Whitebait OT

Old November 20th 05, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Whitebait OT

Bev wrote:
snip
Did we eat the whitebait. Yes!!!

Bev

Oh dear. Did the cats get any?
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old November 20th 05, 01:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Punnet

similar. ours in uk are clear colourless solid ones with just a couple of
air holes

--
Sandra

Old November 20th 05, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:15:46 +1300, "Bev" wrote:

When I heard the screams I arrived in the kitchen and beheld a horrendous
sight. DH had gone off to shift the garden hose and forgotten the running
tap. Water was [pouring over the sink and down the cupboards like Niagara
Falls. In the almost boiling water were the whitebait being chased by DH
with a strainer. The cooked whitebait were swimming in the cutlery
drawers, all over the floor, some were stuck to the sides of the cuboards
and a lot went under the frig and stove. If I had done it I'd never have
heard the end of the matter.

Hopefully, you found all of the whitebait. Otherwise, your kitchen
will start smelling, er, fishy fairly soon.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old November 20th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sandra" wrote in message
similar. ours in uk are clear colourless solid ones with just a couple of
air holes

--
Sandra

I think we call those "clamshells"

Jo

Old November 20th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yes, I think we found all the whitebait and what we didn't the cats did!
But I had to wash everything down thoroughly including all cutlery, cupboard
doors etc., even under the stove and frig - ugh, a job I hate - I had to
because it woulf have smelled terrible! Never thought to take a pile of
photos, lol.

A lot of our small fruit come in punnets. Strawberries, raspberries,
kiwifruit - however usually it is in small amounts, say a dozen
strawberries in a punnet. I suspect the term and use comes from the UK
where a lot of New Zealanders originated.. Actually I don't like punnets of
strawberries, although some have air holes they fix a band around the punnet
so that you can't open it. The fruit on the bottom can go bad and you
can't get at it to see. Some plastic containers don't have airholes and the
fruit gets damp and goes bad.

Bev

Old November 20th 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Whitebait must be something like smelt? These are tiny fish that you
batter and fry just cleaning them and cutting off their heads. Turn
out very crisp and crunchy!

This is one of those stories you have to look BACK on to laugh about
it!LOL Glad everything is drying out.

-PatM

Old November 20th 05, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Visitors to New Zealand have been known to head and tail whitebait. It
drives the locals into fits of laughter - why, because you'd be there all
day! The little darlings aren't much bigger than a thick needle and
around an inch long.

Bev
oups.com...

Old November 21st 05, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Bev wrote:
Visitors to New Zealand have been known to head and tail whitebait. It
drives the locals into fits of laughter - why, because you'd be there all
day! The little darlings aren't much bigger than a thick needle and
around an inch long.

The first time I went to DP's Uncle Bobby's house, I got taught the
REAL way to eat lobster. Where I grew up, lobster is an expensive
delicacy, available only at fancy restaurants and usually you only get
the tail, already out of the shell. Uncle bobby, being a lobster
fisherman, informed me that the real way to eat one is in your back
yard, so when you hack it apart with a hatchet and shells fly
everywhere, you don't have to clean up after yourself. Meanwhile his
wife is slurping out the legs, and his kids are running around with
claws and I'm here trying to eat my lobster the way I'd eat one in
Ontario, and Uncle Bobby is afraid I don't like it because I'm not
"Getting into it properly."

--Fil
who can eat lobster with the best of them now

Old November 28th 05, 12:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sounds like Massachusetts & Maine. We also have lobster rolls, small hot
dog shaped buns with lobster salad. Lobster is expensive, but not as
pricey as the rest of the US.
Suz