Fleas!

Old September 8th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Fleas!

Hello cat lovers!

Pookie adopted me almost two years ago; somebody dropped a litter of
kittens in a box off in our small community, and she made it through
several fences and a closed-in porch to my place. She picked the
right place.

This is the first summer I have noticed that she is having a very
definite problem with fleas, amnd I am not even certain where she is
getting them. She is strictly a house cat, although a have a
screened-in porch that she goes on.

I have tried everything - a flea collar (doesn't do a thing) Frontline
(seems to be water) and last week, the groomer put a stronger lotion
on her - supposed to last a month. She is covered with fleas and very
unhappy. So am I.

I have taken her to the groomer several times for a bath, and that is
the only time she seems to be free of them - for a couple of days.
While she is at the groomers, I fumigate the house with bombs and
sprays. Doesn't seem to help one bit.

I know she is upset because she hides from me. I can see them on her
face and cannot even pick the little devils off! I live in a warm
climate, and I am hoping that the fleas will abate as the weather
becomes cooler. As I said, this is the first summer season I have
noticed the problem.

Any advice and help with be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I am upset
because I think she is in misery.

Old September 8th 12, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

outside you screen porch take some borax soap and spread on the outside of
the screen porch. you can use cedar chips also around the base

clean the screen porch make sure any fabrics and any place the fleas can hid
and multiply. Frontline advantage I have never had a problem yet. Dont
use flea collars they are worthless and can poison them.

You can also bring the fleas in on your clothes.

You have to bomb 10 days after you do the first bomb the eggs will hatch.
Do a good vacuuming and get rid of the bag dont reuse.

Old September 8th 12, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Thanks, there is a concrete path outside the screened-in porch, so I
don't know how the borax soap or cedar chips will work out. She's
here now and seems to be sleeping comfortably, although I think they
bother her periodically. Don't understand why the Frontline doesn't
work. I'll take her to the groomer again next week for a bath and
fumigate as you have advised. Thanks again, much appreciated.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:06:22 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

outside you screen porch take some borax soap and spread on the outside of
the screen porch. you can use cedar chips also around the base

clean the screen porch make sure any fabrics and any place the fleas can hid
and multiply. Frontline advantage I have never had a problem yet. Dont
use flea collars they are worthless and can poison them.

You can also bring the fleas in on your clothes.

You have to bomb 10 days after you do the first bomb the eggs will hatch.
Do a good vacuuming and get rid of the bag dont reuse.

.. .

Old September 8th 12, 08:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Odd Bob

Mack A. Damia wrote in
:

Thanks, there is a concrete path outside the screened-in porch, so I
don't know how the borax soap or cedar chips will work out. She's
here now and seems to be sleeping comfortably, although I think they
bother her periodically. Don't understand why the Frontline doesn't
work. I'll take her to the groomer again next week for a bath and
fumigate as you have advised. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Frontline didn't help my cat, either. I think fleas are developing a
resistance to it. After he'd chewed most of the fur off his back the vet
put him on Comfortis. He's doing much, much better, now.

-- Bob

Old September 8th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

outside you screen porch take some borax soap and spread on the outside of
the screen porch. you can use cedar chips also around the base

clean the screen porch make sure any fabrics and any place the fleas can hid
and multiply. Frontline advantage I have never had a problem yet. Dont
use flea collars they are worthless and can poison them.

You can also bring the fleas in on your clothes.

You have to bomb 10 days after you do the first bomb the eggs will hatch.
Do a good vacuuming and get rid of the bag dont reuse.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Good advice. In addition to what Matthew wrote: If you have a vacuum with
a permanent canister instead of bags, cut up a flea collar and vacuum those
into the canister after it has been emptied. That helps get rid of any flea
eggs you may have picked up in cleaning. Also, be sure to dispose of vacuum
bags or the contents of canisters *outside* the house.

If Frontline is not working, I suggest you try Advantage. It also would be
a good idea to see a vet for a prescription and flea bath since the groomer
has not been able to solve the problem. *Do not* use flea collars or
over-the-counter flea preparations. They are ineffective and can be
dangerous to your cat's health. There have been a number of deaths
associated with those preparations. You may need to dispose of some pillows
or cat beds if they are badly infested. My vet once described flea eggs as
"timed release eggs"--he said they can hatch as long as 2 years later, so
you may need to be vigilant for a very long time to get rid of all of them.

MaryL

Old September 9th 12, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Mack A. Damia wrote:
[...]

Well, you said it. A bath is good for two days. So, bathe her every two
days. A real PITA at first, but she will get used to it and after a bit, she
will actually look forward to it. Perhaps you won't need any soap, and just
getting her sopping wet for a little while may do the trick. (fleas have to
breathe air like most everything else) A little water softener will do the
same thing as soap.... It will get the water to flow all over her beneath
the fur. Here in Oregon, it rains a lot and our cats like to stand out in
the rain and come home sopping wet. I think they do this just to get rid of
the fleas. I was amazed when I first moved up here from California. Down
there, no self respecting cat would ever come home wet. No matter how bad
the storm, my cats would always stay dry as a bone. but these Oregon cats
are always getting wet....

Old September 9th 12, 06:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Bill Graham wrote:
Mack A. Damia wrote:
[...]

Another thing you can do is to provide her with a place to sleep that is
cloth-free. Fleas like to hide in rugs, and other cloth places. Cats like to
be up in the air, and don't really care about cloth. Especially in warm
weather, they like to sleep on a cool, hard surface. So let her sleep high
up off the floor on a hard surface, such as the top of a bookcase or china
cabinet, where the fleas will have a hard time getting.... If you need a
cloth, then give her a towel to lay on, but change it daily for a fresh
washed one. - Oh. And brush her good at least once a day....

Old September 10th 12, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Are you related to Amanda B. Reckondwith?
Old September 10th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 18:44:56 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Mack A. Damia wrote:

Are you related to Amanda B. Reckondwith?

Mr. Peanut's Hawaiian cousin.

Excuse me, I have a cold.

*cashew*

Old September 10th 12, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:22:48 -0700, Mack A. Damia
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all your advice and tips; I am still processing them. Don't
know about giving her a bath every couple of days; I've never tried to
give her one, but the groomer tells me she is quite docile - well,
maybe for him!

Also, trying to figure out something for the screened-in porch.
Actually, it's the white diamond lattice, and I'm wondering if I
should put wainscot half way up the wall. Since the wall borders on a
path, I don't know how I could put down borax soap or cedar chips
effectively.

Has anyone ever heard of a porker mating with a cat? Pookie is a
butterball and is always crying for food. I was under the impression
that cats will not overeat. This one has her nose in "my" food while
I'm eating.

Fleas? Richard Evans Cat health & behaviour 3 October 1st 07 06:01 PM
No fleas? David Mooney Cat health & behaviour 2 June 8th 07 08:55 PM
fleas, Help!! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 3 October 3rd 06 01:27 AM
fleas Jenni G. Cat health & behaviour 24 July 19th 04 07:43 PM
Fleas all over Tang Cheng Yuen Cat rescue 2 July 14th 04 04:19 PM