Snake just came out of the ceiling!!!

Old December 5th 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Snake just came out of the ceiling!!!

How horrible! I'm glad everybody is ok.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

badwilson wrote:

Ok, I now know the feeling of complete and utter paralyzing terror. I
always laughed at how they show people freeze up in the movies, but
now I know it's totally true.
It's the King's birthday here and Dennis and I were out for dinner at
the beach with friends. We got home and were just standing in the
kitchen talking and stuff, when we heard this major scrambling coming
from inside the ceiling right above our heads.
We know we have rats in the ceiling that we've not been able to do
anything about, so we just joked that our rat friends were very active
tonight. Suddenly the scrambling stopped and we were looking up at
the ceiling when a snake appeared from the corner where there's this
fuse box. snip

Old December 5th 05, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:

Wow. I would have probably been just about as bad. I'm glad Vino didn't try
and get the snake!

Of course, the snake could probably be blamed on the
presence of the rats - I don't imagine Thai snakes are that
much different from U.S. ones, in that respect. I remember
the time my ex and I were camping, and encountered a very
sleepy rattler stretched across a sunny footpath, digesting
a rat. (As that big lump in his middle proved to be, after
the men in our party dispatched him.) Poor snake, all he
was doing was taking an after dinner nap - hardly worth
dying for!

Old December 5th 05, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon 05 Dec 2005 09:56:05a, badwilson wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes ):

Ok, I now know the feeling of complete and utter paralyzing
terror. I always laughed at how they show people freeze up in
the movies, but now I know it's totally true.
It's the King's birthday here and Dennis and I were out for
dinner at the beach with friends. We got home and were just
standing in the kitchen talking and stuff, when we heard this
major scrambling coming from inside the ceiling right above our
heads. We know we have rats in the ceiling that we've not been
able to do anything about, so we just joked that our rat friends
were very active tonight. Suddenly the scrambling stopped and
we were looking up at the ceiling when a snake appeared from the
corner where there's this fuse box.

snip

AAKK!! I can't imagine that! Hopefully that's the last until you
get to move. BTW, the King's birthday? I don't know anything about
the hierarchy in Thailand, but is that who you refer to? 'Scuse my
ignorance. LOL

--
Cheryl
Old December 5th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
Ok, I now know the feeling of complete and utter paralyzing terror. I
always laughed at how they show people freeze up in the movies, but
now I know it's totally true.
It's the King's birthday here and Dennis and I were out for dinner at
the beach with friends. We got home and were just standing in the
kitchen talking and stuff, when we heard this major scrambling coming
from inside the ceiling right above our heads.
We know we have rats in the ceiling that we've not been able to do
anything about, so we just joked that our rat friends were very active
tonight. Suddenly the scrambling stopped and we were looking up at
the ceiling when a snake appeared from the corner where there's this
fuse box. I had never noticed this, but the plaster is cracked away
above the fuse box and there's a hole there. You can't see it unless
you actually stand outside the kitchen because the fuse box blocks it.

snip --
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown
Check out pictures of Vino at:

I once saw a snake come out of a tiny little break in the mortar of my
chimney. Like you, I had never noticed it because it was so small. On the
other hand, the snake was also small. I grabbed a pair of long-handled
kitchen tongs and carefully caught the snake behind the head (didn't injure
it). I took it outside and left it go, then came back in and immediately
filled in the hole (and also sterilized the tongs before using them again
for food). I think the snake somehow came down between the brick chimney
and the flue that lines it.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old December 6th 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
Toppost.

Oh . My. Goodness!!!

I would have screamed the house down too, Britta! Thank goodness
Dennis and your neighbours were there! And yes, I'd also be teling
hte landlord to go shove his rent increase.

*shudder*

Yowie

Last time I visited my parents, my dad and I went out to his garage, we were
going to take a trip around the island in his golf cart. I spotted a coral
striped snake slithering into the garage.

Okay, coral snakes are extremely venomous. There was a 50/50 chance it was
just a small kingsnake, but coral snakes are well known in the area. So Dad
coaxed it out and then chopped it twain with a hand ax.

I don't feel bad about it; we are not herpetologists and it was headed into
their garage... we dumped the body of the snake on a vacant lot across the
street. An hour later it was gone. Someone had picked it up. Odd. I DO
hope it was not someone's pet kingsnake (it was a tiny snake, about 1 foot
long) but if it was... well, I'm sorry. It freaked us out.

