What Price For Kitty?

Old February 18th 05, 04:51 PM
rosie readandpost

: I will teach my son "not to sleep around" if and
: when the time comes........................

"sleeping around" is a perfect example of some of the the euphemisms
that are used for the act of intercourse.

educating our children about intercourse and using the proper
terminology, and its consequences SHOULD be a parents job, but there
are many, many, parents out there who do not!

i don't know one person who got pregnant by
"sleeping".....................

rosie
(this is not directed just at L )

Old February 18th 05, 05:40 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:28:53 -0500, "Mary"
wrote:

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:47:22 -0500, "Mary"
wrote:

I was just thinking that. Not. What kills me is the people who
love to tell us of their cat's outdoor hunting expertise and insist
that it is fine to let them roam, then come back and cry because
they have been poisoned, hung themselves on a fence, or have
had their guts ripped out by a dog.

Or my sister. She lets her cats outside, and then wonders why she has
to pay for emergency vet care. My cats do not go outside. That alone
cuts my vet bills.

Oh, man. You would think that she would have learned after the
first injury. That's sad.

Well, fortunately, her newest adoptee is fully indoors. So, she
currently has one that is indoor/outdoor and one that is fully
indoors. Hopefully, all new cats will stay that way.

But yes, she has had way more vet bills than me, and she doesn't seem
to understand why my cats don't have many problems. Sure, some of it
is genetics or luck. But part of it is care too.

Now, the new question of the day. How long does it take an outdoor cat
to give up on going outside? My new adoptee was mostly outdoor, and he
spends a lot of time each day meowing at the doors and windows, and
just plain trying to dig through the sliding glass doors. It's not
enough to be annoying, but I feel bad for him. He obviously wants out,
and I know he will never have that again. *I* know that it is the best
thing for him, but he doesn't. He even meows at a window that does not
open, and is covered by a blanket. He cannot see out, so I don't know
how he knows there is a window behind there. But he sits on the bed,
stares at it, and meows in a sad voice.

That would kill me. Gnarly was about six months old and a pregnant stray
when I adopted her. She was so happy to be off the city streets, she never
even begged to go outside.

Old February 18th 05, 05:43 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:31:45 -0500, "Mary"
wrote:

I have one of those. And a sister with a sense of entitlement that

just
will not quit. The first step toward getting nothing from me is to
EXPECT something. (At least if you are over 18. My nieces and
nephews are all shamelessly spoiled by me, but they are wonderful
kids.)

Same here. My nephew just turned 18, but is still in school, so I
still spoil him

I cannot figure out that sense of entitlement some people have. I've never
had it, and have always worked hard for everything and been grateful for
what I have. My sister, raised beside me, is completely different. She
always watches jealously what everyone else has and measures herself against
it, and if she falls short is it always someone
else's fault. She's passed it on to her daugther, too.

Old February 18th 05, 05:49 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:45:55 -0500 (EST), "Mary"
wrote:

Meghan, you have a new cat!! Where are the photos! Tell all about him!

Here he is:

http://www.zoocrewphoto.com/jayjay.htm

Oh, he is so pretty!!

I hope to have better pictures of him next week. He has gorgeous blue
eyes that don't show up in the digital photos.

He's really sweet. I didn't realize just how big he was until I saw
him next to my other cats. Now, they look tiny.

The shelter lady called him a himilayan mix, but he looks almost
identical to my balinese. He has a couple white toes and a white tear
on his face and his face is thicker. Otherwise, he likes like a
balinese, only maine coon size (but not as heavy as a maine coon). His
coat isn't as thick as a persian, but is a little thicker than my
balinese. I can feel a small mat on his chest, so he will need more
grooming than Kira, but not as much as a persian.

I wonder why he was given up? How long had he been at the shelter, did they
say? He has the coloring I love so much. What made you choose him, or did he
choose you?

He has found some hiding places, the first being in the ceiling.

Oh my.

Fortunately, he came when called, and we were able to board up the
opening, so he can't get back in there.

Amazing. He's already a good boy!

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography

Old February 18th 05, 05:51 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:09:35 -0500, "Mary"
wrote:

Lucky you, lucky her! It would be so different to have a big cat. I've
always had
petite girl cats. If I get to adopt any more, I think I want a great big
Maine Coon-ish
male, or a lovely Orange male. And I really want a Siamese-looking cat,

too.

Ooh! I think I have him!

Big like a Maine Coon, but color pointed like a Siamese. Basically an
oversized Balinese. I have no idea of actual breeding.

I'll have to wait to see if he is the tufts on his feet. He doesn't
currently, but they might have been trimmed. He has a tiny mat on his
foot that I need to clip, so he may have been matted and clipped on
his feet while at the shelter.

Ooo, I am so jealous!! I wish I had a huge old house on a nice sized piece
of land so that I could be the Weird Cat Lady I have always wanted to be!

Old February 18th 05, 06:02 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message
news:1108696084.4679bcd0f1e974b18392e61c365750ed@t eranews...
Lucky you, lucky her! It would be so different to have a big cat. I've
always had
petite girl cats. If I get to adopt any more, I think I want a great big
Maine Coon-ish
male, or a lovely Orange male. And I really want a Siamese-looking cat,
too.

