Boyfie is sulking big time

Old December 7th 15, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Boyfie is sulking big time

On 12/7/2015 2:44 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

On 12/5/2015 6:49 PM, Joy wrote:
On 12/5/2015 2:47 PM, Mishi wrote:
On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:31:41 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell
wrote:
I got a laptop on Thursday. I needed a better computer than my old
desktop
running on XP as it just couldn't cope with Facebook rpca or Youtube,
as it
is unsupported by Microsoft and doesn't update Java.
He is "well" annoyed because his default position is on my lap -
every time
I sit down he insists on being on my lap and going to sleep. He
meatloafed
on the carpet tonight, looking at me, impressing on me that it is far
more
important to have me on your knee than your new computer. I ignored
him so
he went out into Storm Desmond claiming he would never come home again.
He will be home in 10 minutes, it's more than windy. He has a chair
of his
own with a nice bed on very near to me and he'll have to learn to use
it. I
am far too soft with this cat.

Tweed

There should be a monitor out port on the back of the laptop, and usb
ports that you can plug in your keyboard and mouse - that way, you can
still use it as a base. Just plug everything in, turn on the computer
and let it boot up, then close the cover.

But the monitor is a very important part of the computer. How can she
use the keyboard and mouse if she can't see what she is doing on the
screen?

I think Mishi is suggesting separate components connected to the laptop
but she mentions the monitor. I don't know why. There's no need for a
separate monitor since one is built in.

Maybe not a *need*, but I would much prefer to use a big monitor. It doesn't
have to be huge, but it's bigger than the laptop's monitor. Especially if
I'm using a separate keyboard. Then I have to set the laptop back to make
room for my keyboard, and with a small monitor like that, it's hard to see
what's on it.

My laptop monitor is 17" which is sufficient. However since my small
desk has a slide-out keyboard tray I don't have to move the laptop to
use the separate keyboard.

I *do* use a separate keyboard and mouse. That's just my personal
preference. Laptop keyboards feel way too cramped for me to easily
type. I dislike the touchpad mouse.

Ditto!

I could never text on a cell phone. LOL I had a cell phone (several
years ago) with a slide-out qwerty keyboard. I found it impossible to
use. Guess I'm just too old (or, as I've been called on another ng, a
Luddite).

Jill
Old December 7th 15, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/7/2015 2:36 PM, Bastette wrote:
Mishi wrote:

There should be a monitor out port on the back of the laptop, and usb ports that you can plug in your keyboard and mouse - that way, you can still use it as a base. Just plug everything in, turn on the computer and let it boot up, then close the cover.

Hijacking the thread for a moment. My laptop setup at home is just as you
describe - I use my laptop as though it was a desktop PC, and plug in the
monitor, keyboard and mouse. However, if I close the cover, it shuts the
laptop down. This was true of my previous laptop as well. I thought they were
all like that. Closing the cover is perceived as a shutdown command.

Well, if I close the cover to mine it doesn't actually shut down, it
goes into sleep mode. There's probably a setting to change that but
since I use the (17") monitor on the laptop rather than a separate
monitor I haven't bothered to find out.

Jill
Old December 7th 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I think Mishi is suggesting separate components connected to the laptop
but she mentions the monitor. I don't know why. There's no need for a
separate monitor since one is built in.

Maybe not a *need*, but I would much prefer to use a big monitor. It doesn't
have to be huge, but it's bigger than the laptop's monitor. Especially if
I'm using a separate keyboard. Then I have to set the laptop back to make
room for my keyboard, and with a small monitor like that, it's hard to see
what's on it.

I've been using two monitors most of the time for the last 20 years.
At the moment I have Finder, mail and Usenet on the lower-res one,
the web browser on the other. That's on a desktop machine, but the
higher end Mac laptops have always let you do different things on the
external monitor to what's on the built-in one.

Old December 7th 15, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 12/7/2015 11:36 AM, Bastette wrote:
Mishi wrote:

[...]

The one I have goes into sleep mode if you shut it. When you open it,
it "wakes up".

Old December 8th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

Bastette wrote:

I think Mishi is suggesting separate components connected to the laptop
but she mentions the monitor. I don't know why. There's no need for a
separate monitor since one is built in.

