Question on adding a new cat to already catted household

Old July 14th 04, 10:07 AM

Default Question on adding a new cat to already catted household

Here's the situation:

Last September I lost my 18 1/2 year old after a long battle with CRF
and just last month I lost my 16 1/2 year old to heart disease. This
leaves me with my 4 year old tabby tomcat who made "OK" through the loss
of his first "Aunt", because the other "Aunt" was there. Now that he
has lost her, he is alright when I am home, but is very quiet and
subdued when left alone. I know the answer is to get him a "sibling"
but that raises a question.

I am going to spend a month or so at a relatives place in the country.

1. Would it be "ethical" or "fair" to adopt a new family member only to
move from the shelter to my home then the 70 miles or so to the house?
Somehow that doesn't seem right to me (call it a gut feeling).

2. There are shelters in the area that I am going to be in; since I will
be there a month or more, it seems more likely to pick one up on that
end since the new addition would have time to adapt to me and Harv,
before we come home. I would prefer this to option one, which thinking
about while writing this has just become a non-option.

Intelligent thoughts and/or comments related to the matter are more than
appreciated.

Harv would be happier and so would I to be back in a multi-cat
environment.

All my cats have traveled with me so this is not new to Harv...he's been
to this house many times... My cats are inside critters except for leash
walks, and the "newbie" wouldn't be granted outside access for awhile (a
couple months).

Thanks for your time..

to reply remove the NOSPAM

Old July 14th 04, 02:24 PM
Karen

I would wait to adopt until you are settled. Are you bringing your tabby tom
with you on the trip?

Old July 14th 04, 02:53 PM
Sherry

I don't have any suggestions, but just want to say I love that term. We
definitely are a "catted household."
We used to be a "dogged household", but are dogless at the moment. :-)

Sherry

Old July 14th 04, 07:02 PM

Yes, Harvey is going with me. It is only about 70 miles from where I
live and he has made the trip there many times.

Old July 14th 04, 07:02 PM

Old July 14th 04, 08:01 PM
Karen

Then I would definitely wait until you got back and into a regular routine
before adopting.

Karen