Pet Food

Old October 5th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default Pet Food

We keep having discussions of various pet foods and ingredients they should
or should not contain.

I'm getting more and more concerned with just where those ingredients come
from.

I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on beef lamb chicken and fish. Though it
seems the part of the animals as well as the source could be open to
interpretation.

But where are they getting the venison and duck they are now using?

What about all the added ingredients. Again many sources and origins are
possible.

Or the supplements. Where those come from and how they are made can vary
and awful lot.

Sorry, but I'm having one of those weeks when I don't feel like I can trust
anything anymore.

I think the trigger this time was someone mentioned fish oil. Do we always
know where fish oil comes from and that it is safe and free of contaminants
and non-allergenic?

(Still having a hard time mentally processing the Organic Spinach fiasco as
well as the current Tofu recall. Forget sprouts, they're deadly)

Jo

Old October 5th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

We keep having discussions of various pet foods and ingredients they
should or should not contain.
I'm getting more and more concerned with just where those ingredients
come from.
I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on beef lamb chicken and fish.
Though it seems the part of the animals as well as the source could
be open to interpretation.
But where are they getting the venison and duck they are now using?

China, probably. China has always reared vast numbers of ducks. The
venison may well be from Mongolia originally, or other countries in
central Asia - since it went capitalist, Mongolia's economy has more
or less collapsed completely and they have been killing their wildlife
on a massive scale (most of their large animals face extinction in a
few years).

Old October 5th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

(Still having a hard time mentally processing the Organic Spinach fiasco as
well as the current Tofu recall. Forget sprouts, they're deadly)

Tofu recall? This is the first I've heard of that. Off to Google...

Joyce
Old October 6th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
We keep having discussions of various pet foods and ingredients they
should or should not contain.
I'm getting more and more concerned with just where those ingredients
come from.
I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on beef lamb chicken and fish.
Though it seems the part of the animals as well as the source could
be open to interpretation.
But where are they getting the venison and duck they are now using?

China, probably. China has always reared vast numbers of ducks. The
venison may well be from Mongolia originally, or other countries in
central Asia - since it went capitalist, Mongolia's economy has more
or less collapsed completely and they have been killing their wildlife
on a massive scale (most of their large animals face extinction in a
few years).

I'm afraid that's what I'm thinking too. I'd like to think the US would
never import venison from elsewhere, and I know overpopulation is a problem
with deer species here. But I didn't think commercial sale of wild game
animals was allowed and didn't think domestic varieties were being raised
either.

Not to mention, wild game is all well and good. But its health and living
conditions can be pretty variable.

Jo

Old October 6th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Oct 5, 11:01 am, "jofirey" wrote:
[...]

I think a little paranoia WRT what your cat ingests is justified. I'm
still getting
updates on the friend-of-a-friend's cat who is basically dying of
kidney failure
due to the Menu Foods' fiasco. I don't think I'll ever stray from
Purina Products,
and I'll certainly think twice about *anything* imported from China.
Actually, I bought a little cutting board the other day, unwrapped it,
and the funkiest
odor came off of it. Turned it
over, and it said, "Made in China". I trashed it. It was the most
bizarre smell, and I
just didn't want any contact with any food any of us was going to eat.

Sherry