Boyfie is sulking big time

Old December 6th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Boyfie is sulking big time

"Mishi" wrote in message
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:31:41 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell
wrote:
I got a laptop on Thursday. I needed a better computer than my old
desktop
running on XP as it just couldn't cope with Facebook rpca or Youtube, as
it
is unsupported by Microsoft and doesn't update Java.
He is "well" annoyed because his default position is on my lap - every
time
I sit down he insists on being on my lap and going to sleep. He
meatloafed
on the carpet tonight, looking at me, impressing on me that it is far
more
important to have me on your knee than your new computer. I ignored him
so
he went out into Storm Desmond claiming he would never come home again.
He will be home in 10 minutes, it's more than windy. He has a chair of
his
own with a nice bed on very near to me and he'll have to learn to use it.
am far too soft with this cat.

Tweed

There should be a monitor out port on the back of the laptop, and usb
ports that you can plug in your keyboard and mouse - that way, you can
still use it as a base. Just plug everything in, turn on the computer and
let it boot up, then close the cover.

I'm confused sbout what you want me to do and why. Still using old computer
here

Old December 6th 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

I got a laptop on Thursday. I needed a better computer than my old desktop
running on XP as it just couldn't cope with Facebook rpca or Youtube, as it
is unsupported by Microsoft and doesn't update Java.
He is "well" annoyed because his default position is on my lap - every time
I sit down he insists on being on my lap and going to sleep. He meatloafed
on the carpet tonight, looking at me, impressing on me that it is far more
important to have me on your knee than your new computer. I ignored him so
he went out into Storm Desmond claiming he would never come home again.
He will be home in 10 minutes, it's more than windy. He has a chair of his
own with a nice bed on very near to me and he'll have to learn to use it. I
am far too soft with this cat.

Tweed

I have a small padded bench beside the chair where I sit in front of the
computer. I got it for Holly(RB), and now Duffy and Selina take turns
using it. One of them is on it almost every time I "compute." Nikki
(like Boyfie) thinks my lap should be reserved for him. He claims my
lap every time I sit down at the computer, but that makes it very
difficult to get any work done. I have a cat tree with 3 poles, 3 beds
and a tunnel in this room. It's only a few feet away from me, and
sometimes I will find all 3 cats on it.

MaryL

Old December 6th 15, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

Tina, you can use your laptop as a base, plug your mouse, monitor and
keyboard into it and close the cover. It will make him happy!

I have my laptop sitting on a small desk. I use the laptop monitor but
have a separate keyboard and mouse. I simply cannot type comfortably on a
laptop keyboard. I dislike the touchpad "mouse" on the laptop, too. I sit
in a chair at my desk and Buffy gets in my lap.

She still gets annoyed because I'm typing. And for some reason my
watching youtube videos bugs her, even if they aren't cat videos. Oh
well! If I have to get up I say "Momma up!" and give her a pat and she
jumps down. It's rarely necessary tilt her off my lap.

Of course you can't do that if the laptop is physically sitting on your
lap. I've been using laptops for years but I've never actually used one
as a LAPtop computer.

I'm pretty soft with her, too, but hey she's got tons of toys. She loves
her golf ball. She also has a plush hedgehog toy and also a squirrel toy
filled with catnip. (She bunny-kicks the heck out of those sometimes.)
She's got crinkly mylar balls. There are plenty of other things she can
be doing. She, like Boyfie, just wants to be right there.

Jill

Boyfie is more than annoyed about the Laptop because it sits right where he
wants to be. He flounced out but he came in after 10 minutes because of
bignasty Desmond storm. Fourth named storm in a month, never had repeated
storms like this. River is well up during our Saturday walk and 50 mph plus
winds that nearly blowed us over when out with Lennie. His ears kept
blowing back but he was brave about it. Unlike ourselves. We intended to
go 4 miles but we only did 2- 1/2. Glad to get back, tbh.

Old December 6th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

What do you mean? He is very suspicous of it even if even i close the cover
and prop it up against a chair..he hears it humming and can see himself
reflected in the shiny lid. Boyfie says no to the laptop. I say yes.
It will actually be a relief to not have him jumping on my knee the minute I
sit down as he intends to sleep there all day if he can, and I'm too polite
to say no.
So he has a real grump on.
Btw, he came back in within 5 minutes. It's horrribly windy so he decided
not leave home but he wants it noted that he "nearly" left home about the
laptop.

Tweed

I have both a laptop and a desktop. Both are several years old and go
back to the years when I was working. Nikki claims my lap when I use
the desktop, and all 3 cats immediately jump onto the table if I use the
laptop (I set the laptop on the table and use a mouse with it). I'm
thinking of getting a tablet now and wonder which size would be most
functional for me.

MaryL

Old December 6th 15, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
wrote:
[...]

