[OT] Turkey Tricks

Old November 25th 05, 06:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Turkey Tricks

If you're like me, you like leftover turkey, but you don't like how dry it
gets, and all the gravy is long gone. What to do?

I take the unfinished carcass and put it back in the roaster, add 2-3 cups
of water, put the lid on and heat it up on top of the stove. The water makes
steam, which brings moisture back to to meat. It takes only about ten
minutes of steaming for a medium turkey with about half the meat still on
the carcass.

The best part is that when the steaming is done, you can use the tasty
liquid in the bottom of the pan to make more gravy!

Old November 25th 05, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Turkey Tricks

Pat wrote:

The best part is that when the steaming is done, you can use the tasty
liquid in the bottom of the pan to make more gravy!

you know, you could always cook another turkey, just pop a fresh one in
the oven.

I heard that eating turkey slows the aging process down.

Old November 25th 05, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
If you're like me, you like leftover turkey, but you don't like how
dry it gets, and all the gravy is long gone. What to do?

I take the unfinished carcass and put it back in the roaster, add 2-3
cups of water, put the lid on and heat it up on top of the stove. The
water makes steam, which brings moisture back to to meat. It takes
only about ten minutes of steaming for a medium turkey with about
half the meat still on the carcass.

The best part is that when the steaming is done, you can use the tasty
liquid in the bottom of the pan to make more gravy!

Or just use the carcass with some root veggies to make turkey soup

Pssst... you can make gravy easily enough using canned broth. Melt butter
and stir in flour with some salt & pepper... stir in canned chicken broth.
Cook and stir until gravy is thickened, about 3 minutes.

Jill

Old November 25th 05, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote

Or just use the carcass with some root veggies to make turkey soup

I *always* make a huge pot of turkey soup *after* most of the meat has been
eaten off the bones.

Pssst... you can make gravy easily enough using canned broth. Melt butter
and stir in flour with some salt & pepper... stir in canned chicken broth.
Cook and stir until gravy is thickened, about 3 minutes.

But real turkey gravy is the best. And I know there's no MSG in it, like
there is in canned broth.

Old November 25th 05, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

Or just use the carcass with some root veggies to make turkey soup

I *always* make a huge pot of turkey soup *after* most of the meat
has been eaten off the bones.

So you're just making broth at that point. Why have turkey soup without the
meat of turkey in it?

Pssst... you can make gravy easily enough using canned broth. Melt
butter and stir in flour with some salt & pepper... stir in canned
chicken broth. Cook and stir until gravy is thickened, about 3
minutes.

But real turkey gravy is the best. And I know there's no MSG in it,
like there is in canned broth.

Only if you like turkey. I hate turkey. AFAIK, the only thing it's good
for is turkey noodle soup or in a cottage pie.

I'm also not one who is allergic to (or cares much about) MSG. Guess we are
just not destined to be neighbors

Jill

Old November 25th 05, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

Or just use the carcass with some root veggies to make turkey soup

I *always* make a huge pot of turkey soup *after* most of the meat
has been eaten off the bones.

So you're just making broth at that point. Why have turkey soup without
the
meat of turkey in it?

Pssst... you can make gravy easily enough using canned broth. Melt
butter and stir in flour with some salt & pepper... stir in canned
chicken broth. Cook and stir until gravy is thickened, about 3
minutes.

But real turkey gravy is the best. And I know there's no MSG in it,
like there is in canned broth.

Only if you like turkey. I hate turkey. AFAIK, the only thing it's good
for is turkey noodle soup or in a cottage pie.

The only thing a Turkey is good for, is the stuffing that comes out of it or
the Cranberries you smother it in to make it tasty.

Old November 25th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"jmcquown" wrote

Why have turkey soup without the meat of turkey in it?

Well, I don't exactly wait to make the soup until the bones are completely
bare!

But real turkey gravy is the best. And I know there's no MSG in it,
like there is in canned broth.

Only if you like turkey. I hate turkey. AFAIK, the only thing it's good
for is turkey noodle soup or in a cottage pie.