I like big cats too, but I also like small ones, and medium sized one, and
black ones, and white ones, and stripey ones, and tortoiseshell one, and
Siamese, and.... well, you get my drift! ;

I suspect that is true of me too.

Mine range from Sammy (someone on rpca dubbed her Samazon) at 15+ pounds,
Bandit, 9 pounds (which I *used* to think was big), who looks like Sammy,

sveldt little Demi, 6 pounds (gorgeous, all white, long, long hair,
magnificent ruff), to Jessie, 4 pounds (short hair tortoiseshell). You

can
see them all at http://www.gcmensa.org/Sammy2/.

Sammy kills me! That face and that fuzzy little butt! Those ears!
Bandit isn't a Mama's boy, is he? Not much! Tabbies kill me too.
The play spanking photos are great. (What are the yellow things
that look like balloons?)

But when I look at Jessie, my heart just melts. My Cheeks has,
to me, the same sweet, delicate look that just says "Take care
of me! Love me love me love me!" I never thought I would
say this, but Jessie is actually more beautiful than my Cheeks!
She is ethereal looking.

Demi is so pretty but hard to look at because my first cat ever,
Snowball, who was allowed to roam in a suburban area, was
hit and torn apart by a car. I found her under a bush, dying.
I was maybe five years old.

By the way, I love Houston! I have a friend there and fly out every now
and
then just to visit. I love the ethnic diversity there--and might even

live
there,
but I need the distinct seasons.

I like big cities along with big cats, but *man* does it get hot here -

you
*don't* want to be here in August! I'd prefer Denver, CO, but DH doesn't
like snow or cold.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 18th 05, 06:12 PM
Phil P.

" rosie readandpost" wrote in message
: I will teach my son "not to sleep around" if and
: when the time comes........................

"sleeping around" is a perfect example of some of the the euphemisms
that are used for the act of intercourse.

educating our children about intercourse and using the proper
terminology, and its consequences

I feel the *exact* same way about "euthanasia". Euthanasia is the merciful
ending of sick animal's life. Killing a *healthy* animal is *killing* or
*slaughter*.

May be if we didn't use sugar-coated words and descriptions and the used the
proper words, they wouldn't be so easy to swallow and might sicken enough
people and lawmakers to do something about it!

Phil

Old February 18th 05, 06:13 PM
Mary

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Cheryl wrote:

Oh, and Phil? You are very knowledgable about feline issues. You
were partly what got me through Shadow's illness and I'm sure you
didn't approve that I had to put him down and that's ok. You
didn't live with him. I'm sad that you probably will never help me
with cat problems ever again. But this being Usenet, if I need
help and have a stumped vet again, I'll be sure to use a phony nym
and an alternate provider to ask because I'd still want to read
your thoughts about it.

--
Cheryl

Good God, Cheryl - this post almost made me cry. There is no way
*anyone* could rightly say you didn't do enough for Shadow. You
treated him with more love, kindness and compassion than most people
ever would dream of doing. He fought a fierce battle, and you were
right there beside him. Don't *ever* let anyone tell you otherwise.

-L.

I don't believe Phil did any such thing. I think Cheryl should produce
the post in which he did it or retract, as she says.

Old February 18th 05, 06:17 PM
KellyH

"Phil P." wrote in message
nk.net...
May be if we didn't use sugar-coated words and descriptions and the used
the
proper words, they wouldn't be so easy to swallow and might sicken enough
people and lawmakers to do something about it!

Phil

Reminds me of the South Park ep where they wanted to change the name of veal
to "dead baby cow".

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 18th 05, 06:24 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1108749630.d0d877cfc6ee05792c5ffc552a8b5314@t eranews...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote in message
[...]

Again, "she" - I know bad name choice, but when she was only about 5 weeks
old she ran into my living room one day when I opened the door and she stole
my home, all my possession, *and* my heart!

The play spanking photos are great. (What are the yellow things
that look like balloons?)

That's called a "Panic Mouse" - it sits on a base and has a plastic "mouse"
on top of that and the "mouse's" tail is a wire that holds a cat teaser.
You turn it on and it dangles the cat teaser in front of the cat. Fun when
you have a kitten who wears your arm out with the manual cat teaser. Just
be sure not to leave them alone when playing with it - there a strangulation
hazard - so it only comes out when I'm around to supervise.

But when I look at Jessie, my heart just melts. My Cheeks has,
to me, the same sweet, delicate look that just says "Take care
of me! Love me love me love me!" I never thought I would
say this, but Jessie is actually more beautiful than my Cheeks!
She is ethereal looking.

Yeah, those eyes are the only thing "big" on her - she's only 4 pounds!

Demi is so pretty but hard to look at because my first cat ever,
Snowball, who was allowed to roam in a suburban area, was
hit and torn apart by a car. I found her under a bush, dying.
I was maybe five years old.

Ohmygawd, how awful. That's why all mine are permanently indoors - I
couldn't take seeing one of my babies like that!

Hugs,

CatNipped