Recommend a good cat brush/comb?

Old April 14th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

Default Recommend a good cat brush/comb?

In article , MLB wrote:
As for you, a shave and a close
haircut might make life easier for you!

I tend to get it cut short several times a year, and then let it grow until I
have difficulty putting on the bicycle helmet. It is truly wretched fur,
especially the beard. Right now, only a couple weeks after the defoliation,
it's quite liveable. Actually, if you care to "meet" me, I'm on my bicycle
club's site at:

http://www.ocrebels.com/images/Centu...2010/pic11.htm

which I'll have up through Saturday, and

http://www.ocrebels.com/images/Paner...2010/pic04.htm

which I'll have posted through Sunday; I keep photos up for one week. Don't
have anything current without the helmet.

While we are here, how are your fur kids now? Best wishes. MLB

Fairly normal. Eerz has shown no relapse, happily, and continues to eat
amazing amounts of food. She had an eye infection a couple weeks ago but we
seem to have cleared it up. Giovanni had a couple shots of depo (at $80 per,
to the vet's horror) to try and calm him down and stop the spraying. It seems
to actually be working; he's been somewhat less aggressive recently.
Watermelon still goes berserk if he even sees Giovanni, but otherwise is very
affectionate. Calico is so scared of Eerz that she now lives on the living
room couch, won't come into the bedroom or do "shower duty" in the morning,
and waits for me to come out and give her affection. She's due for her annual
shots, and still can't be picked up after 13+ years, so the annual problem is
about to recur.

Art
Old April 14th 10, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:
[...]

Those are great pictures and you look strong and healthy. The young
lady is very pretty. My brother (RB 53) had a strange hair pattern on
his face. He had a deep dimpled chin and the beard grew in circles on
each side of his chin. It gave him a problem shaving. (He's been gone
for nearly 40 years now -- he was a cat lover too).

Sending purrs that the fur kids will decide to be friends. It just may
happen some day. Keep riding that bike -- I loved bike riding in my
younger days. Best wishes. MLB
Old April 14th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

Those are great pictures and you look strong and healthy. The young
lady is very pretty.

I ride with Kim ocassionally, but she's seven weeks after a broken shoulder
from a crash, and the plate with seven screws is still causing her
considerable pain. She didn't feel she had 104 miles in her so she turned
back after the picture was taken while I continued onward.

I have a dual appointment for Calico and Watermelon tomorrow. My odds of
getting both of them are low.

Art
Old April 15th 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , MLB wrote:

Those are great pictures and you look strong and healthy. The young
lady is very pretty.

I ride with Kim ocassionally, but she's seven weeks after a broken shoulder
from a crash, and the plate with seven screws is still causing her
considerable pain. She didn't feel she had 104 miles in her so she turned
back after the picture was taken while I continued onward.

I have a dual appointment for Calico and Watermelon tomorrow. My odds of
getting both of them are low.

Art

Be sure to let us know how you manage getting the cats to TED. That
could be quite a story. MLB
Old April 15th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , MLB
wrote:

Those are great pictures and you look strong and healthy. The
young
lady is very pretty.

I ride with Kim ocassionally, but she's seven weeks after a broken
shoulder
from a crash, and the plate with seven screws is still causing her
considerable pain. She didn't feel she had 104 miles in her so
she turned
back after the picture was taken while I continued onward.

I have a dual appointment for Calico and Watermelon tomorrow. My
odds of
getting both of them are low.

Art

I've been known, when everyone is overdue for the vet, to just make
the appointment for 'whoever I catch first'.

Jo

Old April 15th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
My neighbor has to vacuum her bed every morning because one of her cat
sheds like crazy. Persia doesn't shed much; I just brush her once a week
(which she loves!) Any suggestions for a short hair-cat with a really
thick coat who seems to shed continuously? I wouldn't want to have to
vacuum my bed every morning.

