Storm Desmond

Old December 6th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Default Storm Desmond

Our cats really don't like this. We're on the edge of the storm-hit
area, but it's been continuously wet and windy for a couple of days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35014745
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-35015243

Doesn't help that the Forth Road Bridge has been closed due to
a cracked beam and will stay closed for weeks. Going anywhere
both north and south of Edinburgh has suddenly got much more
difficult.

Ollie is the only one who's been going out, but he comes back
after a few minutes to demonstrate how he can purr and grumble
at the same time.

Old December 6th 15, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Our cats really don't like this. We're on the edge of the storm-hit
area, but it's been continuously wet and windy for a couple of days.

Got it too, not as bad as Barney up till now. Rain for ages here, rivers
are up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35014745
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-35015243

Doesn't help that the Forth Road Bridge has been closed due to
a cracked beam and will stay closed for weeks. Going anywhere
both north and south of Edinburgh has suddenly got much more
difficult.

Ollie is the only one who's been going out, but he comes back
after a few minutes to demonstrate how he can purr and grumble
at the same time.

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Old December 7th 15, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Our cats really don't like this. We're on the edge of the storm-hit
area, but it's been continuously wet and windy for a couple of days.

Got it too, not as bad as Barney up till now. Rain for ages here, rivers
are up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35014745
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-35015243

Doesn't help that the Forth Road Bridge has been closed due to
a cracked beam and will stay closed for weeks. Going anywhere
both north and south of Edinburgh has suddenly got much more
difficult.

Ollie is the only one who's been going out, but he comes back
after a few minutes to demonstrate how he can purr and grumble
at the same time.

I only got the edge of Desmond, one tree down with high winds, no as much
rain like Cumbria got, a months rain in a day.
http://news.sky.com/story/1600420/cu...m-desmond-hits

Old December 8th 15, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Our cats really don't like this. We're on the edge of the storm-hit
area, but it's been continuously wet and windy for a couple of days.

Got it too, not as bad as Barney up till now. Rain for ages here,
rivers are up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35014745
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-35015243

Doesn't help that the Forth Road Bridge has been closed due to a
cracked beam and will stay closed for weeks. Going anywhere both
north and south of Edinburgh has suddenly got much more difficult.

Ollie is the only one who's been going out, but he comes back after a
few minutes to demonstrate how he can purr and grumble at the same
time.

I only got the edge of Desmond, one tree down with high winds, no as
much rain like Cumbria got, a months rain in a day.
http://news.sky.com/story/1600420/cu...s-storm-desmon
d-hits

We got extremely strong winds and loads od rain but no problems as such. I
will point out that Sootie disagrees and while it wasn't a problem to us
peeing in that wind was not pleasant. Some friends of ours live in
Wigton in Cumbria and although they and their family are higher than the
floods, some of their friends and the village are flooded.

Judith

My heart goes out to the Cumbrians who have lost everything (some for a
second time.) and yes millions of pounds were spent on flood defences after
the last time. It should have kept them safe, normally would, but 14 inches
of rain in one day?? That's unforeseeable. I don't think the government
can be blamed for not building flood defences to cope with *that* but they
do say that the flood defences enabled them to have time to evacuate people.
Unfortunately two people lost their lives.
I'm glad I don't live near the coast and next to a river.

Old December 8th 15, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I can't imagine what it must be like to be flooded out of your house and
even if the insurance covered it, I would not want to live there again..
Unfortunately, neither would anyone else, so you'd never seli it, so you are
stuck there.
I carefully made my home a mile and half from a river and I am as far away
from the sea as anyone can get in the UK.
You do have to think about these things..

Old December 16th 15, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

[...]

It really must be horrendous. I always dreamed of moving to the country
near a river or to the coast. The realities hit me many years ago and I'll
stay where I am thank you. I haven't been flooded, I have many restaurants
and pubs close, we don't get many power cuts (I hope I'm not tempting fate
with the strong winds this afternoon), we have two train stations within
walking distance, a reasonable bus service, emergency vehicles can get
here, there's a lovely park a few streets away, a nature reserve a mile
away and it only takes five minutes by car to be in the countryside. I
think I'm almost as far from the sea as you are. It's not too bad in the
Midlands of England is it?

Judith

No. A trip to the seaside is a treat.
Once upon a time when I was a child, my grandfather used to drive us to
Skegness every year because my grandmother had a sister there. It took three
hours to get there. I was not allow to speak in the car "in case you
disturb your grandfather's driving." I vomited from carsickness every 20
miles so they had to stop often. When I got see great auntie Lily I probably
wasn't at my best.
but she was my godmother..
Her house was a bit scary, she had a huge doll on her settee

Big storm! MLB[_4_] Cat anecdotes 1 August 29th 11 05:39 PM
Big storm [email protected] Cat anecdotes 5 October 14th 09 10:58 AM
Ice Storm! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 1 February 9th 07 04:29 PM
N.Z Storm Bev Cat anecdotes 15 February 18th 04 07:07 AM