Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Old December 28th 15, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jill McQuown

Default Happy Holidays, Everyone!

I hope everyone is enjoying whatever holiday they celebrate this season.

I'm posting via Google Groups because Thunderbird started giving me problems when trying to hit the NIN server for newsgroups. I've been fussing with T-Bird issues for a week. Email didn't work for a while, either. After much tweaking of Thunderbird settings email now works fine. The problem is narrowed down to NIN settings for newsgroups.

I emailed NIN support. They're trying to be helpful but it seems there is a bit of a language barrier. I won't go into tech details. They're pretty much telling me to try all the things I've already done. So... here I am using Google Groups, which I despise. I do hope I get this figured out.

Happy Holidays and hug a kitty!

Jill

Old December 30th 15, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 12/29/2015 10:51 PM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
"Jill McQuown" wrote in message
I hope everyone is enjoying whatever holiday they celebrate this season.

I'm posting via Google Groups because Thunderbird started giving me problems
when trying to hit the NIN server for newsgroups. I've been fussing with
T-Bird issues for a week. Email didn't work for a while, either. After
much tweaking of Thunderbird settings email now works fine. The problem is
narrowed down to NIN settings for newsgroups.

I emailed NIN support. They're trying to be helpful but it seems there is a
bit of a language barrier. I won't go into tech details. They're pretty
much telling me to try all the things I've already done. So... here I am
using Google Groups, which I despise. I do hope I get this figured out.

Happy Holidays and hug a kitty!

Jill

thanks u2

Interesting. I had a problem with using Thunderbird for newsgroups too.
I finally unsubscribed and resubscribed to all my newsgroups, one at a
time. Then I read any recent posts and marked all read. Now it seems
to be working okay, except that if I click on an old (read) post I get a
message saying the post doesn't exist.

Joy
Old December 30th 15, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/30/2015 1:56 AM, Joy wrote:
[...]

I had to give up on NIN. It was definitely the problem. The support
from NIN has gone from great to they don't really care. I am now using
eternal-september with Thunderbird. So far no problems.

I was unable unsubscribe from any ngs or even remove the NIN account.
Not even when I was offline. I wound up merely changing all the
settings so it doesn't try to hit that server, period. Then I had to
re-train my eyeballs to ignore NIN still being on the list.

At least I'm able to read and post to ngs again thanks to
eternal-september. I was really just being stubborn. It should not
have taken me six days to give in and try another news server. LOL

Joy, check your T-Bird settings under Synchronization & Storage. If
it's set to delete messages you may just need to modify those settings.

Jill