Isabelle is picking on Tiggy

Old November 18th 03, 01:33 PM
Wendy

Default Isabelle is picking on Tiggy

I'll try to be brief but maybe a little background would be helpful. All
cats mentioned are inside cats and none are declawed.

Tiggy is 16 (8 lbs.- good weight for her. spayed). She has always had a male
companion that she got along with. As of last August we had 2 cats Tiggy and
Ralf (8 yrs. old, 15 lb., large not fat, long hair, altered). Early in
September we found 4 3-wk old kittens. We ended up bottle feeding them. This
caused no big problem as they were confined in a large plastic storage
container and didn't interact with the big guys. I was vigilant to keep them
separated until we were able to get the kittens tested for FIV and feline
leukemia. About a week after taking in the kittens the dh came home with
Isabel (2 yrs old, large and overweight 12 lb. long hair calico, spayed).
Tiggy and Ralf had always spent a lot of time in my bedroom. Tiggy's idea of
exercise was moving from the bed to the couch in the evening. Ralf had
always stayed in the bedroom as he was always a very shy cat. He came out
early in the morning for his breakfast and lovin' from the dh and might show
up in the evening briefly. This made it pretty easy to ease Isabel into the
house as she stayed in the living room during the day and also spent time in
my son's bedroom where the other two didn't usually go anyway. Isabel
settled in quickly, the other two didn't put up much of a fuss when they
finally spotted her and I thought all was going remarkably well. After a few
weeks they could all be in the same room with no hissing or fussing. As the
kittens got older we had to let them out to run around but confined them to
the kitchen at times of the day when the others wouldn't be likely to want
to pass through there. By the beginning of November the kittens were eating
regular food and we had adopted out one. The other three were going to
PetSmart on Saturdays to try to find good homes. Then Ralf got sick suddenly
and we had to put him to sleep (total kidney failure). The dh decided that
we would keep one of the kittens and the other two were adopted together the
next Saturday. Boots (male yet to be altered baby) gets along with both
Tiggy and Isabel. Tiggy doesn't mind him sleeping with her as long as he
doesn't get rowdy and start jumping on her. Isabel acts like his mother or
maybe big sister as she not only gives him baths but also does the rough and
tumble with him.

Now to the problem. As I posted before we had some eating challenges to deal
with. Right now Boots' food is in a box with an opening only large enough
for him to get through. Isabel eats in the laundry room (adjacent to the
kitchen) with the door closed (she scarfs it down all at once). Tiggy eats
in the kitchen in her usual spot. Tiggy doesn't eat all her food at once or
she'll barf it back up so she gets fed small quantities during the day
adding up to a specific amount she's allowed to keep her weight down. I
suspect the friction is over food. Isabel is a chow hound and is less than
pleased with the quantity of food she's getting. We are feeding her the
number of calories recommended for a cat her size and age. But everytime
anyone else is eating she shows up and would butt right in and eat their
food if permitted.

Isabel is bullying Tigger. She's a larger and much younger cat who I suspect
would like to rule the roost. Tiggy has always ruled the roost and isn't in
any hurry to give up her position in life. Isabel has started seeking out
Tiggy (anywhere in the house but the bedroom) and gets in her face, swats
etc. Tiggy is acting really stressed and has had a couple really bad days
with her arthritis this week. I think things would have been fine if Ralf
hadn't died and we adopted out all the kittens but without Ralf to back up
Tiggy the dynamic has really changed.

Any suggestions to get Isabel to leave Tiggy alone? I think Tiggy deserves
some peace and quiet in her later years but I don't want to upset Isabel
either.

At least Boots is sane. He just be-bops around having a good time. Ah! the
benefits of being a kitten.

Wendy

Old November 23rd 03, 08:11 PM

Laura wrote:

When Isabel attacks Tiggy, pick her up
and put her in a room by herself for a
while (five or ten minutes is plenty, I
think). Bathrooms are good. While it
probably won't cure her jealousy/desire for
dominance/whatever, it may at least
mitigate her acting upon it.
If she learns that attacking Tiggy only
brings her "punishment", she may stop.

No, she won't. The above will effectively teach Isabel that Tiggy's
presence is directly responsible for her being punished. This in turn
will do nothing to help the relationship and may very well cause Isabel
to resent Tiggy even more, increase the incidence of aggression and
inhibit the possibility of the two developing a peaceful relationship.

The best thing to do when starting to work on the atual physical
introduction is limit contact between the cats and supervise very
closely, never allowing an aggressive episode to happen. During *any*
negative expression on the resident's cat part it is important to NEVER
reprimand the cat or do anything negative. Instead immediately distract
the cat using something positive like a happy voice or the shake of a
bag of treats and then immediately follow that up with lavish praise.
This will teach the resident cat to associate the new cat's presence
with *good* things and the aggressive behavior will lessen and in most
cases stop altogether.

When she's in the same room with Tiggy
but *doesn't* attack her, lavish her with
attention.

I agree with this part. :-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 24th 03, 04:58 PM
PawsForThought

The best thing to do when starting to work on the atual physical
introduction is limit contact between the cats and supervise very
closely, never allowing an aggressive episode to happen. During *any*
negative expression on the resident's cat part it is important to NEVER
reprimand the cat or do anything negative. Instead immediately distract
the cat using something positive like a happy voice or the shake of a
bag of treats and then immediately follow that up with lavish praise.
This will teach the resident cat to associate the new cat's presence
with *good* things and the aggressive behavior will lessen and in most
cases stop altogether.

On the other hand, doesn't it teach the aggressive cat that when he acts
aggressively towards the other cat that he gets rewarded with treats and/or
play? I am having a problem with my cats. I have a brother and sister who for
the most part get along great. They sleep together and play together. But at
times the brother will pick on the sister, biting her and acting very
aggressive. She howls like crazy in response. No blood is ever shed
thankfully. So what do you think is the best response I can make when they are
fighting like that? I've tried the distraction method but it only works
temporarily.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Old November 24th 03, 11:02 PM
Cheryl

In ,
PawsForThought composed with style:

On the other hand, doesn't it teach the aggressive cat that when he
acts aggressively towards the other cat that he gets rewarded with
treats and/or play? I am having a problem with my cats. I have a
brother and sister who for the most part get along great. They
sleep together and play together. But at times the brother will
pick on the sister, biting her and acting very aggressive. She
howls like crazy in response. No blood is ever shed thankfully.
So what do you think is the best response I can make when they are
fighting like that? I've tried the distraction method but it only
works temporarily.

Ah, the age old question. Today I came home and my house was like
"Fight Club". For the most part my 3 get along ok but poor Shadow,
because of his docile nature, takes the brunt of some chases.
Starting in the last couple of days, Shamrock and Bonnie were more
aggressive than usual which ends up with everyone throwing punches,
including Shadow. He's bopped 'em both on the head a few times and
while I'm glad to see him sticking up for himself, I wondered why all
the aggression lately? Shamrock will walk up to either other cat and
just throw a punch seemingly for no reason! Today it dawned on me.
The Feliway diffuser is empty. I wonder if they get addicted to it,
or if all hell would break loose all the time if there was no such
thing? I sprayed a few spots hoping it can wait until I can get to
the store for a refill.