Can Kidney failure come on fast?

Old October 23rd 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Can Kidney failure come on fast?

I know this is too late to ask as Kira died on Thursday.

But I am still stunned and trying to figure out how we missed it.

She was diagnosed with Immune mediated anemia, and treated successfully
for it. Back in August, her bloodwork was back to normal, her weight
back up, and her activity back to normal. She looked great, and we
thought everything was fine.

She started losing weight. She was still eating, just not as much. Last
Sunday, she stopped eating. The first day, I thought she was tired of
the food, so I was trying to switch it up. I had a back injury, so I
went to the doctor on Monday. She was still not eating that night, and
seemed to be hanging out by the water bowl, so we went to the vet
Tuesday morning.

She had some goop (not there before), so the vet figured she had a
respiratory infection again, and her gums were really pale. So he took
a blood sample and prescribed the prednisolone and the antibiotic
again, which worked great before. She was also dehydrated, so they did
sub-Q injection there and I took a pack home to continue. I also got
some canned food, which I mixed with water to give her with an eye
dropper.

The next day, the vet told me the bloodowrk was a little worse than
last time, and confirmed the prescription dosages.

No improvement on Tuesday or Wednesday. On thursday, as we were heading
to the door to take her back to the vet, she died.

When I was doing my online research during the last round, I really
couldn't find any big serious issues that cause immune mediated anemia.
Looking at different symptoms this time, it sounds like she had kidney
failure which would explain the lack of appetite, dehydration, and the
excess thirst. But that implied non-regenerative anemia, which was not
the case with Kira's bloodwork. She had a geriatric panel in
February, a regular full panel in July, and CBC panels 8/4, 8/11, 8/29,
and 10/17. All of them said regenerative. And her full panel in July
had normal levels for BUN and creatine (and most everything else).
Could it go bad that fast?

I know it's too late. I just can't understand what happened. She seemed
so healthy. A week ago, I was just beginning to get a feeling that
something was wrong. She was active and happy. Good weight and healthy
coat. The first time, she was just barely anemic when I figured there
was a problem and took her in. This time, she went from looking great,
to being dead in a week.

I know I missed the excess urine. They all pee in the same corner or
each box, so I just assumed it was multiple cats. I do the downstairs
boxes, and my mom does upstairs. I didn't think to ask if the upstairs
box was getting less business.

I won't have a senior again for several years, but what should I be
looking for? My first cats lived to be 18 and 19, so losing Kira at age
12 just came out of nowhere. I thought I was being proactive by doing
annual bloodwork and by taking her in again in July and requesting new
bloodwork. But it didn't catch anything aside from the anemia which
doesn't seem to be the only problem.

Old October 23rd 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have a cat with crf but it's been a gradual decline--the main thing I
noticed with her is that she had less of an appetite and was less active
(not very specific!) She's always drunk and peed a lot and that hasn't
changed. With Kira, were her BUN and Creatinine elevated?

It's so hard to say goodbye, especially when it's so unexpected.
Bonnie

Old October 23rd 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Cats are all different, just like people. The first cat I had
developed kidney failure at age 16 and died within 4 months. However,
they weren't doing much to treat it back then - early 80's. I always
blamed myself - I always gave her milk and she would not drink water.
The rest of my cats have never had a drop of milk and have not had
kidney failure - coincidence? Who knows? Why do some of us die of a
heart attack at age 50 and some live to be 104?!

Old October 23rd 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote

On thursday, as we were heading
to the door to take her back to the vet, she died.

Oh Meghan I am so sorry.

Old October 24th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lesley

wrote:
I know this is too late to ask as Kira died on Thursday.

But I am still stunned and trying to figure out how we missed it.

First of all I am sorry for the loss of Kira

The nearest I've had was Fugazi, on Tuesday morning she was eating,
playing "King of the Catle" with her sister Isis. A few weeks before I
had thought she looked a little thinner than usual but she was eating
well and put the weight back on (I was new-ish to older cats then so I
just kept an eye on her anyway taking her to a vet would 1. Have made
no difference and 2, Been traumatic for her and the vet staff!)

