Toilet Training update

Old March 17th 04, 04:44 AM
Mishi

Too bad we can't leave the lid up (don't want the kids drinking out of
it!)....
--
Victor Martinez

I agree with that, Victor! But, I have another problem. A couple of my crew
LOVE to play in water, and an open toilet is just too much temptation for
them. On the few occasions that I have accidently left the lid up, I have
come back in and sat down on a VERY wet and cold toilet seat! That is
definitely NOT the way to wake up in the morning! Brrr!

Patti

Old March 17th 04, 05:15 AM
Marina

"Victor Martinez" wrote

Too bad we can't leave the lid up (don't want the kids drinking out of
it!)....

I've never seen my cats even try to drink from the toilet. The only time
Frank is interested in the toilet at all is when I flush it. Then he will
come running to see the water whirling, and you can see the little wheels in
his head going "where does it go? how does she do that? why does it go
around and around?" Nikki ignores the toilet completely. She does like lying
in the sink, though.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 17th 04, 05:30 AM
Mischief

snip story of human forcing cats to act completely against their
nature

This is really sad and abusive. You shouldn't be forcing your cats to do
something that is completely unnatural. Why do you think they keep
having "accidents?" There are no accidents. They are just trying to pee
the way *they* want to and were *intended* to, not the way you are
trying to force them to. The whole idea of making a cat use a human
toilet, which involves them trying to balance on a slippery toilet seat
and does not allow them to dig and bury, is really cruel and I hope you
get a little common sense and stop this nonsense.

Megan (disgusted)

Whoaaaaaaaa girl! That's your opinion, sweeheart. But you don't even
have the whole story.

First of all, I'm a little tired of having to clean up litter the
bathroom every day. My cats go overkill when it comes to burying
their stuff, so everytime they use the box there's about a cupful of
litter on the floor, even with a litter box with a lid around the
edges. Litter that I end up stepping on every time i go into the
bathroom. Do you know what's it like to get out of the shower and
step on cat litter? No matter how much I clean it up, it's always
there. And that happens every time, no matter where the litter box
is.

You probably would say to put the box in the garage. What you don't
know is, I don't make enough money to be able to live in a place that
has a garage. I have a tiny outdoor patio, but I live on the first
floor and these are indoor cats. I don't want a stinky litter box out
when I have guests over, and I don't want litter all over my carpet.
So what does that leave? The bathroom.

Second, I'm a full time student and I also work. Expenses are tight
and 30 bucks a month on cat litter is a bit much. I can't use those
pearl/crystal types cause it doens't really lock in the odors. Since
I'm in the bathroom, I need flushable litter.

Thirdly, you say it's completely unnatural for a cat to do this. Oh,
is it natural for my cat to use my roommate's bed for a litterbox
while she's out of town? Is it natural for them to pee on carpet or
piles of clean clothes?

Finally, you say I'm a cruel person to do this. Wow, guess you have
joined all the people in this world that hate me. Guess I'm going to
stay up late and think long and hard about how I offended you.
Better refill my anti-depressants.

That's your opinion and I don't agree with it, but when it comes down
to it, I really don't give a care what you think.

If it works, cool. If not, I'll try to figure out other solutions.
I think it can work, and I'll just have to wait and see.

Kristi (unaffected)
Old March 17th 04, 06:03 AM
Marina

"Hopitus2" wrote
Well, I apologize to you folks with cats from a different
mothership......but as you know I'm not from Missouri, but find it almost
impossible to believe this testimony w/o seeing it with my very own eyes.
OTOH I will probably go to my grave before this happens.....

Here's a pic of Linus, not on the toilet but on the litterbox, but if you
look carefully, you will see that he has all his paws on the edge of the box
(how it stays upright, I have no idea), just as if he is sitting on the
toilet. Warning! Deadly glare at camera! I shudder to imagine his face if
I'd tried to take a picture of him on the toilet.

http://tinyurl.com/ytepl

You probably will still not believe. )

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old March 17th 04, 06:24 AM
Hopitus2

To each her own. I'd spend the time you spend trying to train the cats to
use your toilet sweeping up the litter from floor and redepositing it into
box. I do this several times a day in
the bathroom where most popular litterbox is. Not a big deal. Afraid I'd
regard training cats to use toilets as a big deal, though. Others post
they've done it so maybe it's a matter of priorities.
After Rowdy uses the box, it looks like a litter bomb went off in there. I
just sweep. And FYI
if you haven't stepped on that crystal silicon stuff, you haven't
experienced the razor-blade-type thrill on your foot bottom. I fail to see
how toilet use will guarantee your cats won't use roomie's bed or loose
linen elsewhere to relieve themselves on (???).
I don't have a garage either and we live in a house. I had no idea there was
such a thing as "flushable litter" but since I pay for my own plumbers it
sounds ominous on a long-term basis to me......I'm not calling you cruel and
what you're attempting fails to offend me. I just plain think you're wasting
your time; but as I said, to each her own. I personally believe "herding
cats" like in that SuperBowl commercial, would be far less frustrating
overall.

om...
:

Old March 17th 04, 07:29 AM
Sherry

To each her own. I'd spend the time you spend trying to train the cats to
use your toilet sweeping up the litter from floor and redepositing it into
box. I do this several times a day in
the bathroom where most popular litterbox is.

Have you tried one of those huge, massive, extra-large jumbo litterboxes? It
*helps* with the litter-on-floor problem. I hate stepping on that stuff. I
bought an electric broom *just* for that problem, and it sucks. Woops, no pun
intended. Anyway, it spits more litter back out than it picks up. So I got an
old fashioned wisk broom & pan at the Dollar Store. Sigh.
Sherry
Old March 17th 04, 07:52 AM
Hopitus2

You call Linus "fluffy"? He's a porker like BT Rowdy, he is, but Rowdy's got
a blind left eye and is a "mackeral" tabby, not a true brown-striper tabby.
Does he weigh about 19#? They could be bro's.

"Marina" wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: Marina, Frank and Nikki
: Email marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: Pics at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki
:

Old March 17th 04, 08:00 AM
Hopitus2

Our litterboxes are very large, oval, rounded (no corners) and "giant"
liners fit well, with much side overlap. Broom & pan are cheap,
short-handled, and stay right there nearby. I gave up on that crystal
silicone litter simply because since it hurt *my* feet (you talk "sharp" and
"pointy"! - that stuff is like shaved diamonds) little cat pads walking on
it would also be hurting. Besides, I agree with her statement that odor
control is poor with the silicone, at least it was here.

Old March 17th 04, 08:40 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Hopitus2" had some very interesting things to
say about Toilet Training update:

Our litterboxes are very large, oval, rounded (no corners) and "giant"
liners fit well, with much side overlap. Broom & pan are cheap,
short-handled, and stay right there nearby. I gave up on that crystal
silicone litter simply because since it hurt *my* feet (you talk "sharp" and
"pointy"! - that stuff is like shaved diamonds) little cat pads walking on
it would also be hurting. Besides, I agree with her statement that odor
control is poor with the silicone, at least it was here.

Felix doesn't seem to mind it [and his little paws are fine], and as I
said elsewhere in this discussion, I've found odor control much
*better* with the crystal litter. Box liners, OTOH, are rather less
than useless with him, as intensely as he digs :-).

Felix's box resides in a hall closet, with plastic carpet protector
under it. One advantage to the gravel-shaped vs. round little balls,
it doesn't fly as far when he tunnels in it. :-)