Ping: Catnipped

Old January 17th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Catnipped

"Gracecat" wrote in message

They tried to do that stateside with something called Farm Bill 2000. It
basically covered many animal issues, bear baiting, rooster fighting, dog
fights... livestock health and puppy mills. They wanted to make every
licensed breeder available for federal standards. The bitch had to be over
a year old, no two litters within 18 months etc and on top of it limiting
the number of breeding pairs.

The bill was knocked down though, oddly enough the AKC fought against it.

One rule I didn't understand the need for is the one limiting litters to one
in 18 months. The advice our vet gave us was to wait till the dog was two
years old to breed, since we always had very small litters like two pups it
didn't seem to wear her down at all. Vet recommended that we breed in her
case on every cycle (five litters, 10 puppies) and then have her spayed .
She was in great health the entire time and retired at five.

How often to have a litter has more to do with the age and health of the
bitch and the size of the litter she has and her ability to care for them.
It also varies by breed.

For that particular rule I think they are unnecessarily taking decisions out
of the hands of the people that know the dogs best.

Jo

Old January 17th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Gracecat" wrote in message

[...]

I read it as you can have two litters within an 18 month period but no more.
Not one litter every 18 months.

I agreed with it because unlimited breeding would allow the puppy mills to
wean much too early in order to breed the bitch again. I'm not a breeder
but the idea of keeping a dog constantly pregnant or nursing with just
enough time to go into heat before she starts over is too much.

Grace