How do you pick out a cat

Old December 24th 03, 09:33 AM
mich

"Alan Sandoval" wrote in message

Rescue is the only way to go. Most 'pounds' will have a return policy if
the friend doesn't work out, though I'm sure it would be difficult to take
any cat back to a place where it may be put to death if it doesn't find a
home. I guess I'm lucky here. My local shelter has a strict no-kill
policy, easy for them, it's a pretty wealthy area. My nasty little cat
spent months in a cage there. I took her in because I needed her as much

as
she needed me. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder, waiting for the
next attack, I wouldn't give her up for anything.

I have taken three cats from rescue centres.
The first was a kitten . he was the only kitten they had at the time and I
wanted a kitten , so I took him.

The second time I went to the pens after being told they had a pair ( one
blind) who needed a home together. Several people were looking at the pair
( lovely cats btw) . However, whilst walking round I spotted what seemed
to be an empty cage. I asked if it was empty and the girl opened the box
and inside was beautiful ginger tom. She said he had been with them a long
time and didnt seem interested in people

I went back to the pair I had been looking at originally but they didnt
seem interested in me!
I passed by the ginger tom again and he came out to see me. I decided he
wanted me so I took him home. I lost at the end of last year after
fourteen years together.

In the spring this year I returned to the cats protection for another cat.
This time I have a four year old juvenille delinquent who despite
statements from the cats protection to the fact he was "well looked after"
and was being re homed because of housing problems of his owners, is
telling me himself that he has had a pretty rough time of it!

I took him unseen because they told me he needed a home because he wasnt
responding well to pens and was depressed.

I found out afterwards I was the third re home they had tried. Two others
hadnt worked out.
With any cat from a centre there will be problems, but I have yet to meet a
cat, including my present one who wont respond to a lot of love, a bed for
the night , a warm house and three regular square meals a day.

I have struggled with litter tray problems ( wouldnt use a tray, someone
seems to have taught him to use the bath!) We got over that.
He seemed to hate me and was always running away, scratching, biting, etc.

He then decided to try and move in next door..... they had a cat flap. I got
a cat flap and the chage in him was enormous!

He is now always at home.

He sleeps next to me and is always looking for a lap and is generally a
pudding.

Its been a struggle, but it is worth it.

Take a rescue cat and dont give up if they seem hard work for a few months.
They do show great affection and genuine friendship once they understand you
are forever theirs!
They need time to get to trust you, especially when they have been let down
by humans before you.

I still have a litter tray problem though. He wont use it - he prefers to go
outside now he has the key to the door!

Old December 24th 03, 05:37 PM
PawsForThought

"Alan Sandoval" wrote in message

Rescue is the only way to go.

I got my cats through a local rescue facility. They take in animals that have
been abused or need rescuing for some other reason. I can't imagine buying a
cat or getting one from a breeder when there are so many loving beautiful cats
in need of homes.

Lauren
________

Old December 24th 03, 10:11 PM
GovtLawyer

Subject: How do you pick out a cat

You can call your local veterinarians and ask them if they know of any kittens
available. Sometimes they are taking care of a healthy, not abandoned mother,
and the owners would be glad to give away the kitties. Or, of course adoption
is great; I got mine that way this time around.

Old December 24th 03, 11:47 PM
Kalyahna

"Bill" wrote in message
. com...
My two cats died this year and I am still pretty sad about that. Someone
suggested that in looking for a cat I should get a mature one - so I could
have some idea of personality - and that seemed like a good idea. I went

over
to the local PetSmart where they have some in cages up for adoption. I was
hoping one would pick me out, but no such luck. One sort of came over but

when
he realized that I was unable to pet him through the bars, he went away.
Another one tries to hide, and a sign on his cage said he is afraid. I

felt
sorry for him.

So how do you pick out a cat?

Thanks.

