[OT} Puzzle thats driving us nuts

Old January 12th 05, 11:04 PM
Yowie

"pmendhall" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message
Another example, which is visual (so bear with me): which is the odd one
out?
A square, a trapazoid, a parallelogram or a triangle?

answer 1: triangle, all others have 4 sides
answer 2: square, all others have at least one sloping side
answer 3: trapezoid, all others have equal length sides

All are perfectly correct in their reasoning, but in a multiple choice

test,
you'd only get a correct answer for one of those responses, which one
happens ot be correct depends on the bias of the test designer :-).

According to my husband, #1 is the odd one out because it is the only one
that is correct strictly as written. #2 and #3 would require specific
visual examples to go with the problem. By definition a square, trapezoid
and parallelogram all have 4 sides.

So help me understand how all 3 answers could be correct.

Its a visual thing. I'd have to draw the question, but I'm sure you could
envisage a square, a trapezoid, a parellogram with 4 equal sides with two
angles of (say) 60 and the other two angles of 120, and an equilateral
triangle.

Does that help? If not, I'll make a picture and send it to you.

Yowie

Old January 12th 05, 11:13 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-12, Yowie penned:

Its a visual thing. I'd have to draw the question, but I'm sure you could
envisage a square, a trapezoid, a parellogram with 4 equal sides with two
angles of (say) 60 and the other two angles of 120, and an equilateral
triangle.

Does that help? If not, I'll make a picture and send it to you.

Yay!!! ASCII art!!!

Ahem. Sorry. Had to be done.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 13th 05, 04:50 AM
pmendhall

Hubby asks how you can do a square with angles of 60 and 120, since by
definition a square has to have four right angles of 90 and four equal
sides. You could turn the square so it looks like it slopes, but since all
sides are right angles, it would still be a square.

Diane

Old January 13th 05, 04:51 AM
pmendhall

I included the name that appears, since I don't post that often. Glad that
puzzle was solved.

Diane
"Jean Hobbs" wrote in message
This thread has solved one puzzle for me, I got a late card yesterday,
from Phil and Diane{and thank you, it will sit on my wall a few days along
with Meowmie Debby's and any other late cards }also on the bottom I read
Pmendhall and coudn't quite make out if it was a mistake or I wasn't

reading
it right,sorry Dianne, that puzzle is now solved, thanks to all you test
takers ,
what a happy girl I am Jean.P.

pmendhall wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Not a person who does math well.

Diane

Old January 13th 05, 05:52 PM
Adrian

Yoj wrote:

LOL! What is IRC?

Joy

It stands for, Internet Relay Chat. Not used much these days, mostly
replaced by chat rooms.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 13th 05, 06:11 PM
CK

Adrian wrote:
Yoj wrote:

LOL! What is IRC?

Joy

It stands for, Internet Relay Chat. Not used much these days, mostly
replaced by chat rooms.

Not used much?? You haven't been on IRC for a while, huh? IRC is more
versatile than chat rooms, and besides, it was invented in Finland!

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old January 13th 05, 08:05 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-13, CK penned:
Adrian wrote:
Yoj wrote:

LOL! What is IRC?

Joy

It stands for, Internet Relay Chat. Not used much these days, mostly
replaced by chat rooms.

Not used much?? You haven't been on IRC for a while, huh? IRC is more
versatile than chat rooms, and besides, it was invented in Finland!

I stay logged onto certain IRC channels 24/7. I have never used chat rooms,
and multi-person discussions on IM tools are a pain. I'd rather use ytalk =P

Old January 14th 05, 05:29 AM
William Hamblen

pmendhall wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

Answer 3 wouldn't work because a parallelogram doesn't have to have
equal sides. A parallelogram with equal sides is a rhombus.