Clearing the air

Old March 19th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Clearing the air

Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
pride...........

3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
again.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
here.

Have a great weekend and week

Sherri

Old March 19th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time. If you
were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
someone saying something.
I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only reason
to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my rumble who
almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was ripping his face
off.

You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have corrected
your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.

I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the group
is great.

oups.com...

Old March 19th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.

Speak for yourself!! I can guarantee you that Phil, Megan, Sherry,
Cheryl and a number of others have never declaed cats!!!!!!

-L.

Old March 19th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.

Speak for yourself!! I can guarantee you that Phil, Megan, Sherry,
Cheryl and a number of others have never declaed cats!!!!!!

-L.

What do the words I think mean to you L!

Old March 19th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time. If you
were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
someone saying something.
I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only
reason to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my
rumble who almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was
ripping his face off.

You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have
corrected your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.

I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the
group is great.

I have never declawed any of my cats, but that is really due to luck and
good fortune. Years ago, I actually planned to declaw my wonderful friend
because I did not know what the procedure involved (that was before the days
of the Internet and easy access to newsgroups such as this one). I
visualized the procedure as a simple little surgery that would remove the
nail and *roots* of the nail. I had *no idea* that it is actually
amputation!! Fortunately, I did not have it done, and I will be forever
grateful for that. Ironically, I soon learned (as have many others) that it
was very easy to train my cat to use a scratching post. So, the surgery
would have been both cruel and unnecessary -- but, as I said, it was simply
"luck" that saved my dear friend's claws. Once I learned what the procedure
involved, I knew that I would *never* subject any cat to that barbaric
practice. At the same time, I do have compassion for anyone who has had
their cat declawed while under the same type of mistaken assumption as I
was. My anger and disdain are reserved for the person who goes ahead with
declawing even *after* learning what the operation actually entails.

Years later, I did adopt a beautiful little cat who had been declawed on
*all four* paws. She was a wonderful, sweet, angelic little girl. She
still wanted to "scratch" even without her claws, so I got her a "scratching
post" covered with a soft fabric, and she loved it -- she would have been
very easy to train but was never given that chance. She compensated pretty
well for her lack of claws, but she never had the grace and agility of all
of my other cats, and she developed arthritic pain in her front paws that I
believe can be attributed to the declaw. She lived to be 16. Here is a
picture of her, taken when she was 15 (a photo taken by a friend of mine who
is a professional photographer and who gave me permission to post the
photo): http://tinyurl.com/fajhr

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

For us it was 20 years ago when it was actually recommended to do it. Our
vet at that time did not tell everything about it when we asked. It took
our current vet to tell us the truth and NEVER AGAIN

Old March 19th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL )" 10 points a troll
@linethetrollsup.com wrote in message
.. .
For us it was 20 years ago when it was actually recommended to do it. Our
vet at that time did not tell everything about it when we asked. It took
our current vet to tell us the truth and NEVER AGAIN

The time when I "almost" had my cat declawed goes even farther back than
that -- to 1966.

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 18 Mar 2006 18:40:28 -0800, "Sherri"
wrote:

Now that I don't have people jumping all over me,I have swallowed my
pride...........

3 years ago I made a huge mistake.Didn't ask questions nor do any
research and declawed my 2 cats. Now that I have learned more and have
started working as a vet tech,I will no longer declaw a cat.
BUT............ I also will not jump all over someone who comes here
and post that they did.I'll just explain why they should never do it
again.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I learn here almost every time I come
here.

Have a great weekend and week

Sherri

Yeah, this group has a lot of people who know quite a bit about cats
and are passionately attached to them.

When you think of all the misery cats experience in this world, it's
good that they have such advocates.

But too much moral concensus breeds intellectual complaisance, a sense
that "this is my social niche, the hard questions have been answered,
and now all I gotta do is get along."

Like the bar in "Cheers."

And, of course, that is where moral rot sets in, because we are all
guilty of something, and the mandate to get along requires us to
overlook the sins of our friends while enforcing group solidarity with
ritual stonings.

But, the nice thing about Usenet is you can stone back. Or just get
stoned and not care.

Charlie
Old March 19th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

oh! you're better now!
lol

I never knew you had your cats declawed...

I can't figure why you would want to clear the air, I still don't quite get
your meaning here.

Im sure you're mature enough to not beat yourself up over this. of course
you're not.

Where you been! you been hiding out!

did you miss me?

of course you didn't lurker! i knew you was there all along.

what's next? D. goin say she had her cats declawed too?

Most of the poeple I know personally whos cats have been declawed? they have
no remorse about it, of course I may or may not say anything, just depending
on how the topic comes up.

How many cats you got now?

oups.com...

Old March 19th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:

Sherri I think every one here declawed there cats at one time.

Not me. I investigated it many years ago and decided against it.

If you
were well informed about the procedure than did it than I could understand
someone saying something.
I also declawed our cats many many years ago before my current vet had
become certified. He showed me the truth NEVER AGAIN. Now the only reason
to declaw is when it is totally medical necessary like for my rumble who
almost had to have it done because of his epilepsy; he was ripping his face
off.

You learned you made a mistake, you learned your lesson, you have corrected
your current view on the matter. Enough said and done.

I learn all the time when I come here except for a few nut balls the group
is great.

oups.com...