2 hour d*g

Old October 21st 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default 2 hour d*g

As you know, there's been a dog-shaped hole in our hearts since Fluffy went
to Rainbow Bridge last month. To be honest, as much as I loved the
Fluffster, she was also a burden in the way cats aren't, because with a dog,
you can't just have a night or two away and just put down extra food and
water. She used the whole back yard as her litterbox, and thus left 'land
mines' for bare feet, she needed to be walked and groomed as she shed far
worse than any cat, and spent alot of her time just plain being in the way.
Of course, I miss all this too just as I miss her, but its also been the
reason Joel & I have been holding off getting another d-thing.

Yesterday, the vet rang to say Fluffy's ashes have finally come back from
the crematorium, and I was planning to go get them yesterday afternoon after
work. But I forgot, and instead of driving straight to the vet clinic, I
drove on 'automatic pilot' and drove home instead. I pulled into the
driveway, parked, stopped teh car, and opened the car door

And nearly died as a huge black pitbull/staffordshire type 'brute' leapt at
me

Thankfully it was to lick me to death rather than to maul me.

I got out of the car, being smothered with dog slobber, and opened up the
screen door to the house. In bolted the dog, wolfed down the cat kibble,
chugged down most of the cat water (the rest being sprayed across the
kitchen floor), then decided to lay belly-up in middle of the loungeroom,
tongue lolling and whip-like tail madly wagging. He was begging for tummy
rubs!

Wasn't Cary delighted we'd got him a new dog! Those two immediatley bonded
(despite me being *very* wary of strange dogs and small children, especially
dogs bred to fight) and they immediately set out to be best of friends.

The dog, who was still very much an intact male, had no colllar and was
otherwise unidentifiable. He didn't belong to any of my direct
sharing-a-fence neighbours, although one of the neighbours had seen the dog
hanging around the neighbourhood quite a bit.

Whilst Cary and the dog played ball, chasings and otherwise did dog-and-boy
activities, much to obvious great delight of both, I went door knocking.
No-one had any idea, but all had seen the dog in question (I had pictures on
my phone) just 'wandering' in the vicinity recently.

It looked like fate had delivered us our next furry friend., even if I
wouldn't naturally pick a staffy/pitty as the sort of dog breed I'd prefer.
A wandering dog was hihgly unlikley to have an owner, and it clearly wanted
and needed one. We had a dog-shaped hole in our family, and this dog had
just turned up. And Fluffy - at least her mortal remains - had been returned
and were going to come home. I thought it was a Sign. The dog made an exptra
special effort at sitting at Joel's feet, staring lovingly (and droolingly)
so as to convince the hardest one of us that the dog had found his family at
'long last'. It only took a few minutes of patheticness from the dog and the
squeals of delight from Cary for Joel to come around too. Oh sure, there
were the details of having to go to the vet to have the dog checked for a
microchip, but the fact that he wasn't desexed and had no collar was a Good
Sign. We were dog-owners again, and Pickle was just going to have to get
over himself (He did put on his best Halloween Kitty, but I suspect it was
just on Principle and not because he was actually going to teach the dog a
lesson. Suki didn't even *notice*)

But then the BusyBody of the neighbourhood knocked on the door (she's
lovely, but has nothing else much to do so busies herseolf with everyone
else's business) and told us that the folks who had just moved in over the
way had two dogs, and the one we had sorta looked a bit like one of theirs.
They were out when I had knocked on their door the first time, but I vowed
to knock again later.

About 2 hours later, once the dog had settled in and we'd fed it some
suspicious looking steak (the type that sits in the back of the fridge
because you'll cook it 'tomorrow' until 'tomorrow' finally comes and you
discover the steak is 3 weeks old and a bit green around the gills) and were
arguing on names, the new neighbour knocked on the door . "Hello? Anyone
there?"

The dog dropped to the floor, tail between his legs, and whimpered. I
answered the door and she said "You have a stray dog?" and I said "yes" and
showed her the pictures on my phone. "Oh yes, thats Austin. He's *always*
getting out. He's even gotten as far as the paddocks, stupid dog." (the
paddocks are a mile down the road).

Austin refused to move. Joel eventually had to pick Austin up and *carry*
him to his owner. "Thanks" said Austin's owner, and carried Austin back to
her place. Austin looked unhappy, but there was nothing I could do. I called
after her "He's always welcome to come over and play!". I don't think she
heard me, or if she did, didn't turn around or otherwise respond. I wasn't
joking, we'd be very happy to have Austin (although he'd be re-named to
something Cary liked, of course. Probably "SuperMegaUltraDog" or something
super-hero like (he does like his superheroes))

We had Austin for just over two hours, but even so, he left us with a very
sad Yowlet, and a dog-shaped hole in our hearts once more.

I think we'll have to go to the RSPCA this weekend and fill that hole for
another 12 years or for as long as Bast blesses us, and Pickle will just
have to break in the new d-thing just like Shmogg trained Fluffy. And thus
the natural order of the Universe will be restored...

Yowie
(will keep folks updated on the impending d*gness of the Chapman clan)

Old October 21st 10, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! What an emotion-packed day! I hope that hole is filled in a way that
makes all concerned very happy.

Joy

Old October 21st 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
[...]

