Video clip of Betty

Old August 31st 03, 06:59 PM
Frances Bolitho

Hi, Betty's really sweet.
I have a cat (Pirate) who lies on his back with his paws like that but with
his back legs in the air. He'll stay like that for ages but really he's
waiting for you to rub his tummy so he can rip your hand to pieces. There's
also the "look at how sweet I am" gaze which usually precedes some vicious
play!
Jane
Takayuki wrote in message
I was testing out a camcorder yesterday on Betty and the pet mice. I
captured the video of Betty into an MPG file, because it shows a
couple of her behaviors that puzzle me sometimes. She always makes
that murping sound, and she sometimes pulls herself along the lip of
that little cat tree. If I pet or brush her while she's on the tree,
she'll pull herself around and around in a sinuous swimming motion,
then flip around and repeat, clockwise, then counterclockwise...

Also, she often flips over on her back and pulls her paws to her chest
when I look at her. I'm not sure what that means either, except that
she probably wants attention. I was wondering if everyone else's cats
exhibit the same behaviors?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Takayuki9z/movie1.html (1.9 megabyte
MPEG-1 file)

And yes, I really talk like that to Betty

Old August 31st 03, 11:09 PM
Jeanette

That's so cute

Old September 1st 03, 12:56 AM
Takayuki

"Frances Bolitho" wrote:

Hi, Betty's really sweet.
I have a cat (Pirate) who lies on his back with his paws like that but with
his back legs in the air. He'll stay like that for ages but really he's
waiting for you to rub his tummy so he can rip your hand to pieces. There's
also the "look at how sweet I am" gaze which usually precedes some vicious
play!
Jane

Your Pirate must be cousin to Pam's Pine Cone! PC's name isn't
Pirate, but his occupation is piracy. His slave calls that maneuver
"the beached starfish".

Old September 1st 03, 01:04 AM
Takayuki

"Marina" wrote:

Nikki does the exact same things. They could be twins. When she puts up her
paws like that, I just call it her cutie look, and if I feel like it, I pet
her tummy, but she's not always happy with that, so I don't know exactly
what she wants. But when she pulls herself around the cat tree (or any other
piece of furniture), I know she wants to play. If she flops around on the
cat tree, I take out the ruler. She loves it when I poke around the plastic
ruler here and there around the cat tree, and by not using my hands, I save
myself scratches while she gets to play as rough as she wants to.

Nice to see you, Tak! Long time no see.

This is all helpful information. It didn't occur to me before that
Betty wanted to play when she presented her belly (I mean, I'm not
really sure how "belly" gets associated with "play"), but it does seem
to be true! Also, when I first saw her "swimming" around the cat
perch, I thought that indicated some sort of discomfort, but it became
clear pretty quickly that in fact, the opposite seemed to be true.

I also think that Nikki and Betty could be sisters. Nikki is just
more outdoorsy than her younger sister since she was born outside.
Betty observes moving things very carefully, but I've never seen her
catch a thing.

Old September 1st 03, 01:08 AM
Takayuki

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Felix likes knitting needles. :-)

I'd been wondering lately where Tak had run away to. :-)

I'm just a little busy these days, and hopelessly behind on RPCA. I
was really relieved that Susan found Otis.

Betty sometimes likes to bat and play with her cuticle scissors when
I'm trying to clip her claws, which makes things difficult.

Old September 1st 03, 01:43 AM
Tanada

Takayuki wrote:

"Frances Bolitho" wrote:

Hi, Betty's really sweet.
I have a cat (Pirate) who lies on his back with his paws like that but with
his back legs in the air. He'll stay like that for ages but really he's
waiting for you to rub his tummy so he can rip your hand to pieces. There's
also the "look at how sweet I am" gaze which usually precedes some vicious
play!
Jane

Your Pirate must be cousin to Pam's Pine Cone! PC's name isn't
Pirate, but his occupation is piracy. His slave calls that maneuver
"the beached starfish".

Nope, its called the "Dead Starfish." We've also called the "beached
whale" when Merlin does it as there is a great expanse to his belly.
I'm surprised that Pirate isn't on the cruise. They leave South Africa
tomorrow after their adoption day party for Thailand. They've been
having way too much fun.

Pam S. who donated blood to a dead starfish today
Old September 1st 03, 08:43 AM
Alphonze

I don't think
Betty likes belly rubs like Sugar does. She'll tolerate being touched
anywhere, but she looks exasperated when I pet her belly instead of
someplace she likes, like her chin.

Well, that is one *happy* cat! The belly rolling isn't necessarily a
sign that Betty wants to play, or that she wants belly rubs. It's much
simpler and much nicer than that. The most vulnerable bit of a cat's
anatomy is the soft, squishy belly, so by mrrrrping you a greeting and
rolling over, Betty is saying, "I love you and *trust* you, so much
that I'll expose my vulnerable tummy to you".

George (RB) was a great one for belly displays, but he hated having
bellyrubs. Betty might enjoy George's old favourite manoeuvre... when
she's gone tummy-up, gently put your fingers *under* her, between her
back and whatever she's lying on, and stroke her, so she's lying on
your fingers as they move. It used to make George dribble like a
teething toddler!

More videos!

Al.
Old September 1st 03, 02:38 PM
Marina

"Alphonze" wrote

Well, that is one *happy* cat! The belly rolling isn't necessarily a
sign that Betty wants to play, or that she wants belly rubs. It's much
simpler and much nicer than that. The most vulnerable bit of a cat's
anatomy is the soft, squishy belly, so by mrrrrping you a greeting and
rolling over, Betty is saying, "I love you and *trust* you, so much
that I'll expose my vulnerable tummy to you".

That is true, and I'm sure that's the case here with Betty, but when a cat
is in that position, it also has all its weapons at the ready, so to say, as
many of us have had the chance to discover. They lie there, looking innocent
and offering up their tummies for unsuspecting hoomins to sink their face
in, and then WHAM you have twenty claws and 30-something (?) teeth in your
scalp. ;o) This has been happening to me since I was a baby. I still haven't
learned.

George (RB) was a great one for belly displays, but he hated having
bellyrubs. Betty might enjoy George's old favourite manoeuvre... when
she's gone tummy-up, gently put your fingers *under* her, between her
back and whatever she's lying on, and stroke her, so she's lying on
your fingers as they move.

Oh, Nikki likes that, too. Not tummy rubs so much.

--
Marina

Old September 2nd 03, 12:28 PM
bewtifulfreak

Takayuki wrote:

Betty sometimes likes to bat and play with her cuticle scissors when
I'm trying to clip her claws, which makes things difficult.

My Greebo does that too, plays with the clippers! But he's generally
wonderful about letting me clip his claws....

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak