how many meals?

Old July 25th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default how many meals?

That's fine, and that's what I also used to do. I also used to travel with
my cat when I only had one. The point is, *someone* should check on our
cats when we are gone. The person I use now is a pet sitter--it is her job,
her source of income, not a title I conferred on her. When I was a student,
I used to trade off with a neighbor, and each of us would look in on the
other's cats. I was responding to someone who seemed to think it is alright
to leave them unattended as long as dry food is out. That would mean that
there is no one to take action if an emergency should arise.

MaryL

"Granby" wrote in message
Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
town. You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
titles. Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
Queen. They are people who know your animals.

This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is,
say a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue, or tell the
fireman there are critters in the house. In the two fires since I been
here, all the cats, and a dog were rescued.

You do what you have to do to take care of your furry friends.
"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, MaryL exclaimed (7/25/2009 12:12 AM):

"chatnoir" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message
If you go out of town often, you have little choice but to leave dry
food out!

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Wrong! I hire a petsitter to come into my house twice a day. She had
fantastic references, and she is just as fantastic as everyone said. I
have
used the same petsitter every year for the last six years (sometimes
more
than once a year). I would *never* leave my furbabies unattended. It
doesn't matter if food is out, or not--any manner of emergencies could
occur, and they would not be taken care of if there is no one available
observe and take action.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

A monied one!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You do tend to make a lot of incorrect assessments, don't you? Whatever
I have is based on a working history of 42 years.

MaryL

I think the point was, not all of us can afford a twice-a-day petsitter
for overnight trips, not that you haven't earned what you have. And some
of us are just too durned paranoid to have a stranger in our house when
we're not around (that's us).

Meep goes to a boarding place if we're gone more than a night or two, and
that gets expensive fast as well. We just simply take her with us, when
we can. She's not nicknamed "The TravelCat" for nothing

jmc

Old July 25th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Jul 25, 5:57*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 9:12 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 3:54 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
Three meals a day (multiple flavors of Fancy Feast) plus
dry treats ('elevensies') just before my bedtime. Also they
(seven cats) have round-the-clock dry food to munch on
whenever they like, plus several water bowls, refreshed
daily. I'm spoiling them? You bet, and we all love it.

The problem with dry food is that it isn't "spoiling" them. Cats
should
not
have carbs. There is a much higher incidence of diabetes and other
health
problems in cats that are fed dry food.

My cats prefer the canned food that they get for meals.
The dry food is for between-meal munchies when they
want something more, especially during the long 12-hour
stretch between supper and breakfast.

What I meant by spoiling them is having three meals
a day plus 'elevensies'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Could you consider some other treats instead of leaving dry food out?
cat
that munches all day could easily become a overweight. Twice a day is
considered optimum, so it isn't necessary for a cat to munch
in-between.

MaryL

[...]

Nope! *I know the costs and what I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - -

Well, you certainly made an incorrect and unjustified assessment when you
called me "a monied one."

I wonder how many people would find it acceptable to leave their children
unattended and say it is alright if they just leave some food out for them.
Clearly, none of use would do that, and my two cats are my furbabies. *On
the other hand, I fully understand problems that arise when money is not
available. *I went through many years of that, but it does not have to cost
anything to have someone check on your cats when you are gone. *I use a
professional pet sitter now. *That certainly does have cost involved, but if
you were to go back many years in my life to the era when I was a graduate
assistant, I was literally living on poverty income. *I *still* would never
have left my cat to fend for himself when I was gone. *I worked out
arrangements with a reliable neighbor, and we took turns checking on each
other (and feeding cats) if we had to be out of town. *When my cat became
ill, I worked out a monthly pay plan to pay for veterinarian fees. *I could
not afford a car at that time, so I took my cat in a carrier on the bus and
then walked several blocks to get him to the vet. *But I did not use my lack
of financial resources to use my own convenience as an excuse for his care.
In my entire life, I have *never* left my cats for more than a day without
having someone check on them.

