Outdoor vs Indoor Cats Again!

Old January 7th 04, 12:50 AM
GovtLawyer

That's OK. Because pets exist to give their owners pleasure,
enjoyment, self-gratification. It's not important if the cat is
suffering or is being deprived, as long as it's owner feels he/she is
doing the right thing for the cat. The welfare of the human is
infinitely more important than the welfare of the animal. That's how
it works whether you like it or not.

Yes, I agree, pets exist to give their owners pleasure. Surely, that is why I
have two cats. The latter part of your analysis is flawed. It does matter, to
any decent caring humane pet owner what his pet is feeling. The welfare of the
animal is of paramount importance; I took a huge responsibility when I decided
to imprison two cats in my home. I think I have met that responsibility with
flying colors. They will live a much richer and healthier life with me as a
responsible owner than if I were some sort of a demented naturalist who simply
opened the door for his pet to come and go as he pleased.

Old January 7th 04, 06:09 AM
Ray Ban

(GovtLawyer) wrote in message ...
[...]

Obviously, you didn't consult your pets whether they want to remain
purely indoor pets. You made the decision unilaterally. So, I argue
that you don't really care that they might suffer (mentally) as long
as you satisfy what you think is right, i.e., that they remain
indoors. You can be responsible and still let them outdoors by putting
them on a leash, in a backyard, if you have one, under supervision,
etc.

Old January 7th 04, 04:41 PM
GovtLawyer

Obviously, you didn't consult your pets whether they want to remain
purely indoor pets. You made the decision unilaterally. So, I argue
that you don't really care that they might suffer (mentally) as long
as you satisfy what you think is right, i.e., that they remain
indoors. You can be responsible and still let them outdoors by putting
them on a leash, in a backyard, if you have one, under supervision,
etc.

No, I didn't consult with them. I took a look at them in a cage in a section
set up in a local PetCo for adopting cats. I made an intelligent guess that
they would probably prefer to have the run of my small aprtment then staying in
the cage.

As far as the outdoor thing, I live in the city. I have a problem with people
who let their cats roam around in the alleys and gardens in the middle of the
blocks and between the rears of apartments.

If I didn't make it clear, I am sorry. Of course, anyone who has a backyard
and wishes to tether a cat to a long leash in the backyard, would not be
considered an irresponsible owner in my opinion. I object to allowing a pet to
roam free where the owner loses contact and control over the pet.