Goodbye

Old February 5th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Goodbye

Christina Websell wrote:

If an individual is not popular in their peer group, whether at school or in
the workplace, their behaviour is always judged more harshly.
I don't like it either, Joyce.
I like your deep thinking. I think you missed your vocation, you might have
been a great social worker.

Thanks, Tweed! That's a really nice thing to say. I might be a bit
too flaky for social work, though - my moods are too erratic. I think
I'm safer around computers.

Joyce

--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel
Old February 5th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 4:33 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Jack Campin" wrote in message

Dave, I can sort of understand how it can be construed that way, but I
don't think Gandalf was intending at all to disparage your wife.

We've no idea what he meant since he never came back to explain how
he came to go off at such an outrageously bizarre tangent. It was
grossly insulting, and it was quite unbelievable that anybody here
wanted to excuse it in any way.

He still owes David and his wife a sincere, unqualified and public
apology. And if what he did was the result of psychopathology, he
needs to get it treated rather than inflict his diseased behaviour
on others.

I never saw these posts and went back to see what the fuss was about. It
might help if Gandalf does not use CAPITALS which is construed as
shouting.
To be honest, if Boyfie sunk his teeth into my leg more than once, he'd be
surprised at the dreadful happening that occurred as a result.
Tweed

I think you have to refer back the way RPCA was years ago to fully
appreciate
(and understand) that David's post was intended as a humorous
anecdote. There
were many, many times that the Daves embellished stories for the sake
of
an entertaining story. I don't think Gandalf was around back then. So,
instead of
a quick chuckle, this story brought on a ridiculous debate and over-
analzying of
the post where people chose to preach at David (who's probably had
cats all his life) in
a snotty and condescending fashion.
II agree with you that posting in capitals doesn't quite place the
same emphasis on
words you *want* to emphasize in the same way that ** does. It sounds
(to me)
like you're ranting at people from some soapbox. Sounds odd that
simple words
can leave a nasty impression simply because they're capitalized, but
it does to me, too.
---
There is such a difference, also, between kicking a cat and pushing it away
with your foot.
If Boyfie bit my leg (which he would not dream of) I would definitely give
him the firm kind foot under his backside into the outside to consider his
position.

Tweed

Old February 6th 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

If an individual is not popular in their peer group, whether at school
or in
the workplace, their behaviour is always judged more harshly.
I don't like it either, Joyce.
I like your deep thinking. I think you missed your vocation, you might
have
been a great social worker.

Thanks, Tweed! That's a really nice thing to say. I might be a bit
too flaky for social work, though - my moods are too erratic. I think
I'm safer around computers.
--

Pity. You show all the empathy and deep thinking that is needed.
I think you are a loss to social work.

Old February 6th 11, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

Pity. You show all the empathy and deep thinking that is needed.
I think you are a loss to social work.

What I really should be doing is working with cats. I know I'd be
awesome at that. And even if I wasn't, I'd still love it. There are
a couple of place right near my work where I could do this.

One is a walking path along SF Bay that runs right by the back of
the building I work in. I've been taking walks out there at lunchtime.
There are a few colonies of feral cats that are being managed by an
organization called "Bay Cat Project". These cats have been TRN'ed
and are living out their lives on the rocks that form a levee against
the bay. I see them snoozing on the rocks as I walk by, and I just
can't resist talking to them, telling them how pretty they are. They
always give me a glare for my trouble, getting ready to bolt if I
try to come any nearer.

So anyway, I'm thinking about volunteering to feed the cats once a
week. I mean as part of the organization, on a schedule. I've noticed
that the cats allow the feeders to go right up to them and even pet
them. Many of these cats were once pets, but got dumped there by
their "humans" - often fertile and ready to start reproducing.

The other is an animal shelter that's not too far from my work. I
could do cat TLC - I've done that before at that same shelter, so
I would know what to do. The volunteer job consists of letting the
cats out of their cages to run around in one of the visiting rooms,
to play with them and/or cuddle them if they want that. It's a
tough job, but...

Now, if only I could get my act together to just start doing one
of these!

Joyce

--
What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old February 6th 11, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Old saying: "Mountains viewed from a distance seem to be
insurmountable. But they can be climbed. The way to do it is to take
the first step...."
Best wishes. MLB

Old February 7th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stef[_2_]

In article ,
hopitus wrote:
On Feb 4, 8:45*pm, (Stef) wrote:
In article ,
This is how cultural change happens. This is why certain prejudicial
behaviors and beliefs are less common now than it was 100 years ago. (We
still have a long way to go, though.)

You need to talk to those Egyptians I see on tv every night; haven't
seen anything like that since the Miami riots of '80. They're trying
to change something, all right.....as a group. I don't think it's
"cultural" though. And I don't think that fellow they object to thinks
it;s "fair".

Military police clashing with protesters in the street? I agree with you
that it's not just cultural. Cultural change will come from
international reactions to the events.

The guy that the protestors object to is a military dictator, and he
probably has an idea of "fair" that's pretty different from yours and
mine.
--
Stef ** **
** cat-and-dragon.com/stef ** firecat.dreamwidth.org**
Old February 8th 11, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stef[_2_]

In article ,
Jack Campin wrote:
[Mubarak]
The guy that the protestors object to is a military dictator, and he
probably has an idea of "fair" that's pretty different from yours and
mine.

Democratically elected plutocratic oligarch, actually. Which puts
him in the same bag as most US presidents, except his take per head
of population has been a bit bigger.

It was an election in name only. Which might put him in the same bag as
some US presidents.
--
Stef ** **
** cat-and-dragon.com/stef ** firecat.dreamwidth.org**
**
We will not play Herd of Thundering Wildebeests Stampeding Across the
Plains of the Serengeti over our humans' bed while they're trying to
sleep.
-- Cat Resolutions