Older cat not using litter box all the time

Old February 5th 04, 07:13 PM
Andy Cuffe

Default Older cat not using litter box all the time

I'm having trouble with my 18 year old female cat only using the
litter box about 99% of the time. That last 1% is getting very
unpleasant!

This has been developing for several years, so I don't think it's a
health problem such as a UTI. She sees the vet regularly and is
displaying no other signs of problems. Her kidneys were ok at her
last checkup 3 months ago.

It started when she would occasionally urinate on the bathroom rug
instead of in her litter box which is in the same bathroom.
Eventually, I got tired of washing the rug and just removed it and the
problem was solved for a while. Then she took a liking to any clothes
on the floor, so I stopped leaving clothes on the floor. Any time I
do slip up and leave even something as small as a sock on the floor, I
can just about be guaranteed it will have been urinated on within a
matter of hours. This is particularly true of anything left on the
bathroom floor where her litter box is. Now she occasionally goes on
the carpet, or sometimes furniture. It's mostly a problem upstairs
which is also where her litter box is. It's particularly annoying
when I have guest over because they can't leave bags on the floor, or
open suitcases.

I've tried adding a second litter box downstairs, changing to an
unscented scoopable litter from a scented scoopable litter.
Thoroughly washing the litter box doesn't seem to help. I scoop it
any time I see anything in it, usually 4 or 5 times a day. It also
doesn't seem to be that she just doesn't make it to the box. Often
when it happens, she will go farther to go on the carpet than to her
litter box. The few times I've seen her squat somewhere, she goes
straight to her box after I yell at her to stop. It seems like she
just doesn't understand that the litter boxes are the only place
that's acceptable.

She's VERY active for her age and still hunts successfully. She
practically lives outside in the summer. I think this might be part
of the problem because she's used to being able to go anywhere she
wants when she's outside. My carpet also looks like dirt.

I'm going to also ask my vet about it, but I would appreciate hearing
any other suggestions.

Andy Cuffe

Old February 6th 04, 02:27 AM
Gail

She should be checked for a UTI firstly without assuming that it is not one.
Are the sides to the litter box low?? They should be. I would try adding
another litter box upstairs amd also keep the one downstairs. As cats age,
they need more litter boxes and they need them very accessible to them (on
every level of the house). You can also try putting an article of clothing
or the rug where she urinated (don't wash it) in the litter box instead of
litter and see if she uses it. I would do this to the second box in the
bathroom.
Gail

Old February 6th 04, 04:37 PM
beth

Andy Cuffe wrote in message . ..
[...]

Andy
I hear ya! My almost 18 year old cat is doing something similar.
Urinating on the carpet that is 3 feet away from the litterboxes. He
checked out fine, no UTI. I keep cleaning it up and he keeps peeing!
I have no ideas for you now, but you have my sympathy. Anyone?

Beth