But the monitor is a very important part of the computer. How can she
use the keyboard and mouse if she can't see what she is doing on the
screen?

I think Mishi is suggesting separate components connected to the laptop
but she mentions the monitor. I don't know why. There's no need for a
separate monitor since one is built in.

I *do* use a separate keyboard and mouse. That's just my personal
preference. Laptop keyboards feel way too cramped for me to easily type.
I dislike the touchpad mouse.

As I read it, Tweed is actually sitting with the laptop on her lap. That's
Boyfie's space! In order for Mishi's suggestion to work, as I see it,
Tweed would need to set the laptop on a small desk or a table and have a
chair for herself. The extra peripherals not required. She could type
and Boyfie could sit in her lap and see how they got in with her being
lap-free.

Jill

The problem is that the desk I have is occupied by my desktop computer and I
don't have room for another desk. I sit in my armchair to use the laptop,
with it on my knee. Which is what Boyfie is objecting to - "you sit in the
armchair, I sit on your lap" Even if I put a stool in front of me to put
the laptop on, I would have to lean forward to use it and Boyfie doesn't
like to be leaned on. He'll just have to get used to idea.
It's my own fault in a way. Because he was a lost boy and so timid, I've
given in to his every whim. I was delighted the first time he jumped into
my lap (that took years) so now he's a gentle tyrant. He expects to get his
own way all the time and has a very subtle way of showing his displeasure if
he doesn't get it. He knows how to make me feel guilty.

Well, unfortunately, he will have to live with the idea that sometimes the
lap is not going to be occupied by him. I doubt he will move away in a huff
about it - he's too much of fraidy-cat to go anywhere else. He knows where
his bread is buttered, so to speak. I don't want to seem that I'm making
myself up to be the perfect cat mom, but this is the perfect home for him.
Very quiet.

Tweed

Old December 7th 15, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

Boyfie never tries to get on my my lap when I'm using the desktop, it's the
armchair that is p=ss=ng him off, because if I am settling down in the
armchair, the only thing that should be on my knee is him in his opinion.
We came to a compromise. I promised not to look at rpca FB only once a day
with my new laptop and not have it on my knee all the time. He promises to
not moan if he can't get on my knee the minute he wants to.

Old December 7th 15, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

I got a laptop on Thursday. I needed a better computer than my old desktop
running on XP as it just couldn't cope with Facebook rpca or Youtube, as it
is unsupported by Microsoft and doesn't update Java.
He is "well" annoyed because his default position is on my lap - every time
I sit down he insists on being on my lap and going to sleep. He meatloafed
on the carpet tonight, looking at me, impressing on me that it is far more
important to have me on your knee than your new computer. I ignored him so
he went out into Storm Desmond claiming he would never come home again.
He will be home in 10 minutes, it's more than windy. He has a chair of his
own with a nice bed on very near to me and he'll have to learn to use it. I
am far too soft with this cat.

I have never in my life been able to use a laptop on my literal lap. They
are designed for tall people with long legs, whose thighs are perfectly
horizontal when they are sitting in a chair. In most chairs, my feet don't
even touch the floor and my legs are at an angle (pointing downward). I can
barely keep a laptop on my lap, much less use it!

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker
Old December 7th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Mishi wrote:

[...]

Hijacking the thread for a moment. My laptop setup at home is just as you
describe - I use my laptop as though it was a desktop PC, and plug in the
monitor, keyboard and mouse. However, if I close the cover, it shuts the
laptop down. This was true of my previous laptop as well. I thought they were
all like that. Closing the cover is perceived as a shutdown command.

Old December 7th 15, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Roxy gets on my desk, between me and the keyboard, and curls up in my arms.
No conflict with the computer! (Except that she can be very restless at
times and will get up and start moving around non-stop. This wouldn't be a
problem if she didn't block my view of the monitor every time she stood up.)

Old December 7th 15, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:
[...]

Maybe not a *need*, but I would much prefer to use a big monitor. It doesn't
have to be huge, but it's bigger than the laptop's monitor. Especially if
I'm using a separate keyboard. Then I have to set the laptop back to make
room for my keyboard, and with a small monitor like that, it's hard to see
what's on it.

I *do* use a separate keyboard and mouse. That's just my personal
preference. Laptop keyboards feel way too cramped for me to easily
type. I dislike the touchpad mouse.

Ditto!

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker

Persia is still sulking (partly OT) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 10 February 12th 10 06:26 PM
Sulking badwilson Cat anecdotes 10 June 7th 06 12:57 PM
Silver's sulking Karen AKA KajiKit Cat anecdotes 0 November 27th 04 02:07 AM
Harvey Sulking Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 8 April 10th 04 04:09 PM
Harvey sulking Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 3 November 28th 03 10:43 PM