Cute little... um...

Old December 3rd 05, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cute little... um...

In message , Adrian
writes
Have you ever heard the noise they make when two of them meet? I'm sure
that's why they got called hogs, they sound just like pigs grunting. :-)
Facinating creatures.

Goodness, yes. My parents' house was (still is!) a bungalow, so all
accommodation was at ground level. My bedroom overlooked the back
garden. The snurfling and grunting of a pair of hodgepigs woke me up on
more than one occasion.
--
Cathi
Old December 3rd 05, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 03 Dec 2005 10:33:43 GMT, wrote:

A friend sent me this picture, which she got from a friend, who got it
from a friend, etc. We don't know what kind of animal these are. Maybe
porcupines? Possums? Hedgehogs? Bats sleeping inside anemone? Vegetable
scrubbers? You decide. It's a pretty incredible photo nonetheless.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/kastanje.jpg

Joyce

PS - "kastanje" is Dutch for "chestnut", which doesn't tell you much
of anything about the animal.

They're very cute aren't they... but it looks like the caption should
be 'What's REALLY inside a chestnut...'

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Old December 4th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

A friend sent me this picture, which she got from a friend, who got it
from a friend, etc. We don't know what kind of animal these are. Maybe
porcupines? Possums? Hedgehogs? Bats sleeping inside anemone? Vegetable
scrubbers? You decide. It's a pretty incredible photo nonetheless.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/kastanje.jpg

I knew a guy in the military who had one of these. He said he was
allergic to cats and dogs, but not to his hedgehog. It was small
enough that no one cared if he had it in the barracks, since it slept
in a small cage when he wasn't in the room with it (he let it free on
his bed or his floor when he was home). He said it was a great pet, if
not particularly huggable.

--Fil

Old December 4th 05, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

~~

Does no one else find it slightly amusing that the poster of the
hedgehog pictures has a 'sonic.net' email address? ::grin::

Cheers,
Azy!

"In fact, the kind of people I personally gravitate toward are dog
people. They're usually guests, generally allergic, and often too
polite to neglect a quick scratch betwixt the ears before shooing me
along." ~Mr. Fleas, www.housecatwisdom.blogspot.com

Old December 4th 05, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
A friend sent me this picture, which she got from a friend, who got it
from a friend, etc. We don't know what kind of animal these are. Maybe
porcupines? Possums? Hedgehogs? Bats sleeping inside anemone? Vegetable
scrubbers? You decide. It's a pretty incredible photo nonetheless.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/kastanje.jpg

They're very cute! They look like someone crossed a puppy with a sea
urchin.

Old December 4th 05, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote:
It was a pure accident of course but for the rest of her time outside if a
hedgehog happened to be dining from her saucer before she got there, she
would just sit back until it had finished!

Poor KFC! But she's very sensible.

Old December 4th 05, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
A friend sent me this picture, which she got from a friend, who got it
from a friend, etc. We don't know what kind of animal these are. Maybe
porcupines? Possums? Hedgehogs? Bats sleeping inside anemone? Vegetable
scrubbers? You decide. It's a pretty incredible photo nonetheless.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/kastanje.jpg

Joyce

PS - "kastanje" is Dutch for "chestnut", which doesn't tell you much
of anything about the animal.

African pygmy hedgehogs, to be exact. Chestnut is probably the color
variant.
They make great pets - much like a guinea pig. They tend to carry skin
mites, though, so you need to get one from a breeder that will
guarantee that the stock if mite-free. They don't stink too badly, and
are easy to handle and care for.

I gave my Mom one for Mother's Day one year (I think it was). She
named him Kato Kaelin, as it was around the time of the OJ trial and he
looked just like his namesake.
-L.

Old December 4th 05, 07:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
variant.
They make great pets - much like a guinea pig. They tend to carry skin
mites, though, so you need to get one from a breeder that will
guarantee that the stock if mite-free. They don't stink too badly, and
are easy to handle and care for.

Should also have said that this is one of the only "exotics" I would
ever recommend as a pet. Most "exotics" don't do well as pets and
there are a number of reasons not to support the trade in exotics.
Also, rescuing a hedgehog should really only be left to those
experienced in their care.

Here are more color variants:
http://hedgehogcentral.com/colorguide.shtml
-L.

Old December 4th 05, 10:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
A friend sent me this picture, which she got from a friend, who got it
from a friend, etc. We don't know what kind of animal these are. Maybe
porcupines? Possums? Hedgehogs? Bats sleeping inside anemone? Vegetable
scrubbers? You decide. It's a pretty incredible photo nonetheless.

http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/misc/kastanje.jpg

One of my earliest memories is of a hedgehog that had wandered into our
front garden in England (which makes me less than four and a half). Dad woke
my sister and I up very early on a frosty cold morning, and we went out to
see the hedgehog in the garden withour eiderdowns wrapped around us.

The next thing I remember is my mother screaming at us - we had gone back
inside and fallen asleep in front of the fireplace, and our eiderdown
covered were scorching.

Poor old Dad was in the doghouse for weeks (my Dad and Dave Y should have
started a doghouse club), but I treasure the memory of our hedgehog. I
thinkt hey're adorable critters, and the Australian Echidna, whilst the same
idea, just isn't the same.

Yowie

Old December 4th 05, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Azy wrote:

~~

Does no one else find it slightly amusing that the poster of the
hedgehog pictures has a 'sonic.net' email address? ::grin::

I don't get it. Hedgehog... sonic... hedgehog... sonic... scratching
head

Joyce - the sonic.net poster

Super Cute! Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 4 October 11th 05 06:21 PM
Peepers charges his nana! (cute story) Trish Cat anecdotes 14 July 17th 05 09:32 PM
Isn't this cute? (Ebay auction - not mine) Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 0 May 2nd 05 05:34 PM
CUTE CUTE: Run don't walk Karen Cat anecdotes 6 July 17th 04 02:12 AM