Maybe not a *need*, but I would much prefer to use a big monitor. It doesn't
have to be huge, but it's bigger than the laptop's monitor. Especially if
I'm using a separate keyboard. Then I have to set the laptop back to make
room for my keyboard, and with a small monitor like that, it's hard to see
what's on it.

My laptop monitor is 17" which is sufficient.

That might be OK for me once I get around to going back to the eye doctor
and getting new prescriptions. I have three prescriptions now, one for
reading, one for distance (good for movies, TV, concerts, or driving someplace
unfamiliar where I need to read street signs), and one for sitting at the
computer, an intermediate distance. This is a very fussy prescription that
has a really narrow distance range. I can see my own monitor, but if I'm in
someone else's office and looking at their monitor, I can't read it, even
though that's only a few inches further away than my own when I'm in my
office. I can't get separate glasses for every single situation. And that
middle zone is constantly changing (read: deteriorating).

However since my small
desk has a slide-out keyboard tray I don't have to move the laptop to
use the separate keyboard.

Those keyboard trays give me shoulder aches - poor ergonomics. I think
they're too low, and they force me to keep my arms low, which pulls down
on my shoulders in a weird and eventually painful way.

I could never text on a cell phone. LOL I had a cell phone (several
years ago) with a slide-out qwerty keyboard. I found it impossible to
use. Guess I'm just too old (or, as I've been called on another ng, a
Luddite).

My fingers are just too clumsy for that.

--
Joyce

"Oh, I wonder, wonder, whooooo, WHO! Who rode the moo-cow now?"
-- Misheard lyric from "Book of Love"
Old December 8th 15, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Mishi wrote:

[...]

OK, so maybe mine is just going into sleep mode, and not shutting down.
Either way, I can't use it.

--
Joyce

Old December 8th 15, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I have never in my life been able to use a laptop on my literal lap. They
are designed for tall people with long legs, whose thighs are perfectly
horizontal when they are sitting in a chair. In most chairs, my feet don't
even touch the floor and my legs are at an angle (pointing downward). I
can
barely keep a laptop on my lap, much less use it!

I am not tall or long-legged but my feet touch the floor in any sort of
chair ;-)
The problem is that that Boyfie expects to sit on my knee if I am in my
armchair and the idea that he can't always do this is really ticking him
off. He does have his own armchair with a donut bed and nice blankie on very
near to mine but that isn't good enough..
The simple fact is that I have spoilt him for 12 years. Rod for own back
comes to mind.

Old December 8th 15, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

I couldn't find out how to shut down my laptop safely for several days - I
just closed the lid and hoped for the best. Fortunately I now know.
It's a learning experience.

Tweed

Old December 8th 15, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/8/2015 1:54 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Bastette wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear that! I got new glasses in July. I don't require such a
complex prescription, though. Just bi-focals. This time they finally
got the prescription right. For a long time I had to lean forward and
tilt my head back to read the screen through the lower lenses. Until
they corrected it that was literally a pain in my neck. We discussed
progressive lenses but I was told it was probably more trouble for me to
get used to them than anything.

However since my small
desk has a slide-out keyboard tray I don't have to move the laptop to
use the separate keyboard.

Those keyboard trays give me shoulder aches - poor ergonomics. I think
they're too low, and they force me to keep my arms low, which pulls down
on my shoulders in a weird and eventually painful way.

I have power tools. When I bought the desk John adjusted the
keyboard tray to accomodate my ergonomic keyboard.

This is my set-up:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vmg96o.jpg

The desk itself was too short for me. It was designed for kids. Thing
is, it was cheap and the *perfect* size for this little corner of the
living room. I had to get creative. I stacked small garden pavers
under the desk supports to raise the desk. I have a nice comfy
adjustable office chair. Everything worked out to the perfect height.

Jill
Old December 9th 15, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
[...]

Not exactly. It will not shut down properly if you just close the lid.
Found this out yesterday.
Start -sleep - shutdown.

Persia is still sulking (partly OT) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 10 February 12th 10 06:26 PM
Sulking badwilson Cat anecdotes 10 June 7th 06 12:57 PM
Silver's sulking Karen AKA KajiKit Cat anecdotes 0 November 27th 04 02:07 AM
Harvey Sulking Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 8 April 10th 04 04:09 PM
Harvey sulking Lots42 The Library Avenger Cat anecdotes 3 November 28th 03 10:43 PM