Jill

"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]
it. So there we were, watching frozen in terror as this snake
appeared and fell to the ground. Suddenly I just lost it and
started screaming hysterically and made for the door. But in my
terror, I couldn't get the door open, I just kept fumbling with the
knob and screaming and Dennis was behind me trying to help and we
were just interfering with each other and I was more afraid than I'd
ever been in my life.
Suddenly we got the door open and I ran out into the road and
screamed some more and neighbours started appearing. But Dennis was
still
inside and I kept yelling at him to get the hell out of there. But
he said he better keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't get into
the rest of the house. The snake went under the fridge and Dennis
got
this Burmese sword that we have and I ran to the neighbour's and
between hysterical hyperventilations, got the message across about
what was happening.
So the neighbour and her husband, their 2 dinner guests and their
maid ran over to our house all bearing various gardening implements.
Dennis and the neighbour's husband ended up coaxing the snake out
from under the fridge after the maid sprayed a bunch of bug killer
under there. They pretty much squished the head and Dennis stabbed
it with the sword and took it out on the road.
First we thought it was dead but it was still moving. A car came
along and we hoped it would drive over it but it missed. So the maid
beat on it with a stick a whole bunch and when everyone decided it
was good and dead, she stuffed it down the sewer grate.
The neighbour lady told me that the maid had thought that Dennis was
beating me up because I was screaming so much. Apparently she was
peeking out the window trying to see over here to see what was going
on. I guess that kind of thing might be common place over here in
Thailand but I'm a little offended that she would think Dennis would
do such a thing. She's our maid too and knows him!
Everyone eventually went back to their houses.
Dennis and I stuffed a whole bunch of steel wool pot scrubbers in the
hole in the ceiling. Tomorrow we will get that spray foam stuff and
spray it up there. And we'll keep the kitchen door closed tight
tonight. Still I don't know how well I'll sleep :-(
I may need a drink.
Oh, and tomorrow I'm calling the landlord and telling him to take his
rent increase and stuff it where the sun don't shine.

Old December 6th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
Yowie wrote:
[...]

In order to be able to tell between a coral snake & a king of similar
coloring, remember:

Red touches yelllow, kills a fellow (as in the red and yellow bands will
touch, as the yellow separates the red and black bands)
http://www.wf.net/~snake/coral.htm

Red touched black, it's OK, Jack (the red and black bands touch instead of
red and yellow, as the black separates the red and yellow).
http://www.kingsnake.com/king/triangulum/abnorma.html

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old December 6th 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
[...]

Coral snakes are fairly common in this area. They are gorgeous but have
highly toxic venom. On the other hand, they are also very small snakes.
One of the men in our biology department told me that their fangs are so
small that they only they could bite through flesh and inject venom is if
they managed to find an area where the flesh is extremely thin (such as
between the fingers if the the fingers are stretched open). Otherwise, he
said, a person would also have to be willing to stand still while the little
snake "gnawed" through skin. I would be fearful of being in the vicinity of
large vipers such as rattlesnakes, copperheads, or water moccasins (all
common here), but coral snakes do not bother me (although I would certainly
give wide berth if I saw one, just to be extra-cautious).

MaryL

MaryL

Old December 6th 05, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

I recall being told something like that about most of the poisonous snakes
in Australia. It seems that almost all of them have very small teeth, so
the chances of actually receiving a fatal bite from one of them are pretty
small.

Joy

Old December 6th 05, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Don't they have a snake in the Thailand general area nick named the 3 step
basically you take 3 steps and the venom is so toxic your dead. I know
Australia has some of the most deadliest animals in the world

Old December 6th 05, 02:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
Ok, I now know the feeling of complete and utter paralyzing terror. I
always laughed at how they show people freeze up in the movies, but
now I know it's totally true.

....... Britta

That would be unnerving for sure. Was it a poisonous snake?
It was probably helping you solve your rat problem.
It sounds like a good example of being careful what you ask for because you
just might get it. (grin)
Or, from the snake's point of view, no good deed goes unpunished.
Annie

Ranger and the grey snake Dan M Cat anecdotes 6 October 26th 05 12:15 PM
toys: hanging something from the ceiling? John Doe Cat health & behaviour 69 March 11th 05 11:17 AM
Snake! badwilson Cat anecdotes 20 February 27th 05 02:53 AM
Victor Velcro and the Mama Snake Charleen Welton Cat anecdotes 27 June 23rd 04 02:19 PM
Bonnie Catches a Snake Bev Cat anecdotes 15 January 11th 04 08:22 PM