My cat is "thinking outside the box"

Old August 4th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Michelle C.

Default My cat is "thinking outside the box"

James Egan wrote:
I have a 17 year old male cat named Chip. He started peeing and pooping
all around the house. He seemed lethargic, so I took him to the Vet,
thinking that he had a urinary tract infection. They gave him a 2-week
injection of anti-biotic. After two weeks, he was still pooping and
peeing all over. So, I got some Batryl from the Vet, and have been
giving him that for a week now. I've had him confined in the utility
room for several days, where he has been peeing in the litter box. So
Saturday, I cleaned the entire downstairs carpets very well, and left him
in the utility room one more night. Sunday morning we left him out, went
out shopping, and when we returned, he was laying on top of my son's toy
box with a load of poop about 2 feet from him. So, back in the utility
room he went.

The Vet assistant said that sometimes these infections can take weeks to
subside. The Vet herself said that if the problem doesn't subside soon,
then we can take x-rays, and perform some tests to see if we can pinpoint
the cause. But here's a couple of questions I have concerning this:

1. Can a urinary tract infection case a male cat to poop outside the box?

2. I know cat's love the heat, especially my Chip who lays in the hot bay
window with the sun beating on him But what's a realistic "high"
temperature to keep him at? The reason I ask is that the utility room
gets a bit warm.

-Thanks

Could it be that your cat now associates the box with the pain of the
UTI? It may take longer than a couple of days in the utility for him to
lose that association.

Best regards,
Michelle