OT - The dangers of cooking

Old July 19th 05, 03:53 AM
Debra

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:57:08 GMT, "Brick"
wrote:

In a time related emergency, you can cool the cooker down
quickly under the kitchen faucet, but every manufacturer warns against
doing that. I don't know why.

Explosive decompression. Usually the food and liquid in the pot ends
up on the person who cut the faucet on along with the ceiling and
everything else in the kitchen. Result---One really messy kitchen and
at least one human with third degree burns on face, arms, hands, etc.
Your mom was a very lucky woman if it didn't happen to her. The older
style of pressure cookers did it a lot more often than the modern
ones. I'm not willing to risk my skin and eye sight doing something
that only takes a few minutes longer to do safely.
Debra in VA
Old July 19th 05, 05:20 AM
Bock

Mary wrote:

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote:
MaryL wrote:
Years ago, my neighbor was very badly injured when her pressure cooker
exploded. They are *supposed* to be safe, but I simply don't *feel*

safe
around them and will not use one.

Modern pressure cookers have a special valve that will break off if the
pressure gets too high, thus preventing an explosion (but probably
covering your entire kitchen and any hoomins in it in whatever you were
cooking, at a very, very high temperature).

No, it's mostly the ceiling directly above the stove and the wall behind
it that gets coated with, to take an example at random, soup.

My grandmother used one for years, to the occasional grumbling of my
grandfather, a mechanic who knew a good bit about pressure and steam. She
never had an accident, and swore by hers as a great method for cooking
vegetables quickly. My granparents and I had different views on what
constitutes a well-cooked vegetable. I thought, barely softened with
crunch left, they thought, so soft you can practically puree it with a
fork.

I still have mine, which I used to use a lot, but haven't used in years.
That's less for reasons having to do with soup on the ceiling and more to
do with an increased dependence on the microwave.

Hmm. My mother used a pressure cooker. I am not sure I understand
what the advantages are.

Well, for some beans using a pressure cooker is great if you don't have
lots of time to cook them. Some things should not be cooked in a
pressure cooker because they plug the steam valve. I like to pressure
cook my potatoes for mashing as boiling them seems to make them too
watery or wet. I think it is me and not the potatoes but that is how my
brain sees it.

A crock pot is nice to do dried beans in but my favourite, if possible,
is just a pot on the stove simmering.

In the olds days lots of vegetables were raw and home cooked as opposed
to today where they are bought canned, like beets.
Old July 19th 05, 03:07 PM
Shaun aRe

"Mary" wrote in message

So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers?

I believe that would be the whole concept.

And are they
safe to use around cats?

Providing the whole unit is wrapped entirely around said feline - very
safe - they can't get their claws through the metal.

Shaun aRe

Old July 19th 05, 04:01 PM
Philip

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
enews.net...

"Mary" wrote in message

So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers?

I believe that would be the whole concept.

And are they
safe to use around cats?

Providing the whole unit is wrapped entirely around said feline - very
safe - they can't get their claws through the metal.

Shaun aRe

Hahhahahhaa

Notice Mary isn't concerned about CHILDREN, rather her cats.

Old July 19th 05, 04:01 PM
Philip

wrote:

In a time related emergency, you can cool the cooker down
quickly under the kitchen faucet, but every manufacturer warns against
doing that. I don't know why.

Explosive decompression. Usually the food and liquid in the pot ends
up on the person who cut the faucet on along with the ceiling and
everything else in the kitchen. Result---One really messy kitchen and
at least one human with third degree burns on face, arms, hands, etc.
Your mom was a very lucky woman if it didn't happen to her. The older
style of pressure cookers did it a lot more often than the modern
ones. I'm not willing to risk my skin and eye sight doing something
that only takes a few minutes longer to do safely.
Debra in VA

Debra. There are two distinctly different kinds of pressure cookers. The
professional ones have an lid that interlocks with the pot just like a
changeable camera lens ... 1/8th turn bayonet. The 'budget' cookers us a
pair of clamps with eccentrics, the lid does not interlock with the pot.
The professional pots do not explode their lids. You get what you pay for.

Old July 19th 05, 04:24 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:01:28 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

My mom's pressure cooker (I don't have one) is of the "professional
variety" as described above. She's had it for about 50 years. Not only
does it have the interlock (which also has a rubber gasket), but
there's a "rocker" and a "relief valve" on the lid too. The rocker
sits on this thing that looks like a small post with a hole in the
middle, and rocks back and forth as steam comes out during cooking.
The relief valve is a rubber piece in the lid that pops up and
releases steam if the pressure inside gets too high.

When whatever Mom was cooking in this was finished, she'd take it off
the burner and let it sit for a few minutes. When she was ready to
open it she'd take it to the sink and run water over it. Then she'd
open it up.

No explosions, no accidents, no burns or scaldings with that ancient
cook pot!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old July 19th 05, 04:57 PM
Shaun aRe

"Philip" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Shaun aRe" wrote in message
enews.net...

"Mary" wrote in message

So, what is it that I am missing about pressure cookers?

I believe that would be the whole concept.

And are they
safe to use around cats?

Providing the whole unit is wrapped entirely around said feline - very
safe - they can't get their claws through the metal.

Shaun aRe

Hahhahahhaa

I am happy I made someone chuckle ',;~}~

Notice Mary isn't concerned about CHILDREN, rather her cats.

Maybe she cannot fit her children in the pressure cooker?

Shaun aRe - It all just looks like trolling to me!
--
Sometimes, the true and living thought bubbling rapidly up from the
depths of the mind, surfaces with a severe case of the Bends.

Old July 19th 05, 06:27 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:01:28 GMT, "Philip"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

My pressure canner has no rubber gasket, and I can't remember any
laboratory autoclaves that did. The gasket is just one more thing to go
wrong; I'm about to toss my pressure cooker (i.e., not canner) due to
gasket problems.

Cooking for Cats -L. Cat anecdotes 16 April 23rd 05 04:30 PM
possible dangers of scratching cat on tailbone CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 3 February 25th 05 04:19 PM
Cooking With Mommy CatNipped Cat anecdotes 63 October 27th 04 12:44 AM
food dangers Sherry Cat anecdotes 108 March 30th 04 09:54 PM
Dangers in the grass Ed Cat health & behaviour 8 November 25th 03 09:48 PM