Memphis Pee Everywhere!

Old June 29th 05, 11:11 PM

Default Memphis Pee Everywhere!

PREFACE
My girlfriend, Julie, has a cat, Memphis. Memphis used to be a
well-behaved cat with relatively few problems, other than the
occasional acting out when Julie spends a couple nights in a row at my
place. Acting out? Yes, she'd sometimes go into the restroom, pee on a
rug and maybe even poo on the floor; but this was usually when Julie
would leave her alone for more than 48 hours (once every couple
months). We figured that this was understandable behavior and lived
with it.

Julie just moved. On June 1, she took a 2 BR flat with another girl,
Rose, with another cat, Penelope. Both Rose and Julie love their
little critters and were excited for the two to have new friends; but
they started them off slowly. The first 3 days, both cats were
confined to their owner's respective bedrooms with litter, food, water.
Then, they were released and explored the common areas at their own
pace. Food and water were moved into the common area over a week ago,
the cats seem to be tolerating each other and seem to be forming a
bizarre cat bond.

Memphis has always been really messy in her litter, managing to track
it around a 30' radius of the box. Julie's new place is considerably
smaller so she bought Memphis a new litter box with a door that closes
while Memphis does her thing; that didn't really solve the problem of
litter everywhere, so Julie changed litter to some organic-looking
black pellets that look like cereal fiber or something. Memphis has
used this new litter for over a week and the new box for nearly a month
with no problems to speak of. The one observation I can offer is that
Memphis seems to take frequent trips (hourly perhaps) to the litterbox;
I might only be noticing this because the box is in the bedroom though.

Two days ago, Rose introduced Penelope to the new, organic-looking
pellets and Penelope was confused. Memphis was kind enough to trot in
front of Penelope and demonstrate proper use in front of all, in
Penelope's litter box.

WHA HAPPENED???
Today Julie returned from school (with LOADS of homework due tomorrow)
to her room drenched in cat urine. She initially thought that the
upstairs apartment had sprung a leak. Then she noticed the odor and
yellow tint. According to her, the urine is EVERYWHERE -- on her bed,
under her bed, in the basket of clean linens, on her computer desk, on
a chair, even on a drill that was on the floor. And it sounds like
there are gallons of pee! She's been using paper towels to absorb the
loads and can fill up a trash can already. So, this is clearly not
just one drip here, two drips there -- this is a deluge of cat ****
everywhere!

WHA TO DO???
I did a little research and many suggest taking the cat to a vet for a
urinary tract inspection. We can do this, but I wonder if it's not a
waste of time & money? Will the vet not tell me what I already suspect:
that the cat(s) is (/are) marking her (/their) territory. I think
there's a turf war going on between Memphis and Penelope. Oddly, only
Julie's room was victimized. No **** anywhere other than Julie's
room...what luck!

HELP...
What do people think? Turf war? Urinary tract infection possible?
Is there any way of establishing culpability? As much urine as Julie
described, it seems certain that both cats are responsible. I'm fine
helping her clean this mess, but if Penelope is responsible, then I
think it's only fair that everyone pitch in.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on this stinking, sticky, slippery
situation.

Thanks,
Mike

Old June 29th 05, 11:49 PM
Wendy

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

First off get an enzyme cleaner to get the stink out. Normal cleaning
products don't remove the odor very well.

Then get the cat to the vet. You will be wasting time working on behavioral
issues if it's a medical one. If the cat has a UTI most likely a Rx of
antibiotics will take care of the problem and she'll be back to using the
box. If you wait the infection could get worse and won't be as easy to clear
up.

Old June 29th 05, 11:59 PM
Karen

No, that is REALLY wierd. No cat goes ALL over like that. I would be
seriously concerned about a health problem.

Old June 30th 05, 12:28 AM

Thanks all for the thoughts. I can see that it makes sense to take
Memphis to the vet, but Julie's been with the two cats for the past 4
hours and there's not been one incident.

