on a cat who had only been in a home for a week. If the cat
stopped eating, what am I supposed to do, I tried every kind of food. It is
the adoption agency who has the policy and strongly advises that the cat be
returned if it is not working out.

I'm not posting to or reading this board anymore, and I will continue
working with qualified vets and agencies and trusting their advice - not a
bunch of faceless phantoms who only know how to say nasty, untrue things.

Old March 24th 05, 08:15 PM
sarah

You don't pick a cat.

A cat picks YOU!

sarah

Old March 24th 05, 09:00 PM
Phil P.

"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I'm not adopting cats and then euthanizing them when they don't work out.

No, you just dispose of the cat if she doesn't instantly meet up to your
expectations and/or standards or if she has special needs that might require
you to -spend money that you might need for *yourself* -- Your words, not
mine.

It was helpful at first, then started to get wierd when Phil started
screaming at me "cut it out! cut it out" and calling my vet a moron -

which
he is not.

If he's not, then you lied or exaggerated about the seriousness of her
condition. *You* said the vet *thought* her liver tumor was cancerous and
even botched the biopsy. Most liver tumors in cats are *benign* and the
tumors that are malignant almost *always* metastasize by the time they're
diagnosed - yet there was no mention or evidence of metastisis. *Also* - the
size of the tumor (1.5 cm) was not nearly large enough to seriously affect
liver function and certainly not large enough to require euthanasia.

It was time to get her euthanized because at her age and weight
a second vet's opinion was that she would not survive surgery.

I don't think so. I think you stated the *real* reason perfectly: "I might
need all that money for ME if a problem came up".

The ADOPTION AGENCY was the one who suggested fostering a cat for a while.
They told me they encourage it because it helps them out space-wise, and

if
the people decide to keep the cat -great. Are they self-centered *******s
too?

No - they're just desperate for fosters and space --- like every other
shelter. The 'any port in a storm' principal.

I visited my sick cat at the vets at lunch today. He is still not eating
well and they are taking good care of him and monitoring him. If he needs
intravenous they will administer it.

Why do you call him 'my sick cat'? You made it clear he wasn't comming back
to your home....

I've spent about $1500 in the past month and a half for cat care,

including
over $400 on a cat who had only been in a home for a week.

It sickens me when a person proclaims how much money he's spent on a cat as
if they expect to be praised or rewarded just for doing the right thing.

If the cat
stopped eating, what am I supposed to do,

Certainly not trade him in for a cat that eats when and what you want him
to. That's what you've done. You're supposed to provide the necessary
veterinary care and supportive care and nurse him back to health.

I tried every kind of food. It is
the adoption agency who has the policy and strongly advises that the cat

be
returned if it is not working out.

Every shelter says that so adoptives don't dispose of the cats - possibly
cruelly.

I'm not posting to or reading this board anymore,

Oh no! Don't do that! Anything but that! That would really break my ****ing
heart....

You won't miss anything because you don't learn nor want to learn. You do
what you want to do and conjure up or manipulate the story to so we'll
validate your actions

and I will continue
working with qualified vets

You don't know enough about cats or vets to recoginize an incompetent vet
even if he neutered you by mistake!

and agencies and trusting their advice - not a
bunch of faceless phantoms who only know how to say nasty, untrue things.

Just forming opinions based on *your* posts.

Old March 24th 05, 09:55 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
David via CatKB.com wrote:
[...]

home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack. And she
is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.

And I was thinking: if he'd adopted my Demelza, he probably would've
returned her to the shelter as soon as he found out at her first vet visit
(on the way home from the shelter) that she has a heart murmur.

Cathy

Old March 24th 05, 09:58 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Mary" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote in message

"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,

Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on

my
lap, totally adorable.

Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former

owner
died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all

day
(his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).

I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it

was
most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency

said
"Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
eat....

..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because

of
liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a

set-up
there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But

he
is
DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he

lies
on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves

be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch

out!!!!!

No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to

cuddle..

It takes *time* to build a trusting relationship you self-centered

*******.

So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are

the
ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house

once
again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term

commitement
required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

..and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to

your
expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective

merchandise.

If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY

FROM
THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make sure
every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.

Is he a sociopath or just 1/4 inch deep? Man. I thought it might
just be me.

Nope. I can usually give people a bit of leeway - the benefit of the
doubt - I think, but this guy's post caused my early warning radar to go way
up.

Cathy

Old March 24th 05, 10:42 PM
Mary

"sarah" wrote in message
You don't pick a cat.

A cat picks YOU!

sarah

Amen!

Old March 24th 05, 10:46 PM
Mary

"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
I'm not adopting cats and then euthanizing them when they don't work out.

had my last cat for 14 years. She developed a liver tumor. I made the
mistake of posting my thoughts to this message board.

David. Of the hundreds of people who post here a year, you
are the ONLY one who displays this weird callousness about
cats. The ONLY one. That is what everyone is reacting to.
You're missing some parts of your heart--or something.
Please don't get any more cats.