I'm so jealous (D*g related)

Old November 2nd 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I'm so jealous (D*g related)

I went to my brother's house today with his birthday present and card for
tomorrow. He has not been in touch with me since Christmas Day 2009 and I
cannot say that has not hurt me.
Anyway, as I drove up to park, his wife was in a car behind me.
She invited me in to see the new baby. A lovely Cavalier King Charles
Spaniel puppy called Maisie, 16 weeks old. I fell in love with her
immediately.
If I couldn't have a whippet, a CKCS would be my second choice.
I wanted to take her home with me.
I asked if they still had their cat Tigger and they do, he was up on a bed
sleeping upstairs and apparently cool about the puppy.
I *do* so want a dog but I'm afraid Boyfie will move out if I get one so I
daren't.
Tweed

Old November 2nd 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
karla

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I went to my brother's house today with his birthday present and card for
tomorrow. He has not been in touch with me since Christmas Day 2009 and I
cannot say that has not hurt me.
Anyway, as I drove up to park, his wife was in a car behind me.
She invited me in to see the new baby. A lovely Cavalier King Charles
Spaniel puppy called Maisie, 16 weeks old. I fell in love with her
immediately.
If I couldn't have a whippet, a CKCS would be my second choice.
I wanted to take her home with me.
I asked if they still had their cat Tigger and they do, he was up on a bed
sleeping upstairs and apparently cool about the puppy.
I *do* so want a dog but I'm afraid Boyfie will move out if I get one so I
daren't.
Tweed

Cavies are lovely dogs with great dispositions. I've never owed one but
apparently they are good family pets. And Maisie is an excellent name for a
CKCS.

My only experience with spaniels was a Brittany and I'm still recovering
from her. Lots of energy there.

Never owned a Whippet, never seen a live one, just pictures. They just
aren't common around here. What are they like?

My breed of choice is Dalmatian. I'm on my fourth one now, and I expect
I'll always have one in residence. They keep me humble.
Karla

Old November 2nd 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Boyfie would probably be OK with a young puppy, but it might be good idea if
you could do a trial foster before committing to adopt a d*g. Now that
you're home full time you'll be able to train him/her well. Let us know how
it works out for you.

I'd love to have a d*g, but our situation doesn't allow for that and I would
never adopt an animal that I could not care for properly.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 3rd 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Boyfie would probably be OK with a young puppy, but it might be good idea
if you could do a trial foster before committing to adopt a d*g. Now that
you're home full time you'll be able to train him/her well. Let us know
how it works out for you.

I'd love to have a d*g, but our situation doesn't allow for that and I
would never adopt an animal that I could not care for properly.

--

I desperately want a d*g but will not do so if it upsets Boyfie and I think
it will.

Old November 3rd 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Nov 2, 2:26*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
I went to my brother's house today with his birthday present and card for
tomorrow. *He has not been in touch with me since Christmas Day 2009 and I
cannot say that has not hurt me.
Anyway, as I drove up to park, his wife was in a car behind me.
She invited me in to see the new baby. *A lovely Cavalier King Charles
Spaniel puppy called Maisie, 16 weeks old. *I fell in love with her
immediately.

I can imagine _so_ They are adorable as puppies adn grow up to be
really wonderful companions.

If I couldn't have a whippet, a CKCS would be my second choice.

In the abstract, people find this hard to understand. Not the two
breeds chosen but ones first choices being two breeds of such
different _type_ And yet I think this isn't rare at all. Where one
expect a person to say "if not a Wolfhound, then a Staghound," one
hears "If I can't have a Wolfhound, then a Bassett" or a Basenji or
some other breed not at all like a Wolfhound. I think this is the norm
unless the person has a task that they want the dog to perform,
whether it is herding sheep or looking elegant on the lead. I don't
have a favorite, although an Airedale would be nice. Or a Lab like our
Bear. But we already HAVE him. I would never have chosen a Shih Tzu
and told Micki we shouldn't get her and now Samantha has captured my
heart, partly by how she has captured Bear's heart.

I wanted to take her home with me.
I asked if they still had their cat Tigger and they do, he was up on a bed
sleeping upstairs and apparently cool about the puppy.
I *do* so want a dog but I'm afraid Boyfie will move out if I get one so I
daren't.

An older gentleman, set in his ways. You are probably right to
refrain. But still. It's really too bad you can't ASK him.

--
Will in New Haven
Old November 3rd 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"karla" wrote in message

Never owned a Whippet, never seen a live one, just pictures. They just

aren't common around here. What are they like?

To look at or what they are like?
They are amazing. They are kind and calm and you can can tuck them into
your bed to be a hot water bottle.
I've never slept properly since I lost mine.
Tweed

Old November 3rd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Will in New Haven wrote:

In the abstract, people find this hard to understand. Not the two
breeds chosen but ones first choices being two breeds of such
different _type_ And yet I think this isn't rare at all. Where one
expect a person to say "if not a Wolfhound, then a Staghound," one
hears "If I can't have a Wolfhound, then a Bassett" or a Basenji or
some other breed not at all like a Wolfhound. I think this is the norm
unless the person has a task that they want the dog to perform,
whether it is herding sheep or looking elegant on the lead. I don't
have a favorite, although an Airedale would be nice. Or a Lab like our
Bear. But we already HAVE him. I would never have chosen a Shih Tzu
and told Micki we shouldn't get her and now Samantha has captured my
heart, partly by how she has captured Bear's heart.

In general I would not consider myself a "dog person". I do like
individual dogs; in particular I'm very attached to one friend's dog,
who is equally attached to me. But there are many breeds of dogs that
I dislike, and many more that I feel apathetic toward. It's not like
it is with cats, where I'm instantly drawn to just about any cat I
meet, and it takes a *lot* to make me dislike a cat. (There was one
cat I really disliked several years ago, although it was mostly that
I was afraid of him. He was vicious and aggressive, and downright
dangerous. He even put his human in the hospital once, on IV antibiotics
for a week!)

That said, in the vast majority of times when I do feel drawn to a
dog I meet on the street, that dog is a mix, not a purebred. There's
just something about that friendly mutt face that gets me. If I were
going to adopt a dog, I would choose a medium-sized (30-40lb/13-18kg
range) one with a moderately pointy snout and clean/dry jaw (sagging,
drooly jowls - yuck!). Also would prefer a dog that didn't feel the
need to lick my mouth every 2 seconds. In general, cats are far more
circumspect with their body fluids.

Joyce

--
If an animal does something, they call it instinct. If we do exactly
the same thing for the same reason, they call it intelligence.
Old November 3rd 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
karla

"karla" wrote in message

Never owned a Whippet, never seen a live one, just pictures. They just

aren't common around here. What are they like?

To look at or what they are like?
They are amazing. They are kind and calm and you can can tuck them into
your bed to be a hot water bottle.
I've never slept properly since I lost mine.
Tweed
Yes, I meant how do they act, what are they like, and you answered my
question.

Thanks,
Karla

Old November 3rd 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:

[...]

My Grandmother had a dog who was part Spitz and part Airedale. Barney
was a wonderful "outside" dog. Our dog. Rex, was a spaniel mix with a
gorgeous red coat. He was part cocker and either golden or red setter
__ hard to tell, but he was beautiful. He adopted us when he was
about four and we had him 14 years. A good boy. Best wishes. MLB