Biting kitten as night when sleeping

Old July 18th 03, 04:28 PM
Fred

Default Biting kitten as night when sleeping

I have an 8-9 week old kitten. She has been the perfect animal except
for one bad habit. When I am sleeping, usually 3-4am in the morning,
she will curl up next to my head on the pillow or on my chest. She
will then stretch her paws and put them on my face and start taking
small bites or nips at my chin or anywhere I let her near my face.
She always wakes me up and I spend the next hour trying to get her to
stop.

She's not being aggressive and is usually purring. She is very
persistent. The only thing which helps, sometimes, is by placing my
finger in her mouth when she bites and saying no.

What is this behavior? Will she grow out of it? Has anyone else had
this problem and how did you handle it?

thanks
Old July 18th 03, 04:40 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Fred" wrote in message
om...
I have an 8-9 week old kitten. She has been the perfect animal except
for one bad habit. When I am sleeping, usually 3-4am in the morning,
she will curl up next to my head on the pillow or on my chest. She
will then stretch her paws and put them on my face and start taking
small bites or nips at my chin or anywhere I let her near my face.
She always wakes me up and I spend the next hour trying to get her to
stop.

She's not being aggressive and is usually purring. She is very
persistent. The only thing which helps, sometimes, is by placing my
finger in her mouth when she bites and saying no.

What is this behavior? Will she grow out of it? Has anyone else had
this problem and how did you handle it?

thanks

my cat is 11 months she still suck's licks and sometimes tries to nip up the
skin on our faces, necks, arm pits if she can get to them! We have learnt
to either put up, you kind of wake up realise its her then roll over and go
back to sleep! the kitten however! jumps and leaps all over us from about
3.30am till we get up then goes back to sleep .... bless him

Old July 18th 03, 04:41 PM
L. Kelly

"Fred" wrote in message
om...
| I have an 8-9 week old kitten. She has been the perfect animal except
| for one bad habit. When I am sleeping, usually 3-4am in the morning,
| she will curl up next to my head on the pillow or on my chest. She
| will then stretch her paws and put them on my face and start taking
| small bites or nips at my chin or anywhere I let her near my face.
| She always wakes me up and I spend the next hour trying to get her to
| stop.
|
| She's not being aggressive and is usually purring. She is very
| persistent. The only thing which helps, sometimes, is by placing my
| finger in her mouth when she bites and saying no.
|
| What is this behavior? Will she grow out of it? Has anyone else had
| this problem and how did you handle it?
|
| thanks

This is actually pretty normal behaviour for a kitten. It is their way of getting the
mother cat's attention and some loving. She has now adopted you as her "mother" and wants
the attention from you.

As to growing out of it, she may or may not. All cats are different. Even if she gives up
this behaviour, it may very well be replaced with another.

In the meantime, what you are doing to stop her is probably the best way. Persistance and
consistency on your part will help to curb any unwanted behaviours in kittens.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old July 18th 03, 04:41 PM
L. Kelly

om...

Old July 18th 03, 04:57 PM
kaeli

In article , adc315555
@yahoo.com enlightened us with...
I have an 8-9 week old kitten. She has been the perfect animal except
for one bad habit. When I am sleeping, usually 3-4am in the morning,
she will curl up next to my head on the pillow or on my chest. She
will then stretch her paws and put them on my face and start taking
small bites or nips at my chin or anywhere I let her near my face.
She always wakes me up and I spend the next hour trying to get her to
stop.

She is both grooming you and begging for attention.
To stop this behavior, stop rewarding it.

As soon as she wakes you up, put her out of the room and close the door.

Welcome to kittenhood. *G*

~kaeli~
There is no justification or rationalization
for mutilation. Ban declawing as inhumane.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace