More on the Diamond pet food recall

Old January 10th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default More on the Diamond pet food recall

Reposted from another group. It seems that the Costco Kirkland
store brand and the Chicken Soup lines may also be affected:

Diamond Pet Food Recall
1/4/06 11:53am ET - Update From AnimalHelp:

Despite claims that the brands below are the only brands
affected, We have received feedback from pet owners who have
recently fed both Cosco "Kirkland"
brand pet foods and Chicken Soup Brand Dog Food, whose pets have
exhibited the same
symptoms as noted with Diamond Brands and the aflatoxin
contamination.

**Please be aware that while these animals had all the same
symptoms of aflatoxin illness the test results have not been
completed yet and it will be a short time
before we know for sure whether their deaths were caused by the
food. There are other illnesses and diseases that cause liver
failure and may be to blame. But because the foods
these animals were eating are all made by Diamond, and the
symptoms are the same, we want to warn you to be on the lookout
for similar illness in your animals until we know for sure.

Sadly, a 2 year old Skye Terrier died Monday January 2nd, 2006.
He was eating Chicken Soup brand food and displayed the symptoms
of aflatoxin illness before
he died. The other dogs in this household are also sick. Liver
profiles, toxicology
screenings and pathology results are pending.

Also, a cat death has occured on Tuesday January 3rd, 2006 in SC.
This cat was eating Cosco brand cat food and displayed the
symptoms of aflatoxin illness. Pathology results are pending on
this cat. We know of one other cat who almost died from the same
symptoms of aflatoxin illness and also was being fed Cosco brand
cat food.

Cosco's Kirkland Brand pet foods are made by Schell & Kampeter,
who also make the Diamond Products. Chicken Soup is considered
one of their super premium
food, and they also make Nutra Nuggets. Cosco Kirkland is made at
one or more of the
Diamond plants.

If you feed your pet Cosco brands - or ANY other pet food brands
(it is possible that other
store brands are made at Diamond plants) - and see illness and
symptoms as mentioned
here, we urge you to get your pet to your veterinarian
immediately for a liver profile.

We expect the Chicken Soup brands and the Cosco brands will be
added to the official recall very soon if the test results from
these two recent deaths
provide proof that cause of death resulted from ingestion of
aflatoxin in the food. We will keep you up to date if any changes
are announced.

Because of testing conducted by officials in North Carolina,
Diamond Pet Foods has added Diamond Professional for Adult Dogs to
the list of recalled products
manufactured in our Gaston, S.C. facility and distributed in the
eastern U.S.

The product, Diamond Professional for Adult Dogs, contains a
"Best By" date of January 29, 2007.

Testing performed by the North Carolina agriculture department
showed a single bag of the product contained high levels of
aflatoxin. The product was
discontinued in August of this year.

According to Mark Brinkmann, chief operations officer for Diamond
Pet Foods, the company will continue working closely with state
officials and will not
hesitate to take action if testing warrants.

Customers should return any unused product to their retailers and
should consult their
veterinarian if pets show any signs of illness. Complete
information can be found at
www.diamondpet.com, or by calling the Diamond Pet Foods Customer
Information Center toll-free at 1-866-214-6945.

What products are being recalled? Recalled products can be
identified by the Date Code and "Best By" dates listed on the back
panel of the package. Recalled products will have a capital "G"
(in reference to Gaston) in the 11th or 12th position of the date
code (18 lb. to 55 lb. bags), and "Best By" dates between March
1, 2007 and June 10, 2007. The capital "G" will be in the 9th
position on smaller 4 lb. to 8 lb. bags.

Diamond's quantitative analysis records substantiate that
shipments were definitively clear of aflatoxin after December 10.
As such, "Best By 11-June-07" date codes
or later are not affected. Also, products with "Best By" dates
prior to 28-Feb-07 are safe.

Products manufactured at our Gaston S.C. facility included in the
recall:

Diamond Premium Adult Dog Food
Diamond Hi-Energy Dog Food
Diamond Maintenance Dog Food
Diamond Professional for Adult Dogs
Diamond Performance Dog Food
Diamond Puppy Food
Diamond Low Fat Dog Food
Diamond Maintenance Cat Food
Diamond Professional Cat Food
Country Value Puppy
Country Value Adult Dog Food
Country Value High Energy Dog Food
Country Value Adult Cat Food
Professional Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Food
Professional Puppy Food
Professional Large-Breed Puppy Food
Professional Reduced Fat Cat Food
Professional Adult Cat Food

--
Cheryl
Old January 10th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Sellner wrote:

Reposted from another group. It seems that the Costco Kirkland
store brand and the Chicken Soup lines may also be affected:

EEK! That (the Costco brand) is what I've been feeding my kitties!

If they've been eating it for a couple of weeks and had no symptoms,
is it safe to assume the whole bag is OK? Yikes!

Joyce
Old January 10th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Cheryl Sellner wrote:

Reposted from another group. It seems that the Costco Kirkland
store brand and the Chicken Soup lines may also be affected:

EEK! That (the Costco brand) is what I've been feeding my kitties!

If they've been eating it for a couple of weeks and had no symptoms,
is it safe to assume the whole bag is OK? Yikes!

Joyce

I think it's only assumably safe if it doesn't match the recall numbers
found on the package. However at this point in time I'd officially stop ALL
Diamond products until this is under control and take them in for a liver
screening for my own peace of mind.

Grace

Old January 10th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
Cheryl Sellner wrote:

Reposted from another group. It seems that the Costco Kirkland
store brand and the Chicken Soup lines may also be affected:

EEK! That (the Costco brand) is what I've been feeding my kitties!

If they've been eating it for a couple of weeks and had no symptoms,
is it safe to assume the whole bag is OK? Yikes!

Joyce

Joyce,
Can you call the manufacturer and check out the production code number for a
safe date/ not safe date? Take care of those precious kitties.
Charleen

Old January 11th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Mon 09 Jan 2006 10:41:50p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
):

Cheryl Sellner wrote:

Reposted from another group. It seems that the Costco
Kirkland store brand and the Chicken Soup lines may also be
affected:

EEK! That (the Costco brand) is what I've been feeding my
kitties!

If they've been eating it for a couple of weeks and had no
symptoms, is it safe to assume the whole bag is OK? Yikes!

According to the original article that detailed the states that
were shipped the tainted food, CA wasn't one of them. Though at
this point, I'd avoid any food made by Diamond until they have a
chance to straighten this all out. Since more food labels keep
getting added, I wonder whether it's more a case of hysteria, or
QA. Hard to tell at this point.

--
Cheryl