Fighting after neutering

Old March 8th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Fighting after neutering

Hi
I just got my local stray tom neutered a week or so ago as I'd kind of
semi-adopted him. The vet says he's probably about 7 or 8 years old or
possibly older from the state of his teeth. He's obviously had a hard
life but he's a sweet natured guy and my 2 spayed female cats seem to
like him.

I was wondering if he will stop fighting now he's been "done". I've
just been out to break up a fight between him and another tom (his
regular adversary) who lives round here. Mine almost always comes off
worst in these fights, probably because he's older, and I was hoping
the neutering would curb his instinct to defend his territory. I just
want him to enjoy his "retirement".

Am I right in assuming that once the neutering allows all the
testosterone to clear from his body, he won't be as much of a
challenge to the other tom, and it won't keep on wanting to fight
him?

Also, how long does it take for the tomcat smell to go?

Thanks for any advice.
Lisa

Old March 8th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I just got my local stray tom neutered a week or so ago as I'd kind of
semi-adopted him. The vet says he's probably about 7 or 8 years old or
possibly older from the state of his teeth. He's obviously had a hard
life but he's a sweet natured guy and my 2 spayed female cats seem to
like him.

I was wondering if he will stop fighting now he's been "done". I've
just been out to break up a fight between him and another tom (his
regular adversary) who lives round here. Mine almost always comes off
worst in these fights, probably because he's older, and I was hoping
the neutering would curb his instinct to defend his territory. I just
want him to enjoy his "retirement".

His hormones need to catch up with the surgery.

But this won't stop other cats from picking fights.

Why not keep him in where he is safe?