Hubert and TED - Questions

Old September 28th 04, 02:06 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:48:43 -0600, Karen
yodeled:

in article , LOL at
wrote on 9/28/04 1:27 AM:

This afternoon I took Hubert to TED; as long as we were there, he had
his second round of shots, which were due later in the week; we also
re-affirmed his Giant Kitten status - 4.75 pounds! He's only 9 weeks
old! TED said he's the biggest kitten he's ever seen - he's bigger
than lots of six month old kittens he sees.

I made the vet appointment because on Saturday and Sunday we'd noticed
that Hubert's left eye droops sometimes. It's not red or watering or
otherwise unusual-looking, and it doesn't seem to bother him, but
there's a definite droop, quite pronounced when he's tired. TED
looked at his eye and said it looked perfectly normal, and suggested
that it might be a behavioral quirk. I am not entirely happy with
this answer. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I am hoping the
collective wisdom of this group will know just what this is and that
it's nothing to worry about; certainly nothing to go whisking him off
to a feline neurologist about. Right? (I am trying to talk myself
out of said whisking, at least without waiting to see if it keeps
happening.)

Also, I mentioned in the context of Hubert's enormousness that he's
still nursing, and it looks hilarious because he's so big. TED said,
"Separate them." I said "Do we *need* to?" TED said "Yes." I said
"For how long? I'd thought that Lula might cut him off when she was
spayed, but she didn't." TED said "For two to three weeks, until she
dries up."

Noooooo!!! I don't want to do this! They will both be *very*
distressed by this! Is there any harm in his still nursing at 9
weeks? Lula's put on some weight, so even though he's a huge kitten
she's getting plenty of nutrition for herself. We're still feeding
them both kitten formula dry food, available all the time; their
canned food is adult formula for Lula and kitten formula for Hube. He
doesn't nurse as much as he used to; just once or twice a day as best
I can tell. Is there any harm in giving them more time for Lula to
wean him herself?

*sigh*

Help me Obi-Wan-RPCA, you're my only hope. ;-)

------
Krista

Don't know about the eye, but our cat Meow would NOT wean her kittens. They
were Hubert's age and the doctor finally just spayed her. Kept her separated
for a bit after the spay but she dried up fine and continued to groom and
nuzzle her kittens until they all died at ripe old ages.

Reminds me of the joke about the eternally squabbling couple-- "We're
staying together until the children die."

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old September 28th 04, 04:26 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"LOL" wrote in message
om...
I've never seen a teenager (snippage) still
nursing.

Ahem... would you like to explain the nursing thing to my 57 year old
boyfriend? Actually, it doesn't bother me a bit as long as he doesn't do it
in public LOL

Jill

Old September 28th 04, 04:29 PM
jmcquown

LOL wrote:
This afternoon I took Hubert to TED; as long as we were there, he had
his second round of shots, which were due later in the week; we also
re-affirmed his Giant Kitten status - 4.75 pounds! He's only 9 weeks
old! TED said he's the biggest kitten he's ever seen - he's bigger
than lots of six month old kittens he sees.

I made the vet appointment because on Saturday and Sunday we'd noticed
that Hubert's left eye droops sometimes. It's not red or watering or
otherwise unusual-looking, and it doesn't seem to bother him, but
there's a definite droop, quite pronounced when he's tired. TED
looked at his eye and said it looked perfectly normal, and suggested
that it might be a behavioral quirk. I am not entirely happy with
this answer. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Persia has a slightly droopy eye... when she is tired it tends to get that
way. Frankly, so does one of mine so I never considered it to be a problem.
As others have said, as long as Hubert doesn't exhibit any other symptoms
(runny or weepy eye, etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm sorry I can't help with the nursing question but it seems to me they
Lula will stop him when she's ready. I can't see the point in stressing
them out unnecessarily.

Jill