Dave called me at work to say she had a funny turn and it worried him
so I ran home only to find she seemed okay had eaten some food and used
her box and as Dave had booked a vet's appointment for 5.30 the next
day and neither of us knew how fast cats can go downhill

About 8.30 Dave said "She's doing it again" Indeed she had a brief
period where she stood up looked dazed and how do I put this?! Her left
front leg did a perfect Nazi salute! Then she fell over but after a few
Minutes she was okay again and went to investigate her food bowl

By the end of the day she was having more and more of these turns and
getting weaker between them

We managed to change the timing of the vets appointment (Mostly by
changing the vet)

and just over 24 hours after she had been playing with her sister and
winning, I was faced with the news that she had inoperable cancer and
through she wasn't suffering (Vet said I could take her home for one
last night but I decided not to put her through the journey again (She
had been upset in the carrier) and I don't think I could have handled
taking her home, having Dave think things were okay when she came back
and then having to take her back the next morning knowing full well
what I would have to do) I sent her over the Bridge

Thye can go downhill so fast

And once again sorry about Kira

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old October 24th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
meeee

I am so sorry Meghan. I wish I had something to contribute but I'm afraid I
know even less than you. But we're thinking of you, and with you in spirit
at this difficult time.

ups.com...

Old October 24th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deeanna

I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty. I know all too well how
painful it can be.

I think you did all you could for her, especially since you were very
proactive in taking her to the vet. Sometimes, though, when one thing
happens, it can have a snowball effect and start shutting other bodily
functions down OR sometimes they never fully recover from an ailment
which also starts a decline in their health as well. I think the best
that we can do is watch them closely and spend as much time with them
as possible to get to really know them so that when they do start
acting odd, at least we will be able to give the vet good information
about their activities.

With my experience in losing my beloved Rocky last year to kidney
failure, I found that yes, it does come on quite fast. He had lost
three pounds within three months and had quit eating. I had noticed
his weight loss, but thought it was just his age. I also noticed he
wasn't moving as quickly as he used to, but again, I thought it was his
age. I did not know he was dehydrated because I always saw him
drinking water. It was hard for my to gauge who is going to the
bathroom the most since at the time I had six cats.

I took Rocky to the vet on a Thursday and, sadly, did not visit him on
Friday or Saturday because I did not want to upset him. More than
anything he hated cages, yet he passed away on Sunday, all alone and in
a cage at the vet. I found out Monday morning when I went to visit him.
I was, and still am, absolutely devastated. I suffer from a
tremendous amount of guilt because I did not visit him and wasn't with
him when he passed. He was with me 16 of my 20 years in the Navy and
was from Italy. He traveled with me from Italy to California to Hawaii
to England and finally to Alabama.

I have seven fur babies now and I try to spend as much time with them
both as a group and individually so I can get as close to them as
possible and really get to know them. Plus, it is therapeutic for me;
nothing is more comforting than a purring kitty gazing lovingly into my
eyes. Their love is pure and unconditional.

Many prayers to you for comfort.
Deeanna

Old October 24th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

I'm sorry to hear about Kira. I know you were trying so hard for her.

We did have a CRF kitty years ago but she had hers for years. It was a
slow degeneration in her case.

Did you decide to have a necropsy done?

You took good care of Kira, take care of yourself now.

Rhonda

Old October 24th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Rhonda wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about Kira. I know you were trying so hard for her.

We did have a CRF kitty years ago but she had hers for years. It was a
slow degeneration in her case.

Did you decide to have a necropsy done?

No, we have always brought ours home so that the other cats and dogs
can see and smell and start the grieving process at the same time. And
then we bury them in the yard. We put Kira next to Maynard, her only
real animal buddy. I'd like to put a nice blue azaela over her.

If there were a really good reason to have it done, I would. But it
won't bring her back. And I don't think I would get to bring her home
after that, and I probably wouldn't want to.