6 channels [OT]

Old November 19th 04, 07:25 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:27:20 -0600, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

Yeah, I do. I don't watch Miami. It just isn't interesting but I watch the
other two. Vegas is still my favorite. It just seems the fullest. Some eps
are more graphic than others. Tonight was pretty bad, but it was really an
interesting episode. All about transgender. The most intersting part was the
end, when Gil is telling a friend of the murdered victim what happened and
she asks him what she can tell the parents (who were not on good terms with
the victim due to the changing of genders) and he replied, tell them about
the oysters. Apparently there is a species of oyster that has certain
members that can change gender at will (I think I've heard of other
creatures that can do this too, maybe insects?) and perhaps, humans were
meant to be able to do that too, but the ability mutated out, and our single
gender propensity could be a mutation. Sounds clumsy here, but in the
context of the show, I thought it really had impact and a lot of food for
thought. Of course, I'm in love with William Petersen, so that helps

That was a very, very moving ending, and you described it very well,
Karen :-)

Ginger-lyn

Old November 19th 04, 07:29 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:44:20 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
wrote:

Here in the UK we have five channels of TV ["terrestrial channels"]
coming through our aerials, two of which are funded by licence fees not
advertising. Naturally they compete a lot. Cable and satellite provide
lot more of course, and Sky our main satellite provider looks on Sky One
as its best channel.

Tonight for ten minutes we had a unique experience: all five
terrestrial channels plus Sky One were identical, playing a new video!

Band Aid 20: a great attempt to reduce poverty in Africa, and I really
appreciate the warring TV channels coming together to promote it.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

That is very cool. I'm sorry the US apparently isn't bothering to do
anything anymore like this. I remember the first Live Aid (I think
this is a similar thing yes?), way back in the '80s. I think at least
part of it was broadcast on network TV, and maybe on more than one
channel, but I can't remember for sure. I do remember in the wedding
invitations for my first marriage, we asked people to donate to Live
Aid.

Ginger-lyn

Old November 19th 04, 08:33 PM
Karen

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Sounds clumsy here, but in the
context of the show, I thought it really had impact and a lot of food for
thought. Of course, I'm in love with William Petersen, so that helps

According to my teenage son, Grisom is a grumpy geek, but Horatio is

*seriously
kewl*

Cheers, helen s ;-)

Well, I can see that from a teenage point of view

Old November 19th 04, 09:14 PM
Jeanette

Jo Firey wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message

I think the premise is fascinating, I just can't handle those sudden
flashes to
discolored gaping wounds and instruments digging around in dead flesh.

I had a sudden dislocation of reality then, I thought you guys were still
talking about the Band Aid video, and thought about guitars when you said
'instruments'.

Jeanette

Old November 19th 04, 09:44 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
eener (SUQKRT) wrote:

In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article
, Sherry at
wrote on 11/18/04 11:53 PM:

Wow. That's pretty unusual (or would be here in the US). The only
thing

that
gets played simultaneously is CSI.

Do you watch CSI? I used to. I've found I can't watch it any more.
It's

become
so graphic it makes me physically sick. The only other TV show that
makes

me
sick is that one with the 2 ladies who go in and clean houses. Grosss.

I had
turn that one off too.

Sherry

[...]

I'm a big CSI(Las Vegas) fan yes its gross, but between the science and
the
charactors its fascinating tv.

I'm a little amused with NBC's attempted response to CSI, "Medical
Investigation". My girlfriend the psychologist (cognitive, not clinical)
advised me to stop watching it after two shows...she felt that I was
getting so annoyed over the fantastic variety and scope of errors that
it wouldn't be good for my blood pressure!

I will have to credit the great scientific line by the trainee in one
episode "Look! I found green glop!", followed by a junior physician
giving his sage observations on green glop.

In fairness, the clinical presentations of the diseases are internally
consistent, but the blundering and ignorance of the team epidemiologists
is surpassed only by the incompetence of the local physicians. In the
last one I saw, it was obvious, in about 2 or 3 minutes, that they had a
bunch of children suffering from an autoimmune disorder with at least
skin manifestations. Corticosteroids would have baen utterly basic, but
the local doctor explained her treatment as "warm soaks and pain
medicine." For some obscure reason, in the middle of rampant idiocy,
one team member wandered in, cited detailed and relevant information
from nerve conduction studies, and then wandered off again.

The really sad thing is that this could have been a superb series if
they had actually based it on the real Epidemiological Intelligence
Service, the "medical detectives" out of the Centers for Disease Control
in Atlanta. They couldn't even get this right - they had the team as
part of NIH in the Washington area.

Old November 19th 04, 09:44 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
eener (SUQKRT) wrote:

In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article
, Sherry at

Old November 20th 04, 12:16 AM
Yowie

"SUQKRT" wrote in message

In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Sherry at
wrote on 11/18/04 11:53 PM:

[...]

See, thats where I had to stop watching. The science is horrid! Sometimes
its very accurate, and sometimes its just crappy dramatics to get round an
otherwise awkward bit of the plot. If it were always crappy science, I could
turn the brain off and just watch, but when there is really good and really
bad thrown in together, it drives me nuts. Not every test for everythign
starts off with a clear colution or q-tip and when postive comes up a nice
magenta -t here are *lots* of other sorts of spot tests for things. Thats
simply phenolpthalein and that goes from clear to magenta at a pH of about
9, ie, when it hits something alkaline like a solution of cooking soda. The
other test they commonly use is something that turns blue when positive -
thats simply anhydrous copper sulphate that is clear or white when dry, but
turns a distinctive blue when wet.

See, thats the sort of stuff that drives me bonkers. If it was real forensic
science, I'd watch in rapt fascination. If it was just a drama with hokey
science, I'd watch because its a good drama, but with a mix of hokey science
and really genuine science, and I can't cope anymore.

Yowie
PS, sorry to destroy the illusion, folks.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).