Cat needs butt shaved I think

Old December 28th 04, 03:12 PM
dgk

Default Cat needs butt shaved I think

I just love a good attention grabbing subject. But it is a
semi-serious situation. I haven't had any problems with any of my cats
needing anything more than an occasional brushing. Even my longhair
Nipsy hardly sheds and barely needs to be brushed.

But sick little Jackie (IBD with chronic diarrhea) has developed
clumpy areas on just one side of her butt. A closer examination (I
must love her very much) reveals that the hair is matted and cannot be
combed out. So I tried cutting some of them away and accidently cut a
bit of her skin. I simply can't tell where the hair leaves off and the
skin begins.

I called the vet but the normal three vet practice is down to one vet
because of the holidays and this is hardly an emergency. They gave me
the name of a pet grooming place (some stuffy sounding place that must
mangle poodles) that will do it, undoubtedly for some insane fee.
She'll likely come back in curlers. They haven't even returned my call
from yesterday.

Do folks just get an electric clipper and shave that part off? She is
not going to sit still for this I can reasonably assume.
Old December 28th 04, 05:32 PM
Mary

"dgk" wrote

(I
must love her very much) reveals that the hair is matted and cannot be
combed out. So I tried cutting some of them away and accidently cut a
bit of her skin. I simply can't tell where the hair leaves off and the
skin begins.

Our full-figured tuxedo cat has a bit of trouble with matting back there
and we use the kind of electric clippers you buy in a kit for cutting
your family's hair. Since they are made to cut children's hair (among
others)
they are very safe. They look like an electric razor but with plastic teeth
like a wide spaced combe. First we cut out any difficult mats, then we
shave her, then we bathe her. It takes two as she does not like this.
I wrap her in a towell and my husband clips.

Old December 28th 04, 05:53 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-28, dgk penned:
[...]

I have no experience with this, but maybe if you can't grab a vet, you could
get a groomer to work on it? They surely have experience with this sort of
thing.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 28th 04, 05:59 PM
Sherry

[...]

You're right, she does need her butt shaved. I guess it just depends on how
well she'd tolerate it -- you could do it if you have the right clippers and
someone to help you hold her. Shave around her butt and also down the back of
her legs. Vets usually call it a "baboon cut" or "sanitary clip".
I never had much luck with groomers. I'm sure there are some out there that are
experienced and do well with cats, but Cherokee was pretty fractious and
usually had to be sedated, so we just stuck with vets.
Sherry
Old December 28th 04, 06:16 PM

My Maine Coon cat had this problem.....I bought one of those round-nose
little scissors (I found one at Osco Drug).....and now I have someone
hold the cat while I just cut a little off at a time.

Old December 28th 04, 06:57 PM
Mary

Do folks just get an electric clipper and shave that part off? She is
not going to sit still for this I can reasonably assume.

I personally think you should have the groomer do it. You can just ask them to
shave her butt area only, no bath or blowdry. In the future always keep her
butt fur trimmed short to make cleanup easier for her.

If she still has diarrhea, you need to treat that. You need to find a food that
won't give her diarrhea. With my cat I baked a chicken and mixed that 50/50
with enriched grain wild rice in cut up chunks. I gave him only that to eat and
katz'n'flodder (sp?). If I gave him anything else, he got diarrhea.
Old December 28th 04, 07:04 PM
dragon

If the mats are being held together by poop, you could try to hold
something warm and wet, like a washcloth, to her bottom and see if that
loosens things up enough to clip. In any event, I would cut away what
you can, and don't try to get too close to her skin. Good luck!
dragon

Old December 28th 04, 08:02 PM
dgk

On 28 Dec 2004 17:57:33 GMT, pam (Mary) wrote:

Do folks just get an electric clipper and shave that part off? She is
not going to sit still for this I can reasonably assume.

I personally think you should have the groomer do it. You can just ask them to
shave her butt area only, no bath or blowdry. In the future always keep her
butt fur trimmed short to make cleanup easier for her.

