I have 32,000 saved posts...

Old November 30th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Daniel Mahoney

Default I have 32,000 saved posts...

I must be missing something really obvious. Why can't Dan just
redistribute them on a CD-R?

Thanks for your helpful suggestions!

Adam

I could do that! I can also make them available by FTP.

Dan
Old November 30th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Adam[_3_]

Mme. Anaïs ^..^ wrote:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:05:24 -0500, Adam's nimble, little paws typed:

I'm running Linux for all my everyday tasks.

As I said before, I consider Unix/Linux (unless it's being used in a
professional IT service) to be a boy-toy for hobbyists. I learned it
for my MS in CompSci, but lets face it: if you really want to use it
without a degree program, you need to join a LUG!

I'm sure we've both already been through this discussion elsewhere, so I
think we'd better just "agree to disagree." I do see one important
point that I think we can both agree on:

If anybody's using Google Groups to follow this or any other newsgroups,
there are newsservers and newsreaders that are MUCH MUCH more
convenient, including some free ones. Both are available for whatever
operating system(s) you're using.

Adam, MSCS, member MHVLUG
Old November 30th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Daniel Mahoney

I'm sure we've both already been through this discussion elsewhere, so I
think we'd better just "agree to disagree." I do see one important
point that I think we can both agree on:

If anybody's using Google Groups to follow this or any other newsgroups,
there are newsservers and newsreaders that are MUCH MUCH more
convenient, including some free ones. Both are available for whatever
operating system(s) you're using.

Adam, MSCS, member MHVLUG

For old-timers like me who first learned to work from the command line,
Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/etc are much more productive than either Windows
or OS X. I like using my Mac when I'm surfing from my living room
rocking chair, but if I have any serious work to do I open an xterm and
start writing shell scripts (or throw together some perl or python).

My personal experience with Windows has been that a machine that does
much heavy work usually has to be rebooted pretty often. When I ran
servers for a previous employer, a couple of Windows machines were in
the mix. It was quite easy to get a year of uptime on the Linux boxes,
but I never got more than 8 to 10 day uptimes on the Windows box.

For personal use and most home computing Windows is fine, as long as you
have good antivirus, anti-spyware, and firewall software. I remember
when I first put Nancy's Windows machine on the DSL back in Highland; we
had installed a firewall package that could be configured to report when
it found an intrusion attempt. She was amazed when the firewall started
reporting break-in attempts within seconds of booting up!

However, if you ever want to work with an environment that allows you
huge flexibility, great stability, and much higher immunity to intrusion
than Windows offers, it's hard to beat Linux. Yes, it does have a
learning curve - OpenOffice is enough different from Microsoft Office
that the transition can take some time, and Gimp's commands are enough
different from Photoshop's that it can take a while to figure out how to
common things. But I love that I can get open-source application
programs that do much the same thing as Windows staples. For people who
work with multimedia, it's really hard to beat Ubuntu Studio.

Dan
Old December 1st 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee

"Gandalf" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 06:41:29 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

I'm a long time lurker here.

Back in 2003, I started saving posts, because I just didn't have time
read them; I'm not very good at reading meow chat.

So now, many years later, I have over 32,000 saved posts. Once I
started
saving a thread, I saved all of it, until there were no posts, to the
best of my knowledge.

I would like to pass them along to somebody, long and deeply involved
with RPCC, who can keep them, and perhaps pass them along to others.

I would have to send them on a USB jump drive; it would only work with
PC.

The program can be run right off the USB jump drive, or be copied to a
hard drive.

I have used an old newsgroup reader program called Agent Forte; I got
it
10 years ago, and it was old then.

But it keeps the posts in 'thread order', by date, with the author's
name, etc. I has been a very good program for reading newsgroups.

Recently, I have lost the entire saved contents of two other
newsgroups,
including a huge number I had saved on rec.pets.cats.health+behav.

I am afraid the program may be deteriorating, and I do not want to
lose
all the posts I saved on RPCC, as well, before I can pass them along.

And, once saved on another hard drive, they could be passed to other
people, using a jump drive.

Discuss this on the group, and pick one person you all feel would a
good
person to send this irreplaceable history of this wonderful news
group.

