Looking Back... LONG

Old February 19th 05, 06:59 PM
jmcquown

Default Looking Back... LONG

I've only been owned by Persia (my only ever cat) for 4 years. But I've
been thinking lately about how she's brought me so much joy; so much fun
into my home.

She demanded to be let inside; literally. The first night she was here, I
went to sleep and she jumped up on the bed with me, purring loudly
(distressedly, I think, not sure what to think of me or her new forever
home). She went to sleep on the pillow above my head. I remember waking up
the next morning thinking, "Do I have a cat?" and I looked around but didn't
see her. Only then did I discover she was snoozing above my head! I had to
laugh.

The next night I woke up and was startled to see a pair of glowing eyes
staring at me from the living room. Amityville Horror? Nope, it's the
reflective eyes of your (?!) new cat. Kinda creepy.

A few days after I was acquired I discovered her name - Persia. I realized
I couldn't just call her "cat" and then the name Persia popped into my head
(now I know it was beamed to me from the Mothership!). It came out of my
mouth and she turned and came running when I said it. Persia it is.

Of course I took her to the vet; she was scanned for chips (none);
proclaimed healthy and got her shots.

The first time she started "kneading" my side in bed I was like uh, whatcha
doing? Not being totally stupid I realized she was mimicking nursing
behavior and was very flattered she thought of me as her Mom

Now on to her apartment exploration. Oh yes, she figured out how to open up
the door to the pantry. At first I was feeding her Meow Mix (what did I
know?) and I'd bought some cans of Fancy Feast ("gooshy food") as a treat on
Saturdays. She quickly discovered how to open the pantry door and paw a can
of FF off the shelf and scoot it to the middle of the kitchen floor when it
wasn't Saturday. She can be very demanding at times

I had to tie the bi-fold doors to the laundry area shut. She figured out
how to open those, too. Then she jumped down behind the washing machine and
couldn't get back up. I had to drag the washer away from the wall
(straining my back in the process) to get her out.

I switched her diet to Iams after doing label reading. Then my sleek blue
beauty started developing a bit of a pooch so I changed it to the low-fat
formula.

I caught her nipping wrapped Brach's butterscotch candies out of a candy
dish on a two-tier table. I started finding them all over the place; she'd
play 'hockey' with them. Okay, time to get some kitty toys! Mousies and
crinkly mylar balls. I eventually had to buy the BIG mylar balls because
the small ones were transported up to the Mothership. (See, I was
learning!)

And what a snuggle bug! I'd always heard cats are aloof or stand-offish.
Not this girl. She immediately took to meatloafing on me when I was reading
a book. Rubbing her face on the book and giving me this sweet slow
green-eyed blinky-look.

The first time she reached up to gently give my hand a love-bite I saw those
teeth and went OMG! But she just gently nipped then did the blinky eyes. I
quickly learned to do blinky eyes back at her. I've been well trained

Took her a little while to let me do belly-rubs but once she did I knew she
then trusted me completely. Upside downy head and cute poses soon followed.
Now she does upside downy head when she's loafing on top of me.

Of course she got her own furniture; a short cat-cradle with a barrel. Next
came the kitty fountain after she started sticking her face under the
running faucet when I was brushing my teeth. (See how well I've been
trained?)

And she got a kitty walk! Oh yes, Persia, you can go out on the patio in
this little mesh enclosure! She loves it! A year later she got the
'cabana' for the kitty walk so she has a nice shady spot and a little kitty
sling to sit in. Spoiled? Not in the least!

She sleeps next to me every night, snuggled against me; purring me to sleep.
When she falls sound asleep if I brush my hand over her soft, lovely
grey/blue fur, I can feel a soft gentle rumbly purr start back up. She
always has to have a paw touching me. If she's facing away from me and I
put my hand in front of her, she drapes a paw over my hand and rests her
soft little face on my hand. It's so sweet. Aloof? Stand-offish? Not
this girl!