If she still has diarrhea, you need to treat that. You need to find a food that
won't give her diarrhea. With my cat I baked a chicken and mixed that 50/50
with enriched grain wild rice in cut up chunks. I gave him only that to eat and
katz'n'flodder (sp?). If I gave him anything else, he got diarrhea.

She's had diarrhea since I got here several months back. It appears to
be IBD. She's on 7.5 mg of prednisone per day, a gel in the ear. It
has gotten a bit better. I had another cat with it (it killed him
eventually) and went through all the advice. Much of it is
contradictory. For instance, many folks say not to use any grain, but
you use rice. Sheba has been suggested as being pretty much
grain-free. All seem to agree to stay away from dry food but she
barely eats that anyway. The other cats eat that. Wellness has been
suggested. I have her eating that, and the Merrick and PetGuard.

She has no teeth so everything has to be fairly mushy. The vet thinks
that she has pretty advanced IBD and that there really isn't much to
be done. Hopefully it is the kind that does not develop into Lymphoma.
Old December 28th 04, 08:23 PM
Mary

She's had diarrhea since I got here several months back. It appears to
be IBD. She's on 7.5 mg of prednisone per day, a gel in the ear. It
has gotten a bit better. I had another cat with it (it killed him
eventually) and went through all the advice. Much of it is
contradictory. For instance, many folks say not to use any grain, but
you use rice. Sheba has been suggested as being pretty much
grain-free. All seem to agree to stay away from dry food but she
barely eats that anyway. The other cats eat that. Wellness has been
suggested. I have her eating that, and the Merrick and PetGuard.

She has no teeth so everything has to be fairly mushy. The vet thinks
that she has pretty advanced IBD and that there really isn't much to
be done. Hopefully it is the kind that does not develop into Lymphoma.

My cat was also diagnosed with IBD. The vet told me to put him to sleep. He'd
get bloody mucousy chocolate pudding diarrhea 24/7. I think it was the
preservatives, additives, artificial colorings and flavorings in the commercial
foods that made him sick. I used organically grown wild rice, trying to limit
the artificial additives. When canned chicken and rice catfood came out, that
made him sick also and it was supposed to be the same thing. Of course every
cat is different. Maybe my cat just had food allergies and the vet
misdiagnosed.

I had an 18 year old cat with no teeth. He ate wet food, chunky style. He'd
basically just swallow, no chewing at all. I know because once he puked and it
looked like it just came out of the can. He only had his incisors, no other
teeth at all. He was fat. He'd also eat pieces of chicken, turkey and ham, no
problem. I wish you the best with your cat.

Old December 28th 04, 09:51 PM

dgk wrote:

I have her eating that, and the Merrick
and PetGuard.

Pet Guard foods have wheat and barley, both which could cause problems
with the IBD. I wouldn't feed Merrick as my experience with calling the
company and trying to get nutritional information was fruitless. In
Jackie's situation, it would be wise to limit what type of food she is
eating to see if her output improves. Try feeding *just* Wellness, which
has no grans and is used by many people on the IBD list. I would start
with only the plain chicken and turkey flavors for a few weeks and see
if things improve. If you don't figure out what Jackie can and cannot
tolerate and she continues as she has, she will be at greater risk of
developing lymphoma and could also potentially develop issues with her
bile ducts, etc.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Stinky butt Mischief Cat anecdotes 6 May 18th 04 05:37 PM
Freshly shaved cat wants to go outside Peter Cat health & behaviour 10 April 30th 04 02:39 PM
kitten has leaky butt Lori chil Cat health & behaviour 2 April 3rd 04 06:31 PM
I Just Pulled Something Out Of My Cat's Butt guynoir Cat health & behaviour 32 November 11th 03 04:50 AM
Jazz's butt aka the I know where I'm going walk.... lrulan Cat anecdotes 2 October 21st 03 05:01 AM