Don't be in too big of a hurry -- he may decide to come back! He seemed
to make it obvious he wanted your home to be his. Best wishes. MLB
Old October 22nd 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
karla

"MLB" wrote in message
(snip)
Don't be in too big of a hurry -- he may decide to come back! He seemed
to make it obvious he wanted your home to be his. Best wishes. MLB

I agree. I was thinking "Cary's dog will be back".
Karla

Old October 22nd 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^^=[_4_]

sorry for the top post but (((((((((((Yowie and your family)))))))))) Love,
Kyla

"Yowie" As you know, there's been a dog-shaped hole in our hearts since

Old October 22nd 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:13:46 +1100, "Yowie"
wrote:

[...]

Hmm....that dog could come back....but now the 'owners' know where to
look

It sure sounds like he was happier with you, than 'his' home, which is
pretty sad to think about

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old October 22nd 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_8_]

(Gandalf)" wrot
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:13:46 +1100, "Yowie"

Gently edited
Yowie
(will keep folks updated on the impending d*gness of the Chapman clan)

Hmm....that dog could come back....but now the 'owners' know where to
look

It sure sounds like he was happier with you, than 'his' home, which is
pretty sad to think about

I know, that is so sad and Yowie, I hope you get another dog to fill your
broken hearts.
Poor Cary, bless his little heart.
Love,
Kyla

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old October 22nd 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

I absolutely loved this post. By half-way through it I was rooting for you
to be able to keep him, by the end I felt sad that you couldn't.

Tweed
(P.S.) I am likely to be top-posting tonight, I've been clearing out my
desk at work in preparation for leaving at the end of next week.
Wow, so many memories were in there. I'd kept several cards of appreciation
from previous managers which I'd forgotten I had and other things that
touched me at the time.
Somehow, it just tired me out, examining everything and reading through it,
most is thrown now as it was about our computer system etc.

Old October 22nd 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"karla" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message
(snip)
Don't be in too big of a hurry -- he may decide to come back! He seemed
to make it obvious he wanted your home to be his. Best wishes. MLB

I agree. I was thinking "Cary's dog will be back".
Karla

I'm not sure how you would stand in the law in cases like this. (when I say
*you* I mean a person in general, not yourself, Karla)
I doubt that knowing Austin's home is not great would let you keep him if
they claimed him back, I know so in the UK. There is not a chance, although
you might ask them if they will sell him to you.
Cats vote with their feet, like KFC did. It was many years before I found
out that she had actually lived only three doors away and abandoned the
family that did not suit her requirements.
Tweed

Old October 22nd 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 23/10/2010 4:18 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
I absolutely loved this post. By half-way through it I was rooting for you
to be able to keep him, by the end I felt sad that you couldn't.

The delight on Cary's face when he was romping with a young and healthy
dog was all we needed to know. Fluffy was the sweetest, most gentle dog,
and I miss her terribly, but she was very old by the time Cary could
properly interact with her (ie, the last year or so) and preferred to
nap and bark at birds than to run, play chasies or otherwise just frolic
and gambol with sheer joi de vivre as young creatures do. You don't
really notice these things when they happen slowly, but compared to
Austin, she had been quite geriatric for several years and certainly
couldn't keep up with Cary (we struggle a bit there too!) as Austin could.

We felt very sad to see Austin go, and am sort-of hoping he keeps
revisiting. But we haven't seen him since :-( I'm rather suspicious
about how he is treated at home, and hope that his dropping to the floor
and whimpering was because he was sorry that he had escaped rather than
that he was scared of his owner. I'm also hoping that his un-neutered
state was something that the owner was about to rectify and the other
dog that they have was there as a companion for Austin rather than a
bitch for him to breed with - none of the properties in this estate are
big enough for a proper breeding facility, although that of course
doesn't stop a puppy mill. If I'm correct in my suspicions, no matter
how many times Austin makes his way to his 'proper home' (ie, us),
unless we are prepared to offer a pretty sum for him to make up for all
the puppies she could otherwise sell from his stud services, he will
always be retrieved and taken back. The only thing I could do, in that
case, is instead of just calling her to come get her dog, I could call
the dog catcher, and she'd be fined for having a dog loose, for having
an uneutered dog, and for having an unregistered dog (unless she has a
breeding licence, all dogs that are registered have to be neutered. If
he's not neutered, he's not registered), But that would no doubt cause
our relationship with the neighbours to become even more strained, and
thats not necessarily a good thing either (we're already been sent to
Coventry by one group of neighbours in this street and I still have no
idea what we did to offend them so, and the owners of Austin live next
to their shared driveway)

Tweed
(P.S.) I am likely to be top-posting tonight, I've been clearing out my
desk at work in preparation for leaving at the end of next week.
Wow, so many memories were in there. I'd kept several cards of appreciation
from previous managers which I'd forgotten I had and other things that
touched me at the time.
Somehow, it just tired me out, examining everything and reading through it,
most is thrown now as it was about our computer system etc.

It must be strange going through all the evidence of your long working
life - almost like 'office archeology', especially if you've sat in the
same place for many years and have accrued many files. I can imagine its
a rather bittersweet experience.

Yowie

Earth Hour Bobcat Cat anecdotes 19 April 10th 08 09:33 PM
Unhooking in an hour or so Susan M Cat anecdotes 8 January 22nd 07 10:52 PM
Half an hour... Adrian Cat anecdotes 10 March 9th 06 07:18 PM
25 hour update Susan M Cat anecdotes 15 June 28th 05 02:25 PM
My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM