help stop an extortionist

Old March 6th 05, 05:30 PM
Tommasisx

Butchering a rabbit isn't illegal, but getting people to give you money
because the fear that you may do something they find objectionable is.
Problem is, is what he's doing constitute enough fear to be considered
extortion. Similar sites avoid the legal issue by stating somewhere on them
that they are a joke.
Terry
"Sereena Nightshade via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,
I've finally found this thread again... Anyway, as I said in my last out

of
place post, I really don't think this guy is going to eat Toby. He just
knows that he can pry money out of people by threatening to eat the

rabbit.
The problem, as I see it, is that I don't think it is illegal to butcher
and eat rabbits in the USA and most of Europe. In fact, there are breeds

of
rabbits bred specifically to be butchered. The fact that the guy states he
will take the bunny to a butcher to get the animal slaughtered makes it
certain that no legal branch is likely to respond to what this man is

doing
or saying he is going to do with Toby. It's sick, I agree, but I don't

know
how anyone could stop it.

Old March 7th 05, 12:28 AM
William Hamblen

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 04:39:51 GMT, "Sereena Nightshade via CatKB.com"
wrote:

I've finally found this thread again... Anyway, as I said in my last out of
place post, I really don't think this guy is going to eat Toby. He just
knows that he can pry money out of people by threatening to eat the rabbit.
The problem, as I see it, is that I don't think it is illegal to butcher
and eat rabbits in the USA and most of Europe. In fact, there are breeds of
rabbits bred specifically to be butchered. The fact that the guy states he
will take the bunny to a butcher to get the animal slaughtered makes it
certain that no legal branch is likely to respond to what this man is doing
or saying he is going to do with Toby. It's sick, I agree, but I don't know
how anyone could stop it.

It's a fake, like the National Lampoon cover of 30 years ago: "Buy
this magazine or we will shoot this dog." Check snopes.com for more
details. For one thing, Snopes reports that when you attempt to use
PayPal it tells you the client is not accepting payments.

Old March 7th 05, 12:32 AM
Sereena Nightshade via CatKB.com

I'm not sure if asking for money to not do something (something legal) that
people find appalling is illegal -- honestly I don't know. I'd have to
guess that it is not illegal. If he were scaring people by saying he would
come and hurt them or their pet if they did not give money it would be
illegal. If he were saying that he would kill the rabbit in some manner
that was considered inhumane it would also be illegal to do both that and
to ask money to not do it. Honestly, I was stalked for years by a truly
deranged lunatic and I found out the hard way that things, which are even
illegal and other things which are not but could or should be (blackmail
attempts and extortion specifically), can too easily be slanted by the
perpetrator allowing the perpetrator to get away with it. Sick as Toby's
owner (if we can call this guy an owner) is I doubt he is doing anything
here that anyone can get him in trouble for. I think it's sad that people
are giving him money though. According to the site, when I looked at it, he
has reportedly received about $20,000 so far. Another problem is that if he
is rewarded for this sick stunt (i.e. by getting the money) he will likely
try this or something worse in the future and probably get away with that
too. Moreover, who's to say that even if this freak-o gets his $50,000 (or
whatever he is demanding) that he won't simply demand more or else again. I
tend to wonder if he's breaking any Internet laws? Is he authorized to do
this on the site that he's on or something like that?

Old March 7th 05, 12:50 AM
Sereena Nightshade via CatKB.com

I just thought of something -- something that probably won't work, but here
it is: Has anyone considered contacting rabbit rescue and perhaps other
small animal rescue (i.e. other rodents) people? They might have some ideas
about what could potentially be done.

Another thing: The save Toby guy is probably getting off on the misery and
distress he is causing others. Perpetrators are like that and this guy is
probably a perpetrator of some kind (i.e. the more normal mind does not
purposely try to make a profit through the fear, horror, misery, distress,
etc. of others in real life situations).