KFC

Old June 27th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default KFC

Adrian wrote:

Christina has _never_ said she dislikes America or things American, your
reading into things which just aren't there. As for SubQ fluids it's been
stated several times in this thread, and previously, that it is not legal
for an owner to administer them in Britain.

Thanks for clearing that up, Adrian. I was also confused, and I thought
maybe Tweed was referring to IV fluids, not sub-q, which is why I suggested
she look into sub-q's.

One reason I made a point of saying "we can do this in the US" is because,
well, to be honest, I find it almost unbelievable that you can't in the
UK. So when I said it, it wasn't to rub her nose in what we can do that
she can't. It was more like saying, "we can do it here, are you *sure* it's
not an option there?" I realize this can sound condescending, as though
someone who lives there wouldn't know what's legal and what isn't! But I
thought maybe there was the possibility of error, especially since *many*
people, on both sides of the pond as well as elsewhere, confuse IV with sub-q.

Do you know why it's illegal? I'm really curious.

Agreed about Tweed's supposed "anti-American" attitude. I've never
gotten that impression from her, either.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 28th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

A tiny little elderly lady cat trying to enjoy one last summer is
hardly the basis for international politics.

A teary LOL... I couldn't have said this better. (Certainly not as
succintly.)

Continuing purrs for KFC!

Old June 28th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

On Fri 27 Jun 2008 06:18:37p, Christina Websell wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes :

I probably should not have included that comment in this
thread. However, it was based on some previous threads and not
just this one.

I am tactless and I know it. I try to keep it in check, but
often I just can't. However, we are not talking about how
tactful I am. We are talking about KFC's struggle for life
here. Not what you think I feel about America, which you have
guessed at and have really no idea about, Mary.

I'm just a lurker here but MaryL is a friend of mine who would
never disrespect anyone intentionally at all. I will not defend
anyone nor try to explain what I think someone may have been
thinking, but Mary doesn't deserve anyone jumping on her for a mere
observance that may or may not be how you or anyone intends to come
across in a text only situation.

I love MaryL like I love my mother. I also feel for you and anyone
going through what you're going through with Miss KFC. I sincerely
pray and have my team send purrs for all of your well being
whatever the outcome is.

--
Cheryl

Old June 28th 08, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
Adrian wrote:

[...]

Onle a vet is allowed to give them, as I said elsewhere the law can seem a
bit daft sometimes, eg. A top class surgeon would not be allowed to operate
on an animal but a vet could quite legally operate on a human, even a baby
with the parents consent.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old June 28th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jun 27, 11:58*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
*The vet I saw is a very ethical man. *I
would not have used these vets for so many years if it were not so. *If he
says it is pointless to spend half of my meagre salary trying to keep an
ancient cat with CRF alive for a few weeks by having yet more tests, more
fluids, then I believe him, even though I didn't want to hear it.

Ditto my vet. What would certain people here make of me when Fugazi
had cancer? She wasn't suffering...yet, the vet told me I could even
take her home for a last night to say farewells. I said to her that
money was not an object if it gave her even a 50-50 chance of some
more time as long as it was with a reasonable quality of life and she
told me straight the facts that to be 100% sure it was cancer (she was
95% sure it was) then she'd need to X-ray Fugazi which would involve a
general anaesthetic she wasn't sure Fugazi would survive, then
extensive and expensive tests most of which would be at best
uncomfortable at worse painful and in the end, she was sure we weren't
talking anything like a 50-50 chance. I sent Fugazi over the Bridge
there and then- she hadn't enjoyed the trip to the vet and to take her
home for one ;last night I felt would be cruel on her (because she
would have to go back the next morning), Dave (because he would think
when I came back with her that she was going to be okay and then I
would have to tell him) and me (I was resisting the urge to snatch her
up and run away from all this and I was honestly not sure that I would
be able to bring her back the next day knowing what had to be done)

And she was only 12- I have done enough agonising over the years about
whether maybe I should have gone the way of loads of tests on the off
chance but in the end I decided I was right to do what I did and I
respect my vet for being honest with me

He could, of course, if he was not such an ethical man, have agreed to treat
her to the nth degree. *Taken loads of money from me to line his pocket,

As I've said before i have seen that happen due to an unethical vet in
collusion with a slave who couldn't bear to let go- now none of us
want to let go but the emotional manipulation this vet applied was
beyond the pale it was all "I know you don't want to feel you've given
up on him and there's one last thing we can try" and "Well this new
treatment might help...you do want the best for him don't you?"

That cat lived if you can call it living a rotten existence for the
last 3 years of his life and cost a good few thousand pounds

The point I suppose if Tweed is there for KFC and she will do what is
best as she sees it (and she'll be right) and she doesn't need people
suggesting she spend loads of money (she has other animals she is
responsible for) to submit an elderly cat to extensive and possibly
invasive tests and she doesn't need someone criticising a vet she
trusts (as I trust mine- when Fugazi's sister Isis was 16 and starting
to show her age my vet advised against bringing her in because she had
always been traumatised by leaving the house even with sedation unless
there was a specific symptom causing her distress or pain she said
just to keep an eye on her and give her loads of TLC- she could have
had me haul the poor cat in for tests etc but as it was we managed
Isis main symptom i.e. she was getting old and she crossed the Bridge
in her sleep at home and peacefully) she has if I recall had the same
vet (or used the same practice) for years and it seems to me this vet
is talking a lot of sense

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 29th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

else's.)

That said, may I ask one final question (with suggestion)? That is, do you
have Pedialite readily available in Britain? If so, do you think you
could get KFC to take a little of that? I realize that you indicated that
it is very difficult to medicate KFC, but Pedialite can be very helpful
for electrolyte imbalance. It is sometimes administered by using a
syringe (no needle, of course) and squirting it into the corner of the
cat's mouth.

I have made up a rehydration fluid for her. I once read about about it, I
can't remember where but ISTM it was used for African babies who were
terribly dehydrated through diarrhoea. I wrote it down in "my book of
useful things" not expecting to use that knowledge.
Here it is:
2 tablespoons sugar
quarter teaspoon salt
quarter teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
in a litre of boiled water

I put it in her water bowl, but I also put another bowl of ordinary water by
the side of it, in case she wouldn't drink it.
She has chosen to drink the rehydration fluid against the plain water. I'm
glad about that as trying to squirt it into her mouth through a syringe
would be well nigh impossible. Even my vet agrees that she is "difficult to
medicate" Read "not in your wildest dreams unless you have a team of 4"
She continues to improve. I've bought another chicken for her, if that's
what she wants to eat she can have it.

Tweed

Old June 29th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

[...]

That's pretty much the formula for pedialite, from what I understand. Purrs
for a grand old dame and her loving human. I think you're pretty grand
yourself.

Pam S. asking the owners to purr for a good solid poo from KFC

Old June 29th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
Pam S. asking the owners to purr for a good solid poo from KFC

she just did one, unfortunately not in her litterbox, but it's semi-solid !!
I will scrub the carpet in the morning, it's 3 a.m and past time for bed.

Old June 29th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
m...
Pam S. asking the owners to purr for a good solid poo from KFC

she just did one, unfortunately not in her litterbox, but it's semi-solid
!! I will scrub the carpet in the morning, it's 3 a.m and past time for
bed.

Well, that's more progress, even if a bit unpleasant. Purrs for the next
one to be solid and in the litterbox.

Joy

Old June 29th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

[...]

That's excellent. Most cats will not take Pedialiyte without a little
"help" (such as what I described), so it is very good news to hear that KFC
is drinking your rehydration fluid on her own.

MaryL