The Zoom Groom is good. It will not deal with mats but sweeps up any loose
hair in its long rubber fingers (even if you think your cat hasn't got any,
it has) and even Boyfriend will let me use it on him with no problem.
That's my best suggestion.
Tweed

Old April 15th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Just as an unusual suggestion: I have a pet attachment for my vacuum
cleaner.

It's basically a soft rubber cylinder with a bunch of little rubber prongs
extending outward beyond the cylinder.

Wow, now *there's* a product that doesn't have much of a market.

Of course, because there isn't anything in the known universe that *all*
cats like, dislike, do or don't do, the number of people who would buy
such a thing is by definition not zero, and not just because you have
already stated that you have one. As I remember, Vino also liked to be
vacuumed, and I'm sure there are others. My cats would think I was utterly
insane if I came at them with one of those - even Roxy, who never runs
from the room when I vacuum. She does give it some distance, though.

Joyce

--
I promise I will meditate more closely upon the causal relationship
between going dumpster diving on Sunday afternoon and projectile
Old April 15th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Just as an unusual suggestion: I have a pet attachment for my vacuum
cleaner.

It's basically a soft rubber cylinder with a bunch of little rubber
prongs
extending outward beyond the cylinder.

Wow, now *there's* a product that doesn't have much of a market.

Of course, because there isn't anything in the known universe that *all*
cats like, dislike, do or don't do, the number of people who would buy
such a thing is by definition not zero, and not just because you have
already stated that you have one. As I remember, Vino also liked to be
vacuumed, and I'm sure there are others. My cats would think I was utterly
insane if I came at them with one of those - even Roxy, who never runs
from the room when I vacuum. She does give it some distance, though.

Joyce

I have a friend whose cat *loves* being vacuumed so she'd probably welcome
such an attachment! Persia doesn't like the sucky monster. I'm not a huge
fan of it myself since it means I'm cleaning the house.

Jill

Old April 15th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On 15 Apr 2010 17:49:42 GMT, wrote:

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Just as an unusual suggestion: I have a pet attachment for my vacuum
cleaner.

It's basically a soft rubber cylinder with a bunch of little rubber prongs
extending outward beyond the cylinder.

Wow, now *there's* a product that doesn't have much of a market.

Of course, because there isn't anything in the known universe that *all*
cats like, dislike, do or don't do, the number of people who would buy
such a thing is by definition not zero, and not just because you have
already stated that you have one. As I remember, Vino also liked to be
vacuumed, and I'm sure there are others. My cats would think I was utterly
insane if I came at them with one of those - even Roxy, who never runs
from the room when I vacuum. She does give it some distance, though.

Joyce

There was once some sort of Pet Vacuum at Target and the SO wanted to
get it but I said no. It was never there again and every once in a
while the SO will look at cat hair on something and pine about the
mythical Cat Vacuum that I so cruely rejected.

Espy is a bit on the deaf side and loud noises don't bother him much.
He would be perfectly happy to ride on top of the lawn mower, which I
refuse because of safety issues of course. It is electric and not gas
but still fairly loud and threatening to most cats. He probably would
have no problem being vacuumed. Except he doesn't like being touched.

Old April 15th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

Be sure to let us know how you manage getting the cats to TED. That
could be quite a story. MLB

Well, I grabbed Calico and got both of 'em in! Calico was so upset that she
soaked the carrier and me once I got her out. That's OK.

Watermelon, at the age of 15, has gained a couple pounds in the recent past,
which is really bizarre. He's now 18 pounds. He was just going to have a
couple shots, but his skin had started to break out - he's horribly sensitive
to fleas - so it turned into a full-fledged visit with cortisone shots.

Calico has been throwing up a lot, and they ran another thyroid test to see if
the Tapazole dosage might have to be increased. Otherwise, A-OK.

They both have heart murmurs, which have stayed constant and not gotten worse,
I was told.

I clipped Calico's nails and back home they went. Pretty uneventful, and she
forgave me quickly once inside.

Art