How to increase white blood cells count, with vitamin injections?

Old August 26th 04, 04:43 AM
Patricia

Default How to increase white blood cells count, with vitamin injections?

My 3 yo FIV+ cat has been hospitalized for two weeks now.
His white blood cell count is VERY LOW.
My vet would like to release him if the count goes up, but there are
no signs in that direction.

We spoke about Neupogen, which is successful with humans, but may have
a negative effects in cats in the long term, since this is
specifically made for a human system.

Someone told me that her vet managed to bring the WTC up successfully
in many cats, using injections of vitamin B & C, together with other
immune system supportive measures.

I am still waiting to hear from this vet, but maybe someone on this
list has heard of this protocol and could refer me and my vet to it.

Many thanks in advance

Patricia
Old August 26th 04, 01:23 PM
Phil P.

"Patricia" wrote in message
om...
My 3 yo FIV+ cat has been hospitalized for two weeks now.
His white blood cell count is VERY LOW.
My vet would like to release him if the count goes up, but there are
no signs in that direction.

We spoke about Neupogen, which is successful with humans, but may have
a negative effects in cats in the long term, since this is
specifically made for a human system.

Patricia,

Neupogen is very effective for acute or life-threatening neutropenia. In
situations such as yours the benefits certainly outweight the risks - if you
follow the proper protocol.

Please follow this *very* closely: Some cats develop antibodies against
Neupogen that not only neutralize Neupogen but they also neutralize the
cat's *own* neutrophils which can cause severe, life-threatening
neutropenia. So its *very* important to monitor your cat's neutrophil count
*very* closely.

Neupogen can be safe and you can minimize the risk of your cat developing
neutrophil-neutralizing antibodies with pulse therapy - IOW, short pulse
doses for no more than 3-5 days at the time. In fact, if I were you, I'd
leave your cat with your vet for the first 3-5 day treatment so he can
monitor your cat's response to therapy very closely.

Someone told me that her vet managed to bring the WTC up successfully
in many cats, using injections of vitamin B & C, together with other
immune system supportive measures.

The improvement in WBCs was probably due to the "other
immune system supportive measures". I don't think you have the time to
experiment with clinically unproven and/or unrealiable theories.

I am still waiting to hear from this vet, but maybe someone on this
list has heard of this protocol and could refer me and my vet to it.

You might want to call/contact Dr. Julie Levy at the University of Florida.
She's done some work with Neupogen and cats. I don't know if she's
published any papers on it yet.

Best of luck.

Phil

Many thanks in advance

Patricia

Old August 26th 04, 06:29 PM
Chris

When my Tucson's wbc went very low, vet gave her series of immuno regulin
injections ( 1 every other week for I think 4 shots)... She is FELV+--her
wbc went back up but I can't swear that it was the serum that did it......
Wonder if this would help in this situation...

"Phil P." wrote in message

om...