[Totally OT] Roku woes

Old October 11th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default [Totally OT] Roku woes

Adrian wrote:

I think the only answer is "buy a router", they're not expensive and
with most of them you get the advantage of a hardware firewall, which is
very rare in a DSL modem.

Especially since I got the modem in 2003!

joyce

--
Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old October 11th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Ok, I have to ask, what is a Roku? And if it's something you need another
specific "something" in order to be able to use it, shouldn't you have been
been advised of this when you bought it?

A "Roku" (the company that makes them is called Roku, a Japanese company
no doubt) is a device that you hook up to your TV and also to the Internet,
which allows you to view streaming video on your TV.

As to your second question, *exactly*. That was my original complaint.

Joyce

Old October 11th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

wrote

(wireless)

Does this mean I'd need to use the password every time I watched an
Internet video on TV? I don't know how I'd do that, because there's no
keyboard attached to it.

There are way to work it but I have the impression (forgive me, no offense
intended) you would need help setting up one using just a MAC for security
authentication.

The other option is to run cables, which I must admit are more reliable
and
less prone to interference and 'hackers' but are ugly and make a good
triphazard. They are faster (IMHO) and are less prone to being hijacked
by
freeloaders (although not totally - depends where they get 'in').

I suppose one other option is to move the computer into the livingroom
and put it next to the TV - then there wouldn't be cables going all over
the place. But I like having a separate room for the computer!

Naw, don't do that. Check and see if your computer like so many today, has
2 slots for the network cable. One would be used by the DSL. If there is
another one, string a cable to that and out to the Roku. Plug in and unplug
when wanted.

Old October 11th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

would this work if you had netflicks? and if you don't mind saying how much
was it and where did you purchase it? Lee

Old October 11th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Christina Websell" wrote
bastXXXette wrote

Anyone out there have a Roku? I apologize if this is US-centric, I
don't know if Roku is sold outside this country.

* TV
* High-speed Internet connection - either wired or wireless
* Few minutes to set it up

The product specs tab show you need a router (grin)

Ok, I have to ask, what is a Roku? And if it's something you need another
specific "something" in order to be able to use it, shouldn't you have
been been advised of this when you bought it?

Not all of us are very computer literate. The roku home page has a tab on
how to setup and it has 3 steps the 3rd of which is 'enjoy'. In step 2 it
is explict on wireless network or router to home network. She just didn't
see the right tabs is all.

Old October 12th 10, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
Anyone out there have a Roku? I apologize if this is US-centric, I
don't know if Roku is sold outside this country.

I just bought one, and last night I set it up. It's the low-end
one for regular, non-HD TV. Before I made the purchase, I checked
the FAQ on their site to make sure I would be able to install and
use it. Here's what it says:

What do I need to enjoy Roku at home?

Chances are you probably already have everything you need, including a:

* TV
* High-speed Internet connection - either wired or wireless
* Few minutes to set it up

That's it!

I have a wired, high-speed internet connection, so I figured I was
good to go.

I was a little concerned when the instructions said to connect the
Roku to my "router", seeing as I do not have a router. I have one
computer, and it's connected to the Internet via a DSL modem. This
qualifies as a "high-speed internet connection" as far as I'm concerned.
You'll notice that the FAQ above mentions nothing about a router.

So I hooked it up to the DSL modem and hooked everything else up, the
Roku initial page came up on my TV, and I started its set-up routine.
It asked whether my connection is wired or wireless, I clicked "wired".

It then tried to connect to "my network". WTF? At no point was I ever
informed that I would need to have a network in my home for this to
work. And because I don't have a network or router, it FAILED.

Anyone have any suggestions, other than "buy a router"? I'm sure most
people who have a Roku do not have LANs in their houses!!

Ok, I have to ask, what is a Roku? And if it's something you need another
specific "something" in order to be able to use it, shouldn't you have been
been advised of this when you bought it?

Tweed

It's an IPTV device. http://www.roku.com/

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old October 12th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

cshenk wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote
bastXXXette wrote

Anyone out there have a Roku? I apologize if this is US-centric, I
don't know if Roku is sold outside this country.

* TV
* High-speed Internet connection - either wired or wireless
* Few minutes to set it up

The product specs tab show you need a router (grin)

Ok, I have to ask, what is a Roku? And if it's something you need
another specific "something" in order to be able to use it, shouldn't
you have been been advised of this when you bought it?

Not all of us are very computer literate. The roku home page has a tab
on how to setup and it has 3 steps the 3rd of which is 'enjoy'. In step
2 it is explict on wireless network or router to home network. She just
didn't see the right tabs is all.

I think many companies wrongly expect consumers to know more.

Old October 13th 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"Adrian" wrote
cshenk wrote:
[...]

I 100% agree. They also often hide it a bit and get sales for gear that
people then find they can't hook up. They seldom return it for a refund (or
are charged shippage to return) so they make out.

Old October 13th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the explanation. However it would seem to be the very minimum of
customer support from the salesperson to ensure that who buys it can
actually use it. Or am I expecting too much?
It seems very unethical to me not to do so.
Tweed

Old October 13th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
[...]

Just a tad annoyed,
Joyce

PS - Thanks!

I think the only answer is "buy a router", they're not expensive and with
most of them you get the advantage of a hardware firewall, which is very
rare in a DSL modem.

I actually *have* a router but I have not installed it. I got it free of
charge from my ISP when I moaned about the extra couple of quid a month they
upped my subscription "so you can get up to 8mB speed"
That never happened, the speed I mean, not the increased sub. The maximum I
get is 1.3.
So I complained after a while, and threatened them with
a) Either put this superspeed in place or I will change my provider as there
are cheaper ones out there
b) The Trading Standards Dept of my council might like to hear about
promising something for an increased cost that they then collect and cannot
provide.

Somewhat amazingly they phoned me, sent me a free router and reduced my
monthly subscription by a significant amount.
Tweed