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

Let me see! Just spend 2000 dollars to have nebby's back legs from
popping out of the sockets! One year ago, I spent over 600 when Nebby
and Izzy developed allergic reactions to something in the food! Have
to buy expensive restricted diet foods! Two years ago, I spent over
6,000 dollar trying to keep Zippy alive when he developed hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy Lady you have no idea!
Old July 25th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Jul 25, 4:17*am, "Granby" wrote:
Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
town. *You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
titles. *Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
Queen. *They are people who know your animals.

This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is, say
a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue, or tell the fireman
there are critters in the house. *In the two fires since I been here, all
the cats, and a dog were rescued.

I live in an area where if there is a fire, they come over to see what
they can loot!

wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message
[...]

jmc- Hide quoted text -

Old July 25th 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

On Jul 25, 4:17*am, "Granby" wrote:
Around here, if you said you had a petsitter, you would be laughed out of
town. *You can have family or a friend come in but you don't give them
titles. *Payment is usually a meal in your backyard or a trip to Dairy
Queen. *They are people who know your animals.

This is a small town and everyone knows who has animals so, if there is, say
a fire, everyone goes and does their best to rescue

We have a neighborhood watch in our neighborhood! When you leave,
they are watching and call up their buddies! They say, we are in! We
can use Fred's yard to croos into the neighbor's and take what we want
before he gets home! That is our neighborhood watch!

Old July 25th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
[...]

And all this came up because I said that a cat should not be left alone, and
you responded by calling me "the monied one" because I use a pet sitter???

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Sheesh!

MaryL

Old July 25th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
barb

Well, from the looks of all the posts, I'm not over-feeding the cats. The
point is they do so much grazing that the canned food seems to sit out too
long before it is finally eaten. If I were to pull the food away after 15
minutes, most of it would not be eaten. The dry food is just about a
tablespoon full with each meal but given as a choice. Once in a while they
will turn their noses up at a can of food (Nutro Max 5.5 oz) and just want
dry and I will then dump the food.

Thanks for all your responses.

Barb

Old July 25th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
[...]

Yep! Your view of course!
Old July 25th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

"chatnoir" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 2:18 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message

On Jul 24, 12:55 pm, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

"calvin" wrote in message
[...]

You are a jackass. Howdy, jackass.

Old July 26th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

wrote:
"chatnoir" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's a question of the amount of TIME left alone.

What is the maximum amount of time you'd leave your cat alone?

I have a good deal with a neighbor - I tend to hers and vice versa
and no money is exchanged. I give her a nice gift at Xmas and that's
it. And I don't expect her to be checking on the cat every hour - she
makes two trips a day and I go two or three to hers.

If I am to be away for a few hours, I certainly don't ask her to come
in. We have keys to each other's houses and use judgment if we notice
the other is overdue home.

Old July 26th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Kalmia" wrote in message
I think it's a question of the amount of TIME left alone.

What is the maximum amount of time you'd leave your cat alone?

I have a good deal with a neighbor - I tend to hers and vice versa
and no money is exchanged. I give her a nice gift at Xmas and that's
it. And I don't expect her to be checking on the cat every hour - she
makes two trips a day and I go two or three to hers.

If I am to be away for a few hours, I certainly don't ask her to come
in. We have keys to each other's houses and use judgment if we notice
the other is overdue home.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I would not be concerned about a few hours. In fact, mine are left while I
go to work, as is true for most people. However, I make arrangements
(neighbor or pet sitter) if I am going to be gone for more than a full
(24-hour) day.

MaryL

Meals on Wheels Sara Cat anecdotes 0 October 2nd 08 12:20 AM
In Flight Meals jofirey Cat anecdotes 5 March 20th 07 05:00 PM
Meals On Wheels help elderly feed pets Joy Cat anecdotes 0 November 25th 06 02:44 AM
Why does cat whoops after meals.. J.L. via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 9 February 1st 06 03:10 AM
When to change to 2 meals per day? Al Kondo Cat health & behaviour 4 January 26th 04 06:10 AM