Bill

When I got my two girls, I was living at home and was told I couldn't get
anymore brown tabbies because my mom couldn't tell them apart anyway. I went
to our "local (still half an hour away and in the boonies)" humane society
and asked after a cat my sister had recommended (because she works at a vet
clinic where this particular HS has the spays/neuters done, so she knew some
of them), but was told point blank that that particular cat was a one-cat
household sort of cat. So I moved on, and found two orange tabby females
curled up together in a cage. I called my mom and begged and pleaded, and
she let me take both. So now I have mom (Pandora - who's had all of
conjunctivitis in the three years I've had her) and baby (Persephone - who
has idiopathic epilepsy), former barn cats who now help me with my
fostering.

Most of the cats in my life (all but one, actually) have found me... and the
rest of my family. All five of my sister's cats were abandoned or stray or
otherwise unwanted. Both of my mom's cats are former strays. My brother's
three cats are former strays.

And come the new year, I'm adopting my long-term foster cat... because she
treats me like her mom, and I don't have the heart to take her back, even to
an office instead of a cage. No one knows her like I do, and certainly no
one loves her like I do.

Just remember, if you visit a shelter, that the staff would rather you meet
a number of different cats and find the perfect one for you than choose
randomly and find later that you're incompatible. If you don't find the
right one on the first day, keep checking back. New cats are made available
for adoption every day... but other posters are right. When you meet the
right cat (or bonded pair of cats), you'll know.

Old December 25th 03, 12:02 AM
Cheryl

Kalyahna wrote in on 24 Dec 2003:

Most of the cats in my life (all but one, actually) have found me...
and the rest of my family. All five of my sister's cats were abandoned
or stray or otherwise unwanted. Both of my mom's cats are former
strays. My brother's three cats are former strays.

Same here. Marley was my first cat of my own and he was my sister's cat
(one of many) and she couldn't deal with him pinning her others by the ears
anymore. He was a rough houser. She was seriously considering "taking him
to the pound" and I was living in a no-pet apt at the time and bargained
with my landlady. He repaid her by keeping their little farm area free of
mice and rats (indoor-outdoor cat). I had a second (sister again.. had to
let her cat have kittens. grr) who looked just like Marley (gray tabby)
but they just didn't get along so a girl who took 3 of the other
littermates took Tikki from me too. This was when I decided I liked adult
cats better. Shadow was put out by his family when he escaped from their
apt and got fleas. I kept putting him back up on their balcony (one floor
up) but they kept putting him back out and it was getting cold at night so
he started out inside my apt at night (after a flea bath; no advantage
back then), back out during the day. Then it was just plain cold so he
made himself at home fulltime. Marley just had to deal with it. lol That
woman who put him out used to be my friend. I let her kids come visit but
their mom wasn't welcome any more. Shamrock was my 4th foster cat after
Marley went to the RB and he was just too pathetic for anyone to want to
adopt (with his bad skin, and being a biter). I love him to bits. Bonnie
was a scrawny feral who got beat up by the other larger male strays at the
feeding station. Busy road, little cat. No brainer. She had a home here.
Thing is... I adore BIG cats. I would love to one day have a Maine Coon
but as long as these guys keep finding me, I won't be out looking for them.

--
Cheryl

Old December 25th 03, 12:10 AM
Caliban

I picked out my latest cat by matching his fur color to my carpet.

I also wanted a short-haired kitten. I didn't want to pay money outside of
vaccinations and spaying/neutering.

I will say that when I was trying to choose from a litter of three kittens and
"tested" one out, removing him from the cage with the owner's approval, this
kitten scampered away from me. Yet today, six years later, he often follows me
around inside (and formerly, outside), likes to sit on my lap, and curls up next
to me at night. I don't know if a first "affinity" test counts for more than
any other horoscopical type sign.

Next time, I will go for a young adult, as I think their chances are not as
good. If I find one that has been abused and is recovering, I think I would
particularly welcome him/her.

I found my very first cat while driving. He'd been hit badly and was on the side
of the road, lifting his head up helplessly. After a moment I turned the car
around to investigate... with the help of a security guard from across the
street we got the hurt cat into a box and drove him to the vet (who with his
staff was so wonderful). Miraculously over a few weeks he healed. He lost the
use of one of his front paws from the accident but was a terrific, funny, loving
fellow for years.

Updates are welcome. :-)

"Bill" wrote