My E-mail address is good, but I don't want to receive E-mails from
individuals wanting the data; I want the person chosen by consensus in
this open forum.

If things should get ugly, and I certainly hope that doesn't happen, I
will withdraw my offer; permanently and irrevocably. I can, and I
WILL.

So no Ego Trips, please. Lets keep this discussion positive.

Thank you.

Gandalf

I would prefer to keep it within the USA.

I have a USB jump drive

I think I was reading RPCC for awhile before I started saving the
posts,
but I don't know for how long. Perhaps as long as a year or two. I
almost never posted.

The first thread I saved is titled 'Alone on Easter Island', and was a
continuation of another thread I sadly did not save. It is dated April
20, 2003, and has 190 posts in the thread.

Sadly, at first I only saved threads that I didn't have time to read;
later, and I don't know when, I just decided to save the threads that
were interesting to me. Doubtless, for as many posts as I saved, (and
it's more like 35,000) there may be an equal number that I didn't
save.

But, at least I have the ones I did save in an easy to read format.

I have to get a bigger USB drive: my 'archive', and the software that
contains it, is too big for my 128meg jump drive.

I could have bought one pretty cheap on Black Friday, but I just
didn't
think of it

It sounds like the consensus is that it should go to Dan M., and I
agree.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments about 'ego trip',
but
I have seen things get really ugly when one person has something, and
several, or many, people, think THEY should get it. I just didn't want
to get caught in the middle

Even on RPCA, the group I do read and post on a fair amount, I have
seen
a LOT of really nasty sniping at people, and that is what I was
thinking
of.

I have not seen that here, and I'm sorry for my unnecessarily harsh
comments and 'conditions'.

If I had several 'extra' USB jump drives, I would not mind sending
multiple copies, but I don't.

And I want to get this sent before the holiday mail rush too; I would
be
very, very upset if it got lost in the mail, and I lost the saved
posts
on my computer, too.

I have copied this program with all the saved posts, from computer to
computer, and through several upgrades, and now I am having trouble
with
it. I should have acted earlier, but there never is enough time, is
there?

This is a great group, and I am sorry I have not contributed to it
over
the years I have been reading it.

But, at least I saved part of it, and now I can pass it on to someone
who is far, far more knowledgable about computers than I am; perhaps
he
can devise an easy way to make it available to more people, or even to
everyone.

Gandalf ---just a lurker here.

Sounds great!
BTW, one way to get rid of the karets, at least with windoz, but perhaps
with any word processing program, is, after arranged in cronological
order, to go too Edit-- Replace--All-- and put one in the top
window, nothing in the bottom, and bonk, all s are removed. Sure
makes for cleaning up easier. Probly not the only way, but it's what I
use when I want to clean up a thread.

HTH
Sylvia M.

Old December 1st 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Gandalf

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:39:34 -0800, "Pi2nya AKA Sweetee"
wrote:

"Gandalf" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately, the carats are inserted by the Usenet News Reader
software I'm using: an old version of Agent Forte.

Copying a post to a Windows word processing program, (copy paste, etc)
might make that possible. I've never tried.

Gandalf
Old December 1st 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Daniel Mahoney

Unfortunately, the carats are inserted by the Usenet News Reader
software I'm using: an old version of Agent Forte.

Copying a post to a Windows word processing program, (copy paste, etc)
might make that possible. I've never tried.

Gandalf

If the messages can be exported to a text file (what I will be
attempting) it will be easy to remove carats using a tool like sed.
Old December 12th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Ray or Fran

Thank you very much Gandalf for offering this and to Dan. It is wonderful
to have so much history saved.

Fran

--
Remove "spam" from addy to reply

Eilish Could Not Be Saved Jannie Cat health & behaviour 8 November 25th 08 04:31 PM
this saved my kitty! pattys Cat health & behaviour 2 April 20th 05 02:48 PM
Saved Kitten Karen Cat anecdotes 6 November 19th 04 12:51 PM
We were saved....... Mischief Cat anecdotes 4 November 5th 04 09:00 PM
Another cat saved by declawing. He Who Walks Cat health & behaviour 121 May 31st 04 09:11 PM