I'm also not one who is allergic to (or cares much about) MSG. Guess we
are
just not destined to be neighbors

MSG is quite deadly whether you "feel" its effect or not.

Monosodium glutamate is a drug and a neurotransmitter. Glutamate is a highly
regulated chemical of the nervous system, and a proper balance is necessary
for healthy brain and organ function.

In fact, every major human organ has glutamate receptors. Overstimulation of
these receptors, in the brain or elsewhere, can lead to numerous health
problems, many of which may mimic other disorders (such as fibromyalgia or
heart arrhythmia), but can go undiagnosed for decades, all the while
creating a life of misery and disability for the unfortunate sufferer.

MSG actually tricks your taste buds and brain into thinking the food you are
eating tastes good. Manufacturers can therefore use inferior ingredients to
make a mediocre product seem tastier. Higher profits and low-quality
products of little nutritional value prevail at the expense of your health.

MSG intolerance is not an allergic reaction, but a powerful drug reaction.
Even in those people who do not suffer acute, immediate reactions to the
substance, prolonged or acute exposure will destroy brain cells in anyone.

Many foods contain naturally high levels of free glutamate. The processed
form, monosodium glutamate, is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, and it is
the highly refined substance that is added in huge quantities to most
processed foods at manufacturing facilities. Restaurants also frequently add
MSG to their menu items. Many that advertise “No MSG added” may not add MSG
to the food once it is prepared, but MSG may actually be present in the
individual ingredients used to prepare their food.

There are many aliases for MSG allowed by the FDA, including "natural
flavor", "hydrolized vegetable protein", "spice", "yeast extract", even
gelatin and carageenan, vegetable gum, etc. In fact over 150 terms used on
prepared food labels can mean they contain up to 20% MSG without a
requirement of being labeled as containing MSG.

If you really believe you are not sensitive to MSG, I would suggest taking
the book "In Bad Taste" out of your local library and giving it close
attention. Red the reviews on Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/092...915958-1623317

And there are some used copies of an older edition available for cheap at:

http://product.half.ebay.com/In-Bad-...69100QQtgZinfo

I also recommend the following website:

http://www.msgmyth.com/

Pay special attention to the lower half of the index page.

Old November 25th 05, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

"jmcquown" wrote

[...]

I have no doubt that MSG is bad for people - so I'm not disagreeing with
you.

The only problem I have with these types of books / web sites is that there
are so many "symptoms" listed that *ANYONE* would have to check "yes" for
some of them. If you list every symptom of every ailment ever suffered by
man, you're going to hit on the correct ones for at least some of the people
surveyed.

It's like those commercials that say, "go to our web site and take this test
to see if you're [blank]" - I'd be willing to bet you that it's geared so
that people will believe they are [blank] and buy the product being sold (be
it drug or book).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 25th 05, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
If you're like me, you like leftover turkey, but you don't like how dry it
gets, and all the gravy is long gone. What to do?

I take the unfinished carcass and put it back in the roaster, add 2-3 cups
of water, put the lid on and heat it up on top of the stove. The water
makes steam, which brings moisture back to to meat. It takes only about
ten minutes of steaming for a medium turkey with about half the meat still
on the carcass.

The best part is that when the steaming is done, you can use the tasty
liquid in the bottom of the pan to make more gravy!

I always make enough gravy for leftovers. I just make sure I always make at
least twice as much as I think I need.

But this is why I like Turkey a la King. It adds a nice amount of sauce and
moisture to the last of the leftovers. And it freezes better than just
turkey meat.

Jo

Old November 25th 05, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .

MSG actually tricks your taste buds and brain into thinking the food you
are eating tastes good. Manufacturers can therefore use inferior
ingredients to make a mediocre product seem tastier. Higher profits and
low-quality products of little nutritional value prevail at the expense of
your health.

To put it very simple layman's terms. MSG makes your mouth water. Your
brain is trained to believe if food makes your mouth water, it must be good.

I'm willing to give Jill the benefit of the doubt here. She does a whole
lot of cooking. Most of it seems to be "from scratch". And many of the
canned or boxed broths out there are MSG and additive free.

Jo