Whitebait OT

Old November 20th 05, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Whitebait OT

Before telling this story I need to explain about whitebait.
They are a New Zealand delicacy, tiny little fish caught in shoals with nets
in certain seasons, usually near river mouths. I have seen Chinese
whitebait but don't like them as much as the New Zealand variety.

DH is addicted to these expensive fish and cooks them himslf by frying them
in batter as fritters.

Last night DH took a pottle of frozen whitebait out of the freezer and ran
some hot water in the sink. The plan was to put the pottle in a container
and set it in the hot water to gently defrost the whitebait, it takes about
an hour.

When I heard the screams I arrived in the kitchen and beheld a horrendous
sight. DH had gone off to shift the garden hose and forgotten the running
tap. Water was [pouring over the sink and down the cupboards like Niagara
Falls. In the almost boiling water were the whitebait being chased by DH
with a strainer. The cooked whitebait were swimming in the cutlery
drawers, all over the floor, some were stuck to the sides of the cuboards
and a lot went under the frig and stove. If I had done it I'd never have
heard the end of the matter.

The cats were fascinated and would have joined in the fun except we know how
much cats like water.

I kept wondering what a stranger would have thought coming upon the scene
cold turkey. Two people with strainers, flapping madly around a kitchen
full of water.

Did we eat the whitebait. Yes!!!

Bev

Old November 20th 05, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bev" wrote in message
Before telling this story I need to explain about whitebait.
They are a New Zealand delicacy, tiny little fish caught in shoals with
nets in certain seasons, usually near river mouths. I have seen Chinese
whitebait but don't like them as much as the New Zealand variety.

DH is addicted to these expensive fish and cooks them himslf by frying
them in batter as fritters.

I don't like fish, but frritters. Mmmmm.

Last night DH took a pottle of frozen whitebait out of the freezer and ran
some hot water in the sink. The plan was to put the pottle in a
container and set it in the hot water to gently defrost the whitebait, it
takes about an hour.

WTH is a pottle?

When I heard the screams I arrived in the kitchen and beheld a horrendous
sight. DH had gone off to shift the garden hose and forgotten the running
tap. Water was [pouring over the sink and down the cupboards like Niagara
Falls. In the almost boiling water were the whitebait being chased by
DH with a strainer. The cooked whitebait were swimming in the cutlery
drawers, all over the floor, some were stuck to the sides of the cuboards
and a lot went under the frig and stove. If I had done it I'd never have
heard the end of the matter.

I hope your kitchen did not suffer any serious water damage. Particle Board
does not do welll when wet.

The cats were fascinated and would have joined in the fun except we know
how much cats like water.

I was expecting this to be a cats eating DH's pottle story.

Old November 20th 05, 05:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

A pottle is like a punnet of something - it can be made of plastic or
cardboard and comes in varying sizes, usually fairly small. The kitchen
has dried out. We left the drawers out in the sun all day. It may be
that B & C found the odd whitebait but they seldom get a chance to scoff the
lot. Some of their catfood has whitebait added as an ingredient.

Bev
"Bill Stock" wrote in message
.. .

Old November 20th 05, 05:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Old November 20th 05, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen" wrote
A pottle is like a punnet of something

What's a punnet?

LOL - I haven't a clue! These folks must be from NZ

Old November 20th 05, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-19 23:37:42 -0600, "Bev" said:

A pottle is like a punnet of something - it can be made of plastic or
cardboard and comes in varying sizes, usually fairly small. The
kitchen has dried out. We left the drawers out in the sun all day.
It may be that B & C found the odd whitebait but they seldom get a
chance to scoff the lot. Some of their catfood has whitebait added as
an ingredient.

Bev

What's a punnet?

At risk of cutting in too close first go, I Googled "Definition: Punnet" and
was told by the Planetary Computer System as follows:

a small light basket used as a measure for fruits
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn - Definition in context

In the present thread's context, "smallish fish-worthy container" is likely
right IMHO. Maybe containing approximately 'arf a litre - a /pint/
container, I reckon. Maybe such as we take chop suey home in around here.

Just speculating, of course, at this point. Confirm/correct, svp?
--
With cordial respect,

Rev. Charlene WT Mann (ULC)
First Peoples' Church of the Forbidden Truth
(A Global Funny Hat Medicine Society affiliate
and ICKR Curmudgeonry Licensure agency)
Old November 20th 05, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Rev. Charlene WT Mann (ULC)" wrote in message

On 2005-11-19 23:37:42 -0600, "Bev" said:

[...]

Sounds similar to our bushel and a peck.

Jo

Old November 20th 05, 09:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Punnet

Ok. A punnet in uk is usually how they sell soft fruits like strawberries or
raspberries. It is usually made of thin plastic with air holes, and has a
lid (if bought in a supermarket). It can be for as little as 100 g here for
blueberries or redcurrents, but often about 250g or 400g for
strawberries.These days supermarkets often sell other fruits like this too,
so they can make more profit as they are dearer than loose fruits.

--
Sandra

Old November 20th 05, 10:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sandra" wrote in message
Ok. A punnet in uk is usually how they sell soft fruits like strawberries

or
raspberries. It is usually made of thin plastic with air holes, and has a
lid (if bought in a supermarket). It can be for as little as 100 g here

for
blueberries or redcurrents, but often about 250g or 400g for
strawberries.These days supermarkets often sell other fruits like this

too,
so they can make more profit as they are dearer than loose fruits.

--
Sandra

Okay, we just call those baskets, I think. Most of ours are green.

http://www.peakcandle.com/Merchant2/...strawberry.jpg

Is this what we're talking about here?

kili

Old November 20th 05, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev wrote in message

I kept wondering what a stranger would have thought coming upon the scene
cold turkey. Two people with strainers, flapping madly around a kitchen
full of water.

Did we eat the whitebait. Yes!!!

Bev

If you'd videod it, you could have made good money :-)

Jeanette