Normal to see blood in urine after treatment for urinary blockage?

Old November 25th 04, 06:00 AM
worried about...

Default Normal to see blood in urine after treatment for urinary blockage?

hi everyone,
my cat just came home after being treated for a urinary blockage. =(
he had a urinary catheter in for two days and is now on an antibiotic
and another medicine to help him urinate more easily. he is urinating
very often (at least once every half hour) which the vet said to
expect... however, there is blood present in the urine too... the vet
said there might be a little blood. my question is how little is
"little"? the blood coming out is bright red. although it seems like
a good thing that he is no longer blocked up, i am worried that there
may be too much blood coming out. and with it being a holiday
tomorrow, i won't be able to call my vet until friday...

anyone out there have any similar experiences with their cats? please
let me know!

thanks!
Old November 25th 04, 06:45 PM
worried about...

Well, the tissue is very thin and the catheter, I'm sure, irritated it. Did
they send home any meds with you? When this happened with my boy, the
problem he encountered was still straining because the tissue was swollen. I
don't recall it having blood in it, but I was just happy to see him pee. I
had to take Grant back to get some amatryptaline to help the swelling go
down and it also relaxed him. I suppose it is too late to call tonight?

Yes, he's on Clavamox (antibiotic) and Dibenzyline (to relax his
urethra? and let him urinate easier). Unfortunately it was too late
last night to call the vet and today they are closed. He doesn't seem
to be in pain though... So I guess I'll just keep monitoring him today
and see how he does. Thanks for your response.
Old November 26th 04, 07:20 AM
Phil P.

"worried about..." wrote in message
om...
hi everyone,
my cat just came home after being treated for a urinary blockage. =(
he had a urinary catheter in for two days and is now on an antibiotic
and another medicine to help him urinate more easily. he is urinating
very often (at least once every half hour) which the vet said to
expect... however, there is blood present in the urine too... the vet
said there might be a little blood. my question is how little is
"little"? the blood coming out is bright red. although it seems like
a good thing that he is no longer blocked up, i am worried that there
may be too much blood coming out. and with it being a holiday
tomorrow, i won't be able to call my vet until friday...

anyone out there have any similar experiences with their cats? please
let me know!

Post-obstructive diuresis is normal and only temporary until the cat's renal
concentratÂ*ing mechanisms return to normal - but continuous blood in the
urine (hematuria) is *not*. Sometimes, when a cat is obstructed the bladder
becomes overdistended. An excessively stretched and inflamed bladder wall
can tear. I suggest you call your vet ASAP.

Otherwise, the fact that he's urinating frequently is a very good sign.

Phil