*large* cat furniture

Old March 7th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad

Default *large* cat furniture

Pictures of a custom built-in wall unit designed for easy egress for the
kitties. The right side is stair-stepped.

Please excuse the clutter; this project is still under construction.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25641...00494391QGVEVh
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20903...00494391YQCYZK
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22316...00494391TXMJOa
Old March 7th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Mar 7, 12:30 am, AZ Nomad wrote:
Pictures of a custom built-in wall unit designed for easy egress for the
kitties. The right side is stair-stepped.

Please excuse the clutter; this project is still under construction.http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25641...00494391TXMJOa

Wow! That makes Rita's cool cat tree look like a toothpick.
Your cats are so lucky. Do you think they'll allow you to
keep anything else on it, though? heehee

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old March 7th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Chakolate

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

Pictures of a custom built-in wall unit designed for easy egress for
the kitties. The right side is stair-stepped.

Please excuse the clutter; this project is still under construction.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25641...00494391QGVEVh
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20903...00494391YQCYZK
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22316...00494391TXMJOa

Very cool, but the next picture in the album is priceless. :-)

Chak

--
No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of
policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets.

Old March 7th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Excellent!
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old March 8th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:30:55 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Pictures of a custom built-in wall unit designed for easy egress for the
kitties. The right side is stair-stepped.

Please excuse the clutter; this project is still under construction.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25641...00494391QGVEVh
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20903...00494391YQCYZK
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22316...00494391TXMJOa

Wow! What spoiled felines... I have to say, we just got a bookcase and
my consideration is to keep the cats (especially Tessica) OFF the top
of it, so I can display a few treasures up there without them getting
broken.
Old March 8th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

AZ Nomad wrote:

Pictures of a custom built-in wall unit designed for easy egress for the
kitties. The right side is stair-stepped.

Please excuse the clutter; this project is still under construction.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25641...00494391QGVEVh
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20903...00494391YQCYZK
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22316...00494391TXMJOa

Great pictures. Are you building this yourself, or having contractors in
to do it? What's it made of? Looks great!

Joyce
Old March 8th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad

On 08 Mar 2007 18:43:08 GMT, wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:

Pictures of a custom built-in wall unit designed for easy egress for the
kitties. The right side is stair-stepped.

Please excuse the clutter; this project is still under construction.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25641...00494391QGVEVh
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20903...00494391YQCYZK
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22316...00494391TXMJOa

Great pictures. Are you building this yourself, or having contractors in
to do it? What's it made of? Looks great!

I traded work w/ a coworker who has carpentry skills. My skills only go as
far as hanging a picture on the wall and that is a stretch for me.

The thing is built out of a 2x4 wood framing. Shelves and sides are covered
w/ 1/2" plywood and then the whole thing is wrapped in drywall. All the
corners and edges are reinforced w/ bullnose. The center section is wired
w/ electrical outlets; the right section has an extended outlet passing
through. The three pieces must weigh close to 600 lbs all together. Guy
who built it says he'll use metal studs next time.

The fact that it is made to look like existing walls means that we had to
smooth out all the drywall by covering the seams and screwholes w/ mud
(drywall compound) and then sanding it smooth. That is nasty business and
fills the room with dust which settles on everything. We limited the mess
by putting up a plastic curtain. Then the thing was textured which is
basically performed by flinging mud on it with an airtool. Last bit of work
is to install moulding around it's base, cut the carpet and reinstall
over carpet tack strips and put on another coat of paint. Then wire the
home theater system; run wire to the rear speakers; put carpeting around
some boards for the feline tenants...
Old March 8th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

AZ Nomad wrote:

The three pieces must weigh close to 600 lbs all together. Guy
who built it says he'll use metal studs next time.

LOL - hope you don't live in earthquake country.

Last bit of work
is to install moulding around it's base, cut the carpet and reinstall
over carpet tack strips and put on another coat of paint. Then wire the
home theater system; run wire to the rear speakers; put carpeting around
some boards for the feline tenants...

You are so nice to your tenants. In fact, it seems like you are *their*
tenant. I think it looks great - you have to post some pictures when
it's done and all the AV stuff is set up. Preferably with a cat or two
ensconced on one of the surfaces.

Joyce
Old March 8th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

AZ Nomad wrote:
On 08 Mar 2007 18:43:08 GMT,
wrote:

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

Wow, very cool. So where are you putting the carpet? Up along the
"stairs" on the outside? Can't wait to see the finished product, with
Mongo modelling of course :-)