[Totally OT] Real Life Puzzle

Old September 1st 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Default [Totally OT] Real Life Puzzle

"Yowie" wrote in
:

We don't actually make 'parts' - we are a testing laboratory that
tests coated 9and often painted) steel sheeting, the stuff that
eventually gets roll formed and put on the roof etc.

It sounds like fascinating work. And the problem is quite interesting.

For a similar problem, consider how you would set up a fence to contain the
maximum number of sheep with the minimum amount of fencing.

From http://www.netjeff.com/humor/item.cg...icianJokes.txt

(Although you can find this joke all over the web now. It's an oldie but a
goodie.)

An engineer, a physicist, and a mathematician are shown a pasture with
a herd of sheep, and told to put them inside the smallest possible
amount of fence. The engineer is first. He herds the sheep into a
circle and then puts the fence around them, declaring, "A circle will
use the least fence for a given area, so this is the best solution."
The physicist is next. She creates a circular fence of infinite radius
around the sheep, and then draws the fence tight around the herd,
declaring, "This will give the smallest circular fence around the
herd." The mathematician is last. After giving the problem a little
thought, he puts a small fence around himself and then declares, "I
define myself to be on the outside!"

And some more examples he

http://www.phy.ilstu.edu/~rfm/107F07/EPMjokes.html
Old September 1st 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"Yowie" wrote in
:

We get a large sheet, and have to cut it down into smaller sections. I
have my particular set of test sizes, other have different sizes and
configurations they need.

I asked my friends in IRC, and they found some promising hits with this
google search:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cut+ca...or+sheet+sizes

There's a $100 try-before-you-buy app he

http://www.optimalon.com/woodcutting/wood_usage.htm

There's some stuff here, but may not allow for gaps between samples:

http://www.google.com/search?q=geometry+tiling+problems
Old September 3rd 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
ScratchMonkey typed:
"Yowie" wrote in
:

We get a large sheet, and have to cut it down into smaller sections.
I have my particular set of test sizes, other have different sizes
and configurations they need.

I asked my friends in IRC, and they found some promising hits with
this google search:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cut+ca...or+sheet+sizes

There's a $100 try-before-you-buy app he

http://www.optimalon.com/woodcutting/wood_usage.htm

There's some stuff here, but may not allow for gaps between samples:

http://www.google.com/search?q=geometry+tiling+problems

Before I try any of those, here's the solution I have through years of trial
& error:

H & I go on the outermost sides

Then line up A, B, C, G, D, J & K along the width.

Place L over G, F over D, and E over J (and K).

The only sample where the long end is not parallel to the rolling direction
is Sample L

The maximum height of this first strip is 330mm, and the first cut is 940mm
long.

Turn the sample, and cut off consecutively a 125mm strip (H), 4 x 95mm
strips (A, B, C, G & L), a 120mm strip (F & D) , a 177mm strip (E, J & K)
and lastly a 125mm strip (I) leaving 13mm x 330mm area - discard.

Cut off top 30mm from Samples H & I and discard
Cut off top 60mm from Samples A, B & C and discard
Cut off top 5 mm from section LG and discard
Cut off top 60 mm from section LG. This is now Sample L. Remaining part is
Sample G
Cut off top 165mm from section FD. Top is Sample F, bottom is Sample D

Chop off top 13 mm of section E J K & discard
Chop off top 120mm. Retrieve, turn, and chop off top 52mm. This is now
sample E
Turn JK, chop off top 77mm - this is Sample J
Of the remaining part, turn and chop off top 2mm and discard . Remainder is
Sample K.

I hope I got the description right as its the best I can do in prose -
diagrams are easier but I don't kow how to do one in text.

I just double the pattern if I need to test both sides. The "the boss isn't
watching" solution I have found is a little different, but don't have time
to post it now.

Old September 3rd 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
ScratchMonkey typed:
"Yowie" wrote in
:

[...]

Part of being a good boss is knowing when to get lost for a while so
things can get done.

Jo

Old September 5th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Jofirey" wrote in message

*snip*

Part of being a good boss is knowing when to get lost for a while so
things can get done.

I hope I can remember this if I ever get to be a boss.

My current boss is a a very precise 'cross the t's, and dot the eyes' sorta
guy for himself, but knows better than to get in my way - if I can get the
same results he does in the same time and using the same amount of
materials, then he trusts me enough to know that however I get things done,
I get the same outcome, even if I may not have been 'working hard' for the
same length of time he would have.

Previous boss had a horrible habit of turning up at precisely the wrong
time, I swear he had a 'goofing off' detector fitted into the back of my
neck when I wasn't looking and caught me taking short cuts, not following
the 'standard procedure' or worse - drinking coffee and chatting outside of
the official times allocated for breaks (never mind the previous 6 hours
straight I had worked just before hand and either had to have a break of
collapse of exhaustion). And the very worst thing he did was 'just call me
when you start, I'll come down and give you a hand" and *expected* to be
called down and got all ****y and insulted when I didn't. He had no clue,
not being experienced at doing what I do, used to ask the dumbest questions,
object when I deviated at all from the written procedure even though
everyone actually doing the practical side of the job knew that how thigns
worked in practice was not the same as theory, and used to slow me down
horribly (not to mention really tick me off!). He then had the audacity to
complain about how slow I was compared to everyone else even though he had
spent the whole day with me, watching me like a hawk and making it utterly
impossible for me to slack off in the slightest. He never did catch on to
the idea that if I was tacitly 'allowed' to slack off when I wanted, I
actually got more work done at a better quality, because I was happier.

Besides, I figure if the bosses can have a weekly meeting with each other
than just happens to occur at a local club that just happens to have food
and beer and the meeting although ostensibly a 'lunchtime' meeting more
often than not seems to extend for the whole of friday afternoon, I am
entitled to 5 minutes of gossip at the water cooler on occasion.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old September 5th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Jofirey" wrote in message

*snip*

[...]

Oldest grandson is starting his third year in college studying
accounting and business management.

He was pretty astonished when I told him about the second office I
worked in. They had mostly women and a few men (exchange student
types) that did basic bookkeeping and computer entry tasks. Some of
them has been at their jobs for years. And each group of five or
six was 'managed' by a young man whose job was to manage them. The
young man usually had a two year business degree, was wearing his
first suit and tie, and had no idea of how to do the jobs he was
expected to manage.

There was a fairly large turnover it those ranks, so new ones were
coming in all the time. The first thing their new "managees" always
had to do was to train them how to go about their jobs. I'm sure
you all realize these guys were paid quite a bit more than those who
'worked for them'.

But it would have been unheard of to promote one of the perfectly
capable women who had been there for years.

This in 1966 and 1967.

Jo

Old September 6th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

Default Real Life Puzzle

On Sep 5, 6:04*am, "Yowie" wrote:
.. He never did catch on to
the idea that if I was tacitly 'allowed' to slack off when I wanted, I
actually got more work done at a better quality, because I was happier.

I have the same problem- I work in concentrated bursts of energy then
might sit back for 5 minutes or chat to a colleague before getting the
next wind up. I do all my work and take on extra when needed no
problem but I do need perhaps 5 minutes an hour to recharge and the
law of sod decrees that if I've just worked flat out for 55 minutes in
minute 56-59 when I'm having a drink of water or just clearing my head
from the last job and getting ready for the next, which basically
doesn't count as "work" since I am thinking and it does not show (and
probably is not encouraged in my job anyway) the boss will come in and
wonder what I am doing! I always have to point out what I just did
and what I am about to do to pacify her.

But that;s the way I work best, some other people plod through, some
are better at certain times than others (I always get more done in the
afternoon myself) but try to get a boss to understand that? I tried
and gave up years ago

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 6th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

I have the same problem- I work in concentrated bursts of energy then
might sit back for 5 minutes or chat to a colleague before getting the
next wind up.

Five minutes - wow. That's nothing!

I have a lot of trouble concentrating when I hit a roadblock at work,
and I often have to take some time to get away from it. It's more than
5 minutes, that's all I'll say Also, this happens often, so I find
myself working on-again, off-again throughout the day.

I do get my work done, though, and I meet my deadlines, so I don't feel
guilty about it. I've been in the workforce for decades and my style of
working has always been like this. When I'm on a roll, I work fast,
and that makes up for the slow start.

I've always been this way. As a kid, I used to find in-class assignments
really hard to get started on. I'd stare out the window and daydream,
occasionally trying to start the assignment, but not getting anywhere.
Meanwhile, everyone else would be scribbling away. Eventually, I'd hit
on an idea and finally get started, and then I'd be really into it, when
suddenly the teacher would tell us it was time to stop. I would have to
hand in an unfinished paper. The teacher would usually make me stay
after school to finish it, telling me that if I didn't spend so much
time staring out the window and "dreaming", I wouldn't have to stay
after to finish.

Joyce

--
audiophile, n:
Someone who listens to the equipment instead of the music.
Old September 7th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Mind work is fundamentally different from assembly work. [...]
I recognize in myself the arrival of "Flow", a Zen-like mental
state that requires some time to achieve but when it's there,
I can achieve phenomenal rates of concentration and, hence,
productivity.

You are using the same amounts of brain doing physical-coordination
tasks as conceptual ones. There isn't that big a difference.

I get zoned out in the way you describe when playing music, and used
to when I did photography in a big way, entirely absorbed in framing
the perfect shot. But the experience was the same when I worked in
the most repetitive job there was in a vast industrial slaughterhouse.
I was standing up on a gantry in front of a conveyor with four different
kinds of organs whizzing past at a rate of about two a second. My job
was a drop two types of organ down the catfood chute and let the others
carry on to be turned into something else. I was doing that single
task for two hours at a stretch with no pause. I got into such an
interesting state of mind it was the job I most looked forward to.

(One of my favourite books ever: Peter Currell Brown, "Smallcreep's
Day" - it's good on that sort of thing. So is the poetry of Gary
Snyder).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Get Fuzzy in Real Life? Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 1 January 1st 09 03:39 PM
Real Life Yowie Cat anecdotes 65 March 30th 08 10:16 PM
Real Life Intrudes and a Kitten Update tanada Cat anecdotes 13 May 26th 05 03:47 AM
Real Life Sucks, partly OT, Major Rant, Vent, and hissyfit...oh,and it's a long one Tanada Cat anecdotes 48 December 21st 04 06:06 PM
Real Life gets in the way Tanada Cat anecdotes 54 November 1st 04 06:41 PM