What To Do With My Cat?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 30th 03, 05:59 AM
Luvskats00

Default What To Do With My Cat?

My 4 year old (neutered) male dsh baby has been with me since he was 2 months
old. He had a companion - until August...my other cat (18 year old spayed dsh
female) passed away. I adopted a 5 year old (spayed) dsh female 6-7 weeks ago.
Resident cat has never allowed new cat to remain in one place..he chases her.
So, I kept new cat in bedroom and resident cat in the rest of the house. I
allowed them to mingle - supervised - for small periods of time throughout the
day/night. When resident cat became too much of a bully, new cat hid behind the
bookcase.

A pipe broke in my kitchen, forcing removal of parts of the wall, kitchen
cabinets,etc. Now that everything has been removed from the kitchen and
plaster is to dry (and eventually wall is to be painted, etc.) my resident cat
is not able to have access to the remaineder of apartment. Both cats need to be
in the bedroom.

There's the problem. Even if I cage new cat, resident cat goes around the cage
for hours bothering new cat. I put a sheet over the cage, but it's not serving
as protection.

I exhausted all options for foster situations and was looking to board new
cat....I hate to do it. There's one cat facility where they board cats in
"mini-rooms", not cages and let cats out to play.

Any other ideas will be welcome. I was looking to rent a second apartment (in
my building) for a month - if possible - and let new kitty stay there. No luck
so far. I'm in Queens, NY.

Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.