For Adopted Cats-Ever Wonder What Their Life Was Like Before You Adopted Them?

Old May 29th 04, 12:18 PM
polonca12000

So wonderful Shmogg and Fluffy found a great home with you.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Yowie" wrote in message
Shmogg was obviously a street-cat. Not quite feral (ie, wild and

untamable),
but certainly street smart. I don't think he had a *bad* life out there,

as
he wasn't skinny and we've never had any food issues with him. The only
"signs" that he was a street cat is that he's not all that affectionate

and
isn't a lap cat, that tends to bite & scratch if he's not getting his own
way. And of course his b*st*rd c*t skills.

Fluffy, though, makes me wonder. She was purchased from a pet shop the day
she was due to be put down because no-one bought her. snip

Old May 29th 04, 03:17 PM
jmcquown

Tanada wrote:
Sherry wrote:
Ahem. gets on soapbox, even though she's preaching to the choir

get at least one dump off of cats and/or kittens. Pine Cone was one
of
the lucky ones. He's still terrified of cars, which makes Rob and I
think he was tossed out of one. Poor Kid.

Pam S. wondering how he's going to keep from singing when we're
traveling as he "says" he's going along

This reminds me of a guy I used to work with telling me about a trip he and
his wife took. They were driving along I-40 through Arkansas when suddenly
someone flung something out the window from the car ahead of them. Keep in
mind, in some spots on that highway the speed limit is 70 MPH. It was a
kitten! (OMG) They had to swerve to avoid hitting the poor thing. They
stopped and the kitten was remarkably unscathed (but I'll bet it used up one
of its lives with that particular incident). Since his wife volunteers at
The House of Mews in Memphis, they brought the kitten back with them and she
was checked; the vet pronounced her healthy. At the proper age she was
spayed and put up for adoption. This guy had named her "Roadkill" which,
being a very *young* guy, he thought was funny. I'm pretty sure the cat was
renamed.

Jill

Old May 30th 04, 04:34 AM
Tanada

Yowie wrote:

For the record, the petshop Fluffy came from got closed down. I don't know
the reasons, but I can guess...

Good, it should have been closed down. We adopted Muffin RB from a pet
store in Kentucky. He was one of two kittens in a box with a sign on
the side that read "Free kittens, will be disposed of after ---" with
that day's date. We couldn't take in both of them, but at least we got
Muffin out of there. He was a love sponge who could and would convince
people that he was starving to death when he weighed 28 lbs. Faker.

Pam S.

Old May 30th 04, 04:52 AM
Susan M

"CajunPrincess" wrote in message
om...

Periodically I wonder what his life was like with whoever had him
initially.

This thread has got me alternately teary-happy and cranky-mad-as-hell when I
read about how our dear kitties lived before they came to their forever
homes with us. What is wrong with people???

I wonder about Otis since he was born in January in Calgary. Cold. He was
found de-hydrated and stray in March, which can still be savagely cold. On
his first day out at the shelter, Fred and I came in and Otis snagged me
with a claw through the cage and the rest is history. We had to wait three
days to see if someone claimed him. Three very long days. I can imagine
that Otis was a PITA to whoever had him before. He's been fearless and
attention seeking since then. He must have known he needed people with
perseverance and patience to live with him

And Chester? That Angel? He was a surrender to the shelter and I wonder
why on earth? He is the sweetest, most charming, composed cat I've ever
met. We picked him out on his last day. I mean, a couple hours later, he'd
have been killed. The enormity of that ... He's still terrified of brooms
and vacuums and cautious with the vast majority of people. He will walk
right up to a select few newcomers.

Susan M
Otis and Chester
hugging them tightly