When I was out of town last year and she was boarded at the vet, she had her
third bout of urinary tract infection. She'd been losing a little weight
and I figured it was the food but no... the vet phoned me long distance to
ask if he could do an x-ray. Of course! He found bladder stones. She
needed surgery. Awwww, my poor girl! But of course, do it. He called
back - she was fine but he had also found and excised a cyst which probably
contributed to the stones; should they do a biopsy? Whatever it takes.
Thankfully, benign. He kept me apprised of everything, he or a member of
his staff called me every day.

$900 later... I got back Persia with a shaved belly and a shaved paw from
the I.V. Luckily I had some help from my LLL on that bill and they let me
pay the remainder in installments. And of course Persia's fur grew back,
fluffy as ever.

She's now on special x/d food to avoid crystal oxolate stones in the
bladder. Thankfully she loves the food 'cause it's not cheap and I don't
have a job. She gets the x/d "gooshy" food on Saturdays as a treat. (I
swear she has a calendar hidden under that fur somewhere; she wakes me up
earlier on Saturdays and talks loudly to me: "Hey, wake up! I'm supposed to
have da gooshy food today!")

Now I'm starting to see white on the tips of her toes and little white hairs
on her belly. My grey/blue girl is getting older. SIGH. But she's happy,
and very much loved.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old February 19th 05, 07:35 PM
W. Leong

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Jill,

I enjoy reading your story about Persia.

Rusty is also good at opening doors. Once my cat sitter spent an hour
looking all over for him. He was hiding in the storage room. He also likes
to go behind the washing machine. Another time I saw the kitchen cabinet
door opened and closed. Sure enough it was Rusty that went and hid under the
kitchen sink.

Being a Canadian cat, Rusty naturally likes to play hockey with objects
on the floor. But as he gets older, he is not as interested in his toys
anymore. He spent a lot of time sleeping on his cat hammock on the window
sill. He has always enjoy belly rubs.

Rusty also had his shares of health problems and
urinary blockages. We went to the emergency vet hospital at least 3 times
over the years. One time he was hospitalized for a complete blockage and
spent the weekend there. The emergency vet suggested a 'sex change' surgery.
But his regular vet said that should only
be a last resort. So we didn't go for it. I spent a lot of $$$ over the
years on vet bills and various prescription food.
He is well known with all the staff at his vet's clinic. In the past, I
wondered whether he would make it to his 10th purrsday. But he is now 10
going on 11 and God willing, we will celebrate our 10 years together in a
few months.

I also don't have a job and often worry how long I can keep up with
the vet bills and expensive prescription food. With both of us getting
older, we will probably face more health problems.
But all we can do is to take one day at a time.

Winnie

Old February 19th 05, 11:23 PM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

Beautiful story, Jill. See, you were born to be a cat slave - you just
didn't know it!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 21st 05, 04:58 AM
Julie Cook

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Awwww, what a sweet story, Jill. Thank you. You and Persia are both
lucky to have each other.

Julie
Old February 21st 05, 05:01 AM
Julie Cook

W. Leong wrote:

[...]

Purrs to you and Rusty, Winnie that you are able to share many more
years together. Purrs to Bast that from one day to the next the means
to take care of each other will be presented.

julie, Hobbes, Selena, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus
Old February 21st 05, 08:26 AM
Krista

jmcquown wrote:
I've only been owned by Persia (my only ever cat) for 4 years. But

I've
been thinking lately about how she's brought me so much joy; so much

fun
into my home.

(snippety)

Awwww. It was just plain meant to be. What a sweet post!

------
Krista

Old February 21st 05, 11:08 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for both you and Jill to find great jobs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"W. Leong" wrote in message
.. .

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

snip

Old February 21st 05, 04:03 PM
Katz

Aren't they the best?

Old February 21st 05, 09:54 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-19, jmcquown penned:
I've only been owned by Persia (my only ever cat) for 4 years. But I've
been thinking lately about how she's brought me so much joy; so much fun
into my home.

Thank you for sharing your stories about Persia. I knew very little about
cats when I got Oscar, but she made the learning process fun.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully