Vandal!!!

Old November 26th 05, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Vandal!!!

"No More Retail" wrote in message
. ..
Isn't that root that other variety of catnip that is the strong stuff that
makes cat act wild and crazy

I don't think so. In the following web article is mentions that the herb
has the same effect on cats (especially Burmese??) as catnip does, but it
doesn't say they are related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerian_root

Hugs,

CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Fri 25 Nov 2005 09:24:24a, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

I've never tried other herbs on her, like rosemary, thyme,
sage... she'd probably love them.

Jill

My four go nuts over Valerian root (which I take at night to
help me sleep).

Mine do too. I think it stinks!

Yeah, it has a *VERY* strong odor - as soon as I take the top off the
bottle
cats come running from 5 rooms away!

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Cheryl

Old November 26th 05, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My cats when they get this variety the bounce off the walls for hours till
they drop and fall asleep

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/mis...p_and_valerian

Catnip and Valerian.
Catnip is a plant that causes various reactions in cats. Very young cats and
kittens will not be affected by catnip. About 20% of cats are never affected
by catnip. It is not known why or how catnip has the effect it does on the
rest of the cat population. It is a non-addictive "recreational drug" for
cats with no known harm to the cat. There was an article in Science [exact
reference?] on the neurological effects of catnip on cats. It seems to
stimulate the same pleasure centers in the feline brain that orgasm does.
Most cats "mellow out" and become sleepy and happy, others start acting very
kittenish. A small percentage will become possessive of their catnip and may
snap or hiss at you.
You can find wild catnip plants in most weedy areas, and harvest the seed.
Or you can buy seed from companies like Burpees or Parks or Northrup King --
most garden centers have catnip seed this time of year -- check the "herb"
section. Or even seed racks in the grocery and discount stores.

Catnip is easy to grow. You will need to keep the plant itself out of the
reach of the cats as catnip-lovers will quickly destroy it. The best
strategy is to get some growing, and then pinch and prune it regularly and
give the harvested leaves to your cat. Keep it in its own pot, as it will
spread rapidly. Cats will tend to dig up transplanted catnip and eat it
roots and all, but are much gentler on plants started from seed. The leaves
have to be bruised to release the odor, and transplanting seems to be enough
bruising...

Nepeta cataria is the common catnip; other Nepeta species have varying
amounts of "active ingredient". A good one is Nepeta mussini, a
miniature-leaved catnip that makes a good rockgarden plant. Nepeta is a
genus of the Lamiaceae (=Labiatae), the mint family. There are about 250
species of catnip, plus a bunch of hybrids between species. Only about 10
are available in this country, though.

You can order seeds from Burpee (215-674-9633)
Nepeta cataria B61424 $1.25; N. mussinii B38828 $1.45

Valerian root is an herb with effects very similar to catnip and generally
makes cats a bit nuts. It is however not as readily available as catnip and
perhaps a bit more potent than catnip.

Catnip and Valerian both act as sedatives on humans.

Old November 26th 05, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

No More Retail wrote:

There was an article in Science [exact reference?] on the
neurological effects of catnip on cats. It seems to stimulate the
same pleasure centers in the feline brain that orgasm does.

Why can't there be a plant that works like this for humans?

Joyce
Old November 26th 05, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
No More Retail wrote:

There was an article in Science [exact reference?] on the
neurological effects of catnip on cats. It seems to stimulate the
same pleasure centers in the feline brain that orgasm does.

Why can't there be a plant that works like this for humans?

Joyce

We do, it's called cocoa - chocolate, which stimulates the same area of the
human brain that sex does!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 27th 05, 12:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

No More Retail wrote:

If there was could we actually get people to go to work

I don't think so! Nobody would ever go anywhere.

Joyce

"Adrian" wrote in message
No More Retail wrote:

There was an article in Science [exact reference?] on the
neurological effects of catnip on cats. It seems to stimulate the
same pleasure centers in the feline brain that orgasm does.

Why can't there be a plant that works like this for humans?

Joyce

If there was it would be illegal. ;o)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

To reply privately, take the X's out of my user ID.
Old November 27th 05, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 04:38:54 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:50:47 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
I heard a noise last night-- obviously ca-generated noise, so I
wasn't afraid to investigate. I was astonished to find the kitchen
garbage
pail turned over and who rummaging through it??? NOT Dante!

No, my good boy was rifling through the garbage, looking for
something
in particular. Amidst much rustling, he dragged it out. I couldn't
imagine what could have prompted this-- he hasn't gone into the
garbage since he was a hooli. What trashy treasure could he be so
single-mindedly seeking?

It was the empty bag from the pre-seasoned stuffing I had used last
night to make the stuffing for today.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Ooooh! Stinky likes stuffing crumbs! Persia is always after me for
crackers and toast and bread and the like. Goes so far as to try to
bat them out of my hand. Remember when I had to do the Heimlich on
her when she grabbed a bit of melba toast from me and started
choking? Yikes!

Stinky likes crackers, toast and bread, but I think the clincher here
was the smell of the seasoning. Garlic and herbs are almost like
catnip to him. He also loves butter.

When he was still a hoolikitten, my mother was toasting bagels, and
had just sliced and buttered one, and turned away. When she turned
back, Stinky was marching away with half the bagel sticking out of his
mouth.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

That's too funny! Persia likes herbs, too. But catnip doesn't affect her
much... except for the really fresh stuff I keep in the freezer. Then when
I refill her "kitty sock" she has to do the bunny kick then lick the crap
out of it thing.

I've never tried other herbs on her, like rosemary, thyme, sage... she'd
probably love them.

Jill

Herbs really get to Stinky. They don't make him perky like nip, but
they do seem to almost get him stoned. When I eat something herby, I
really can't get rid of him, but he usually doesn't do anything except
inhale and get a glazed look.

Once I was eating mushroom soup with a lot of dill in it, and he just
got closer and closer until he got his chin in the soup. Lucky it
wasn't too hot.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 27th 05, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:53:12 -0500, Kreisleriana
wrote:

Herbs really get to Stinky. They don't make him perky like nip, but
they do seem to almost get him stoned. When I eat something herby, I
really can't get rid of him, but he usually doesn't do anything except
inhale and get a glazed look.

Once I was eating mushroom soup with a lot of dill in it, and he just
got closer and closer until he got his chin in the soup. Lucky it
wasn't too hot.

A couple of weeks ago, I ate supper one night at a Laotian restaurant.
The cuisine is spicy, and similiar to Thai food. When I went to bed
that night, Cinders apparently liked the smell of my breath, as she
spent a couple of minutes with her face only inches away from mine,
visibly and audibly sniffing my breath.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from