Julie also recently discovered a couple more things: some dry food
upchuck on her bed (common Memphis behavior when she's acting out) and
that there's major remodeling going on in the apartment next door.
Presumably this was going on all day (and we believe that the urination
fit happened today), so it seems increasingly likely to me that it is
some sort of behavioral issue.

Still, we have an appointment to see the vet Friday AM. Again, thanks
to all for your insight -- I'll post updates as things develop.

Old June 30th 05, 12:35 AM

Thanks all for the thoughts. I can see that it makes sense to take
Memphis to the vet, but Julie's been with the two cats for the past 4
hours and there's not been one incident.

Julie also recently discovered a couple more things: some dry food
upchuck on her bed (common Memphis behavior when she's acting out) and
that there's major remodeling going on in the apartment next door.
Presumably this was going on all day (and we believe that the urination
fit happened today), so it seems increasingly likely to me that it is
some sort of behavioral issue.

Still, we have an appointment to see the vet Friday AM. Again, thanks
to all for your insight -- I'll post updates as things develop.

I'm glad you have the vet appt. Even if the cat's acted out before,
it's always possible that there's some sort of medical condition that's
causing the present peeing problem. Reading your other post, finding a
lot of pee *everywhere* sounds like a definite red flag - that requires
a vet appt. - to me. Good luck.

Cathy

Old June 30th 05, 12:56 AM
Wendy

I farted around taking my Isabelle to the vet and we both paid for that one.

I justified waiting because after all she only peed outside the box once in
a blue moon - she'd go weeks without an incident and then she'd pee in the
hall. Then days would pass and she'd pee by the front door. Oh well maybe
she's marking her territory because of a cat outside, maybe she's upset by
the foster cats in the bedroom at the end of the hall she was peeing in.
Blah blah blah.

I finally took her and she had one colossal UTI. The first round of
antibiotics didn't clear it up and she still had blood in her urine (I
couldn't see it but it showed up when they tested her urine). After 3 more
weeks (as I recall) on a stronger antibiotic we finally got it cleared up.
She did have one more pee in the hall for old times sake but has tested
clear and had no incidents since then.

If I had just taken her when she first started peeing in the hall she might
have only needed one course of antibiotics and would have saved us a couple
of additional vet visits.

Just my opinion though

ups.com...

Old June 30th 05, 01:58 AM
Karen

in article ,
at wrote on 6/29/05 6:35 PM:

wrote:
[...]

I agree. Plus, if there is construction going on, plus a recent change
moving there, he may be very stressed. Throwing up is not behavioural. It's
that they get upset and it causes them to throw up. Just like can happen to
us. And stress can be a major contributer to not only a urinary tract
problem but also Idiopathic cystitis. I'm really glad you are going to a
vet.

Old June 30th 05, 07:15 PM

Not sure WTH that last post was all about, but I wanted to give an
update: Memphis is at the vet right now, being held for a urine sample
(poor little thing peed out everything she had, so nothing to offer
this morning). They suspected bahavioral adjustment issues, but wanted
a urine sample just in case. When they couldn't get one, they had
their radiologist take a quick peak and he was concerned that she had
stones, so he gave waved his wand over her and discovered that Memphis
has a few stones and a crystal in her bladder. The poor little
darling! I wish I'd never cursed her name after she soiled Julie's
bedroom.

Anyway, once they analyze the urine, we'll know much better what to
expect wrt treatment; but I wanted to thank everyone who took the time
to read and respond. And Memphis thanks you -- without your advice she
wouldn't have seen a vet until tomorrow. She'll soon be okay and
offers purrs of thanks to the community here who offered insight into
her condition.

more memphis and Phoenix pics Sandra Cat anecdotes 0 March 22nd 05 05:20 PM
memphis pic Sandra Cat anecdotes 2 March 20th 05 04:31 PM
Memphis and the plumber! Sandra Cat anecdotes 12 January 30th 05 03:49 AM
Memphis and Phoenix Sandra Cat anecdotes 2 January 26th 05 01:38 PM
Memphis new pic Sandra Cat anecdotes 2 January 4th 05 10:04 PM